Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better brand name is foolish. Nobody braggs they drive a Ford. Owning a Tesla is still truly aspirational.

Even current Mustang owners look down their noses at the plain looking Machi. For Mustang owners it is all about the cool looking coupe with the stirring V8 exhausts. Not about a boring looking SUV with the $5,000 additional dealer markup.

I seriously considered both because for me owning an EV is more important than a brand.
I chose the model Y for the following objective reasons.
1. Charging speed: although most of the charging will happen at home, it is a requirement that it replace my gas car, so the occasional road trip with cargo is imperative. Simply put the Tesla has a better maintained network and more capable chargers on the road. Yes you can make a road trip in a non Tesla and I've done it many times, but I can't count the number if times I've been on the road in my non Tesla EV and pulled up to a broken charger or one that's occupied with no other options nearby. It's incredibly frustrating sometimes.
2.Cost: Factoring in the federal rebate I'd only be saving a few thousand with a comparable range MachE. The price difference I believe is justified by the charging differences noted above.
3. Efficiency: based on currently available specs the Tesla is more efficient and therefore has less energy cost per mile. Likely won't make up the cost difference over the life of the vehicle but it will bring the cost Delta down a bit.
4.As for build quality I'm sure Ford would do better but I'm not picky, I just want the car to get me from point A to B and have cargo space for recreation. I could care less how the car looks, but that's just me.

I’d consider a Mach E over a Y except for one thing: the supercharging network and the speed of fast charging.

I don’t live in California or near the east cost and DCFC chargers are not as prevalent in the mid-west and the places I am mostly to travel.

For that reason ALONE, I cannot give any real consideration to the E. I won’t buy a Jaguar e-Pace for the same reason (and its efficiency).

But I damn well am gonna test drive one and compare them. No doubt about that.

I welcome the competition. I am looking forward to seeing how far the other side has come. Or how much they haven’t.

I’d consider a Mach E over a Y except for one thing: the supercharging network and the speed of fast charging.

I don’t live in California or near the east cost and DCFC chargers are not as prevalent in the mid-west and the places I am mostly to travel.

For that reason ALONE, I cannot give any real consideration to the E. I won’t buy a Jaguar e-Pace for the same reason (and its efficiency).

But I damn well am gonna test drive one and compare them. No doubt about that.

I welcome the competition. I am looking forward to seeing how far the other side has come. Or how much they haven’t.

Michigan is mid-west and has no CCS support? The E-Pace (gasoline only) has no gas stations in Michigan?

I'm not a fan of the Mustang, but at least do your homework.

SS Gemini-s.jpg

More EVs the better
Let's hope the Mach E is a decent startup for FORD

Love my MY Spaceship, would not consider the FORD a truly strong competitor for what I want
Which is loads of storage space

Last edited:
Just read an article where dealers are already marking it up 15,000 to 25,000 for the initial builds. Of course these dealers really don't want to sell an EV as they know they won't get all those service dollars. It will be interesting to see if it survives more than a few years.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yes but most people actually don't use Tesla Supercharging, for your average Joe they just charge it at home. Also there are millions of charging stations around the world that will support the Mach-E. The 10k dealership tax is noted, but remember Tesla has stupid lease deals. 600 dollars a month to lease a Model 3. Where as the Mach-E will be leased for cheaper, 400-500 dollars.

You came here and asked "why". So I answered your question. If you want to argue about it, it will cost you. My usual rate for an argument is $1000/hr., payable in Nigerian currency. If you want abuse, please go down the hall.

Not sure I would buy a Ford, but it has a display behind the steering wheel and Carplay. Tesla has the worst fit/finish of any brand according to JD Powers so it is fair to think Ford will be better. You have to pay $10/mo to get decent media options from Tesla's proprietary nav when the phone in your pocket has all that and more for free. The full tax rebate is nice too for the Ford. I think I would wait for the second year of production on either brand, which will get rid of the dealer markups that I would never pay on any car and most of the fit/finish issues.

Not sure I would buy a Ford, but it has a display behind the steering wheel and Carplay. Tesla has the worst fit/finish of any brand according to JD Powers so it is fair to think Ford will be better. You have to pay $10/mo to get decent media options from Tesla's proprietary nav when the phone in your pocket has all that and more for free. The full tax rebate is nice too for the Ford. I think I would wait for the second year of production on either brand, which will get rid of the dealer markups that I would never pay on any car and most of the fit/finish issues.
"Decent media options", most of which do not exist in the future to market FORD
Options that are here now, and will improve, nonstop with Tesla

I really do hope the FORD sells well though, competition is good

"Decent media options", most of which do not exist in the future to market FORD
Options that are here now, and will improve, nonstop with Tesla

I really do hope the FORD sells well though, competition is good

I rented the a stripped Ford F150 at Enterprise recently.
It's cellphone integration and nav is superior to my 2020 Model X which cost nearly 3 times as much.

It's not a well kept secret that Tesla is >4 years behind the curve in infotainment from all the other automakers. It's an acceptable trade-off in my opinion. But should another EV match the Tesla performance and range, then all bets are off.

I rented the a stripped Ford F150 at Enterprise recently.
It's cellphone integration and nav is superior to my 2020 Model X which cost nearly 3 times as much.

It's not a well kept secret that Tesla is >4 years behind the curve in infotainment from all the other automakers. It's an acceptable trade-off in my opinion. But should another EV match the Tesla performance and range, then all bets are off.
Interesting "opinion"
Tesla develops all their software, not relying on cell phone mfgs for this
I guess you just have to have a different mind set, I don't feel tethered to a phone in the MY
It's there wireless charging, not sure why you would use a phone for navi, didn't in my ACURA or the Tesla
As far as infotainment, how is that F-150 ahead ?