Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the Mustang that you're looking for...
This Russian-made Mustang look-alike is really a Tesla Model S in disguise — take a closer look

Aviar Motors, a Russian company, is developing a two-seater that fits that exact niche. Dubbed the R67, the car blends old-school looks with modern technology and performance. It bears an uncanny resemblance to the 1967 Mustang fastback, but shares nearly all of its guts with the Tesla Model S.

Promising 840 horsepower and a 0-to-62-mph time of 2.2 seconds, Aviar claims its R67 will be the "quickest muscle car on the road." We'll have to wait and see just how quick the R67 truly is, but for now, you can learn a bit more about it below.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
How are the self-driving capabilities of the Mustang? Does summon work well? How about the fart app?

You forgot to ask if MME will get the phantom braking of Tesla :) Anyway, I do not understand why people on this forum so against MME. It has many good things, opposite to Tesla it has a usable blind spot detection (real radar for that + LED in the mirrors), Traffic Cross Alert (great safety feature that helped me many times), it has Android Auto/Apple carplay (I love it), it has adjustable headrest (!), ActiveX seats are better in my opinion, 2 screens, etc. Tesla has its own benefits, however, Autopilot is not more than ADAS 2.5 that you can buy with any car nowadays, and phantom braking while on Autopilot is not a pleasant experience (even after I know now when it will happen). FSD L5 will never be achievable by current Teslas without retrofitting them with new hardware sensors. Limited FSD will be possible on particular roads under particular conditions. So maybe L4 is kind of achievable in 2-3 years from now.

Competition is good, and the next couple of years will push Tesla aside a bit. And this is not a bad thing, but rather a force that will drive a Tesla innovation. IMHO.

i still don’t understand the need for CarPlay/AA for Teslas. While I love those systems, I always thought of them as good alternatives to crappy infotainment systems. Tesla infotainment is incredible (IMO) and feature-rich.

what would CarPlay/AA bring to the table?
As others have mentioned, there’s a lot of interest in apps like SiriusXM and Apple Music.
For me, I miss the excellent text / iMessage integration, and substantially better phone integration overall I get with CarPlay in my GTI as compared with my spouse’s MY (which we drive most of the time except for my commute).

Competition is good, and the next couple of years will push Tesla aside a bit. And this is not a bad thing, but rather a force that will drive a Tesla innovation. IMHO.

Agreed. It's sad that if you're looking for an BEV that has quality, AWD, good range (300m+), price around 50K, and maybe a hatchback, you're out of luck. Hopefully this push in terms of completion will mean you'll soon be able to get it all.

Price, AWD, range and hatchback were the most important factors for me, so I ended up with a Y. I knew good and well what limitations I was agreeing to by buying a Tesla. I already had a BEV before this so going back to an ICE vehicle wasn't an option. Hopefully in a few more years we won't have to compromise.

Reactions: Reeler and Shap
i still don’t understand the need for CarPlay/AA for Teslas. While I love those systems, I always thought of them as good alternatives to crappy infotainment systems. Tesla infotainment is incredible (IMO) and feature-rich.

what would CarPlay/AA bring to the table?
I don't have any experience with Carplay but AA and to me the biggest advantage is AA mostly relies on your phone's hardware and I am not constantly bombarded with maps view like Tesla. 99% of the time I don't need maps and directions, I know the route to local Costco, work, home etc. Why waste resources on maps view instead use it towards web browser, audio, dual apps (like V8). AA gives you lot more other apps (Waze, Pandora, news, podcast and Google voice is lot more diverse compared to Tesla voice engine).

I don't have any experience with Carplay but AA and to me the biggest advantage is AA mostly relies on your phone's hardware and I am not constantly bombarded with maps view like Tesla. 99% of the time I don't need maps and directions, I know the route to local Costco, work, home etc. Why waste resources on maps view instead use it towards web browser, audio, dual apps (like V8). AA gives you lot more other apps (Waze, Pandora, news, podcast and Google voice is lot more diverse compared to Tesla voice engine).

Everyone's priorities are different. I am not driving without google maps or Waze, regardless if I know the route or not. At the absolute minimum, it will alert me on police traps (that feature alone saves a lot of $$$). It is not about knowing the route, it is about being 'smarter' on the route.

Reactions: Reeler and Ciaopec
The Mach-e is definitely an attractive vehicle with a lot to like. I think this video does a great job of summarizing why the MY is likely to be a better choice for many:

For me, there are things to like in both, but Telsa and BEV are synonymous in my mind. Aside from selling a handful of all-electric Focuses and some HEVs, Ford is basically brand new to mass-scale BEV production. I know that this is technically also first production year for MY, but given it's similarities to M3 and Tesla's massive leaf in BEV production, it just seems the better choice for me right now. (This is despite having been a Ford fan for a couple of decades and being on my 5th Ford vehicle currently, and despite a very close friend who's family owns two local Ford dealerships whom I sadly know will be very unhappy to lose me as a customer.)

The Mach-e is definitely an attractive vehicle with a lot to like. I think this video does a great job of summarizing why the MY is likely to be a better choice for many:

For me, there are things to like in both, but Telsa and BEV are synonymous in my mind. Aside from selling a handful of all-electric Focuses and some HEVs, Ford is basically brand new to mass-scale BEV production. I know that this is technically also first production year for MY, but given it's similarities to M3 and Tesla's massive leaf in BEV production, it just seems the better choice for me right now. (This is despite having been a Ford fan for a couple of decades and being on my 5th Ford vehicle currently, and despite a very close friend who's family owns two local Ford dealerships whom I sadly know will be very unhappy to lose me as a customer.)

The right thing (in my mind) is to lease a car for a couple of years and then we all will have a great choice of cars. Owning a technology that changes so fast maybe very expensive at the end.

And btw, owning EV is MORE expensive than an ICE car, even with the cost of repairs of ICE. We buy EV because we like the way it drives, not because it is cheaper to maintain or gas.

Reactions: MXLRplus
In the comment section of that video I found a link to another video about an earlier prototype electric Mustang:

Seems like they have built a real beast of a performance car, but Ford decided not to pursue that for the market, but go with the SUV model and much lower performance instead, Interesting!

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I love the Ford but bought the 3... The charging network and navigation is the reason why. I will travel all over the country. I get in the 3 and tell it to navigate to my destination and go, chargers auto populate on the nav. Ford does not have the charging network for random across country trips. Hope they do soon.

I love the Ford but bought the 3... The charging network and navigation is the reason why. I will travel all over the country. I get in the 3 and tell it to navigate to my destination and go, chargers auto populate on the nav. Ford does not have the charging network for random across country trips. Hope they do soon.
Exactly. The Tesla haters seem to overlook this issue.

Exactly. The Tesla haters seem to overlook this issue.
That’s a simplistic conclusion.

I will come across as a Tesla hater to some, but I’m buying Tesla because of the software and charging network. But just because I love the embedded software, the range and the charging network I won’t accept a crappy paint job. So I sit on the sidelines with my order in hold until I’m confident I can get my white MY with matching paint and splotchy-free paint.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bridor
3 reasons to not buy the ford Mach E.

1 Ford is using a modified platform based on Ford Focus. This why they are buying a platform from Volkswagen for Europe.

the model Y is much larger car in the interior then cars that are actually ugly much larger. This is because it was built on a real electric platform. The model Y is a small SUV but actually has as much cargo space as a midsize in some cases much more room then for instance a BMW X5

2. I like the fact the model Y is simple this includes the fact there is fewer parts like a transmission. The Mach e has a transmission form borg Warner (as is a lot parts sourced from their generic parts). What this tells me is they hastily built it and putting a lot marketing spin.

3. They are going to be made in Mexico. I rather buy an American made Tesla

I have little faith Ford is going to survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennisis
3 reasons to not buy the ford Mach E.

1 Ford is using a modified platform based on Ford Focus. This why they are buying a platform from Volkswagen for Europe.

the model Y is much larger car in the interior then cars that are actually ugly much larger. This is because it was built on a real electric platform. The model Y is a small SUV but actually has as much cargo space as a midsize in some cases much more room then for instance a BMW X5

2. I like the fact the model Y is simple this includes the fact there is fewer parts like a transmission. The Mach e has a transmission form borg Warner (as is a lot parts sourced from their generic parts). What this tells me is they hastily built it and putting a lot marketing spin.

3. They are going to be made in Mexico. I rather buy an American made Tesla

I have little faith Ford is going to survive.
I hope you are wrong because my Fords have been the best vehicles I have owned. Hopefully Ford will finance its own electric division
like Volvo has. It can then start clean but it needs to hurry. The F150 Electric should be available now, not 5 years from now.

Mustangs have never been seen as high quality cars. They are sporty cars, built to a value price point and offer hp at lower costs than the Europeans. Also famously labeled Secretary cars.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The last Mustang I drove (a 2019 rental in Texas for a COTA event) had better fit and finish than my Tesla. Why do you think Mustangs are poorly made?
The first 4 seater production-stock car I drove into the 11's in the quarter was a 2003 Terminator Mustang Cobra with the 4.6L DOHC mated to the Borg Warner T-56 six-speed. Even by today's standards that's a quick pony. Definately not a car for the meek, to click off an 11 sec with one, you need to keep it matted. That is 'no-lift-shift' aka powershifting.

The era of the Fairmont chassis Mustangs (Fox body) was what? 40 years ago? People somehow believe automotive development in America halted in the 1980's. I can assure you that is not the case.

BTW - I'm not a Ford fan, but I'm sure that 2003 pony I was hired to test at Carlsbad Raceway is quicker than my Tesla. And that's a lifetime ago in car years.

Last edited: