Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not ALWAYS display next nav instruction on dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently the dashboard navigation screen only shows the next turn when you get close to the turn. Until that point, the dash display shows a map, but no turn instructions. For clarity, let me show two pictures. This first shows the dash while navigating but the next turn is not imminent so it's just a plain map:

tesla-dash-no-next-turn-cropped.jpg

I believe this map is "almost worthless" for the purpose of navigation because it doesn't convey any information about the route itself. By contrast, look at this next image which includes the next turn/instruction information at the bottom, BUT ONLY WHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO THAT NEXT EVENT:

tesla-dash-next-turn-cropped.jpg

Is there any reason the next turn should NOT be displayed all the time? I took this picture 0.3 miles before the next instruction, but why couldn't or shouldn't it display that even 2 miles or 5 miles or even 25 miles ahead of time? The only reason I can think of is that you want to draw attention to it when the turn is about to happen, but surely that could be done through some other mechanism (like a different color or outline). Isn't it always good to know the next navigation instruction, particularly the distance and/or turn direction.

For example, even on a long road trip, wouldn't it be nice to know your next turn or exit is 5 miles ahead vs. 13 miles ahead? Wouldn't it be nice to know that your next turn is to the left or right so you could more gradually work your way into the appropriate lane (particularly during rush hour traffic).

The main map in the center display always shows the next turn information, but I would prefer to use the display for other things (e.g. music, trip energy usage, etc.) when the larger detailed map isn't necessary. Isn't it a reasonable thing for the dash to always display the next turn (or instruction, even if it's "go straight" in my example image above)? I honestly can't figure out why it wouldn't display the next turn. It would seem there's really no extra computation or cost to doing so, given that the main map shows the distance to the next turn and the dashboard map is always updating anyway. Do people really NOT want to see this kind of information earlier/all the time? Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
I think most of us keep nav on the top portion of the screen so it's not an issue, for me at least. I only look to the dash when it comes time to turn and the information is there including the arrow and little dot which is when I need it to know exactly where to turn.

I think most of us keep nav on the top portion of the screen so it's not an issue, for me at least. I only look to the dash when it comes time to turn and the information is there including the arrow and little dot which is when I need it to know exactly where to turn.
Tell me more about the red dot. I haven't seen it and did not know it existed.