Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not an interior option with American Hardwood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Given our new American car company, I wonder why Tesla did not option an American hardwood for the interior. In the quantities we are talking, it requires very few veneer flitches, and all hardwoods have renewable forestry options these days. Walnut, Cherry, Texas Ebony, etc. Just wondering if anyone has had this discussion with them.

Cattledog

That would be a great idea, curly maple, birdseye maple, burl walnut, vertical grain fir, port orford cedar (hinoki), claro walnut and others would be great. Although some hues would clash with certain interior colors. Maybe down the line they can expand the wood selection. I must say that the matte obeche looked waaay better than the banaleaf.

There are some really nice looking and unique Hawaiian hardwoods like tropical koa that can be harvested in a sustainable way.

While it is true that koa "can" theoretically be harvested in a sustainable way, it currently is not a sustainable hardwood. Precious little koa remains in the islands. Most koa came from the Big Island of Hawaii and that's where what is left is obtained. Having researched sustainable koa forestry extensively last year and making a sizable investment therein my understanding is that the current law only permits koa trees that have died a natural death to be harvested. However, the price of the wood is so astronomically high that it is very frequently illegally harvested--poached--and thus the few live trees still standing are being killed bit by bit.

There are several privately funded efforts under way to reforrest parts of the Big Island with sustainably harvested koa. These efforts look quite promising and have the backing of the State and many private investors but it will be 15 to 20 years before the first of these sustainable trees is ready for harvest. In the meantime the current koa coming to market is not honestly sustainably obtained.

Hawaiian koa grows only in Hawaii and is the most beautiful wood I personally have ever seen. The grain, color, semi-translucent depth and magical shimmer are very special. There is an almost reverential feeling in many people when seeing it, myself included. If Tesla did offer koa it should guarantee that their koa is obtained truly only from naturally dead trees or they would be encouraging the illegal poaching and decimation of the remaining koa trees. The price of koa compared to other woods would be exceedingly more expensive too.

A great way to do the localization for Model S. Maple for the Canadians. Pinewood in Mediterranean countries. Chico Zapote for the Mexicans. Deutsche Eiche for the hard boiled Germans. Peuplier pour les francais. :cool:

While it is true that koa "can" theoretically be harvested in a sustainable way, it currently is not a sustainable hardwood. Precious little koa remains in the islands. Most koa came from the Big Island of Hawaii and that's where what is left is obtained. Having researched sustainable koa forestry extensively last year and making a sizable investment therein my understanding is that the current law only permits koa trees that have died a natural death to be harvested. However, the price of the wood is so astronomically high that it is very frequently illegally harvested--poached--and thus the few live trees still standing are being killed bit by bit.

There are several privately funded efforts under way to reforrest parts of the Big Island with sustainably harvested koa. These efforts look quite promising and have the backing of the State and many private investors but it will be 15 to 20 years before the first of these sustainable trees is ready for harvest. In the meantime the current koa coming to market is not honestly sustainably obtained.

Hawaiian koa grows only in Hawaii and is the most beautiful wood I personally have ever seen. The grain, color, semi-translucent depth and magical shimmer are very special. There is an almost reverential feeling in many people when seeing it, myself included. If Tesla did offer koa it should guarantee that their koa is obtained truly only from naturally dead trees or they would be encouraging the illegal poaching and decimation of the remaining koa trees. The price of koa compared to other woods would be exceedingly more expensive too.

ddruz, thanks for the insights. I agree, koa is the most beautiful wood. I visited the Harbor Gallery on the Big Island a few years ago and was just blown away by the beauty and depth of the wood in the furniture and wood sculptures on display there. Plus by the outrages prices, but now understand why.

Hope one day Tesla would consider this wood.

ddruz, thanks for the insights. I agree, koa is the most beautiful wood. I visited the Harbor Gallery on the Big Island a few years ago and was just blown away by the beauty and depth of the wood in the furniture and wood sculptures on display there. Plus by the outrages prices, but now understand why.

Hope one day Tesla would consider this wood.

Hope they don't.....

Call me crazy but I don't think wood belongs on/in cars at all. Unless you are carrying it as cargo.

It just looks weird to me to have wood in an automobile.

I do however think wood grain vinyl stickers are perfectly acceptable on the side of minivans!