Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not OEM tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people consider other tires than the Continental ProContact RX “19?

I assume that the OEM tires the most tested to match the Model Y characteristics.
I also assume that Tesla doesn’t cut corners for quality.

What are the benefits of the other brands?

Why do people consider other tires than the Continental ProContact RX “19?

I assume that the OEM tires the most tested to match the Model Y characteristics.
I also assume that Tesla doesn’t cut corners for quality.

What are the benefits of the other brands?
To address wynnek's comment about "foam inside." All tire shops these days should have experience with foam. It isn't a problem, other than requiring additional labor steps.

Other brands: Quieter, smoother ride. Better traction in ALL conditions. Possibly longer tread life, but that remains to be seen, as there aren't many here with "other brand" tires with higher miles.

I believe the ONLY benefit of the OEM ContiProContact is efficiency. Conti achieves this with a harder rubber compound, stiffer sidewalls. I don't see the foam insert as any acoustical advantage at all.

Reactions: GOVA and Gigaron
I also assume that Tesla doesn’t cut corners for quality

Wrong on both counts. The OEM tires are often of poorer quality, mine did not come with a tire warranty and wore out in about 15,000 miles. Do yourself a favor and buy quality tires.

The OE Continental ProContact RX tire that comes with the 19" wheels is an OK tire for daily use with the exception of low rating for traction on snow and ice. After 2.5 years the wear has been average. (The ProContact starts with 9/32nd inch tread depth while many tires start with 10/32nd inch tread.) The replacement cost of the Continental ProContact RX tire is on the high side. You can purchase a better performing tire for the same or lower price. More tire retailers are refusing to repair tires that have the acoustic foam citing failed repairs as the reason.

I suggest the OP go to Discount Tire and buy the tire warranty as well. If a tire cannot be repaired, for say a nail in the sidewall or because the tire has form, they replace it for f. It can be used at any Firestone or Tires Plus location.

The OE Continental ProContact RX tire that comes with the 19" wheels is an OK tire for daily use with the exception of low rating for traction on snow and ice. After 2.5 years the wear has been average. (The ProContact starts with 9/32nd inch tread depth while many tires start with 10/32nd inch tread.) The replacement cost of the Continental ProContact RX tire is on the high side. You can purchase a better performing tire for the same or lower price. More tire retailers are refusing to repair tires that have the acoustic foam citing failed repairs as the reason.
I only got 27,000 miles out of my tires and I don't have a lead foot. In addition, Firestone refused to look at one of my tires with a nail in it because of the foam.

Reactions: Olle
I assume Tesla chooses OEM tires based on their having the minimum necessary functionality while providing the maximum profitability to Tesla. Why would they do anything else? There are almost certainly better choices for performance in different use cases as well as for cost to the end consumer. Different people will choose to optimize differently, hence many choices at many price points.

Tesla buyers seem to worry much more about repairability than any other group of car buyers I've run across. In other brands all the talk is about cornering ability, or getting 80,000 miles, or mud traction. For some reason Teslas appear to attract nails into their tires (big magnets in the motors?); not an issue I've heard discussed so much on any other car forum (personally I've had dozens of flat tires over the decades, but never one from a simple, repairable puncture wound).

• Funny
Reactions: Olle
I assume Tesla chooses OEM tires based on their having the minimum necessary functionality while providing the maximum profitability to Tesla. Why would they do anything else? There are almost certainly better choices for performance in different use cases as well as for cost to the end consumer. Different people will choose to optimize differently, hence many choices at many price points.

Tesla buyers seem to worry much more about repairability than any other group of car buyers I've run across. In other brands all the talk is about cornering ability, or getting 80,000 miles, or mud traction. For some reason Teslas appear to attract nails into their tires (big magnets in the motors?); not an issue I've heard discussed so much on any other car forum (personally I've had dozens of flat tires over the decades, but never one from a simple, repairable puncture wound).
You're joking, right? RIGHT??? ;)

People are being a little harsh on Tesla. Plenty of European luxury car manufacturers spec Continentals as their OEM tire, my E-Class had them when i bought it. I think my A4 had them, too, but I don't remember for certain. I have never liked Continentals and have a very strong preference for Michelins but BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. all spec Continentals.

The range is better than what some others are going with. The reason folks are going with tires like the DWS06 are for the "ultra high performance" all season rating as well as better snow/ice performance. The hit on range is about 10-12% when I researched them which is why I didn't go with them.

As for treadwear I had 25,000 miles on OE Pro Contact RX and still had between 6 and 7/32nd tread left. That said it will depend on many factors such as roads, temperatures, if you keep them properly inflated and rotated, etc. I was meticulous about tire pressure and kept them at 42 psi. Also, Tesla let's many cars go out of the factory with bad alignment which can increase tire wear significantly.

Reactions: Pianewman
The range is better than what some others are going with. The reason folks are going with tires like the DWS06 are for the "ultra high performance" all season rating as well as better snow/ice performance. The hit on range is about 10-12% when I researched them which is why I didn't go with them.

As for treadwear I had 25,000 miles on OE Pro Contact RX and still had between 6 and 7/32nd tread left. That said it will depend on many factors such as roads, temperatures, if you keep them properly inflated and rotated, etc. I was meticulous about tire pressure and kept them at 42 psi. Also, Tesla let's many cars go out of the factory with bad alignment which can increase tire wear significantly.
I still had 4-5/32" after 30k miles on the OEM ContiProContact. About 14k miles were highway road trips, the rest DFW region local.

I didn't realize how poor they were until I swapped them for Michelin PilotSport A/S 4. Poor in every area: noisy, harsh riding, poor dry/wet traction. The only area I never tested was snow.

As for efficiency, lifetime 30k miles with ContiProContact was 287Wh/mi, and after 6k miles with the MichelinPS, efficiency has gradually improved to 311 Wh/mi (started around 320 Wh/mi.)

YMMV

I still had 4-5/32" after 30k miles on the OEM ContiProContact. About 14k miles were highway road trips, the rest DFW region local.

I didn't realize how poor they were until I swapped them for Michelin PilotSport A/S 4. Poor in every area: noisy, harsh riding, poor dry/wet traction. The only area I never tested was snow.

As for efficiency, lifetime 30k miles with ContiProContact was 287Wh/mi, and after 6k miles with the MichelinPS, efficiency has gradually improved to 311 Wh/mi (started around 320 Wh/mi.)

YMMV
"gradually improved" ? Your Wh/mi are degrading in terms of efficiency between the Conti's -> Michelin.

Yes I need some more coffee :) That's a fairly insignificant change though , statistically speaking.
Agreed. I don't obsess over efficiency (that's a lie...I check it every few hundred yards while driving, always curious) especially when on a road trip, because SuperCharger spacing allows me to drive as fast as I want in between SCs w/o range anxiety. Of course, overall, it takes longer than an ICE to get to any destination.