Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not make the cards smaller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any reason for the cards to be larger than 1 cm by 3 cm? RFID chips are tiny, so the biggest requirement would be a place to punch a hole. I have several store club cards that are this size and they all fit nicely on my keychain. If your card is with your other keys, you would be very unlikely to forget it. It would also be easier to use if it wasn't buried in my wallet.

Is there any reason for the cards to be larger than 1 cm by 3 cm? RFID chips are tiny, so the biggest requirement would be a place to punch a hole. I have several store club cards that are this size and they all fit nicely on my keychain. If your card is with your other keys, you would be very unlikely to forget it. It would also be easier to use if it wasn't buried in my wallet.

Potentially losing it possibly? I finally carry no physical keys at all, just my skinny Bellroy wallet, phone and car fob (non Tesla). I like the credit card size of the M3 card but see no reason why they couldn’t supplement it with a smaller key ring card for those who desire it.

Reactions: EchoDelta
Offtopics:
I hope you can toss the cards in the washer and dryer and they survive #innovation (Actually I wish washer dryer companies put rfid readers and alerted if a non clothing rfid is sensed...)

I don’t see myself using the cards much other than for long trips or special situations where I may want to lend the car/ valet/ etc.
I do hope the car doesn’t go bananas/ not sleep/ wake up constantly/ unlock itself / etc if you leave one in the glove compartment.

Making it a size to fit on a key ring seems nonsensical for a piece of hardware designed to do away with keys. It would just be a funny-shaped key then. Making it a credit card size means that your wallet already has a spot designed to hold it. If it were smaller than that, but still bigger than a keyring size, then you'd still put it in your wallet but would have to fish it out from a pocket that it did not fill up, making it less convenient.

I think the credit card size is pretty perfect and convenient for most people. The only thing I don't think is convenient is the fact that (I think) you need to place the card in the centre console to start the car. If this is correct I think that would be a bit annoying. My current car has keyless entry and start. So I just keep the key fob in my pocket/bag and get in and go. Having a "key" the size of a credit card, it would be much more convenient to just keep it in my wallet, get in and go. Having to take it out and put it somewhere in the car kinda defeats the purpose I think.

Am I right in thinking that the card has to be placed in the centre console to start the car? I saw this early on, but it could've just been one of those things that needed to be clarified.

Last edited:
I’m hoping more like $5...
Sure let's debate details of dreamy speculations.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd say there's a sweetspot price where people value it enough that they won't be left around in jeans, drawers, bags, jars, lying on the pavement, and become e-litter that happens to unlock cars. Contributing those little piles of SD cards or SIM cards some people have at home.
Again, I foresee most people just using the phone, eventually maybe watches when software and hardware meets the bar; and the card receding as the 'hard backup' or tool for special use case / special preference. The potential to run software in the phone makes it possible to do so many more things - that I'd see why Tesla wants to encourage it being the primary methods.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Sure let's debate details of dreamy speculations.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd say there's a sweetspot price where people value it enough that they won't be left around in jeans, drawers, bags, jars, lying on the pavement, and become e-litter that happens to unlock cars. Contributing those little piles of SD cards or SIM cards some people have at home.
Again, I foresee most people just using the phone, eventually maybe watches when software and hardware meets the bar; and the card receding as the 'hard backup' or tool for special use case / special preference. The potential to run software in the phone makes it possible to do so many more things - that I'd see why Tesla wants to encourage it being the primary methods.
I want a Dick Tracy watch to control my TESLA, and I want it now!
dick-tracy-watch.jpg

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand and DR61
I prefer the size Tesla chose. I will stop carrying keys once I get my Model 3. The only convenient place to carry the card is in my wallet where the card is perfectly sized. Anything smaller and I would probably lose it. With 400k or 500k of these things slated to be on the road soon, I am sure someone will discect the card and document where the RFID chip is and how small you can cut it down...

Wallets will soon be a thing of the past as we go cashless, wireless, and chips embedded under the skin (don't laugh, it works great on my dog!).
Not really thrilled about that trend. If there's one thing much less convenient than carrying a wallet it's holding your dog against the B pillar every time you want to unlock your car.

Well, I just had a revelation. My initial thought was with the OP, it would be more convenient to have smaller card on my key ring so I carry it with me along with all my other keys. Then I read this ...

What are these “keychain” and “key” things you speak of?
So I looked at my key ring and the only key I use is my car key. There is a key to my house that I use, maybe, once every couple of months, and a key to a rental that I use even less frequently. I could keep my house key in the car and do away with the key ring altogether.... That'll be strange....

It's credit card size for reasons of convention. But how did credit cards get to be the size and shape they are?
The first credit card was made to duplicate the form factor of a Rolodex card (some may remember what that is, but for everyone else, it was a desktop device that offered quick and convenient access to contact names, addresses and phone numbers, no battery or charger required).
So Tesla's ultra-techie, one giant leap into the future access card is the same size and shape as an ancient Rolodex card.
But then, we still talk about EV output in terms of horsepower, too.
Robin