Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not OEM tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I don't obsess over efficiency (that's a lie...I check it every few hundred yards while driving, always curious) especially when on a road trip, because SuperCharger spacing allows me to drive as fast as I want in between SCs w/o range anxiety. Of course, overall, it takes longer than an ICE to get to any destination.

I’d agree. However… I use Kettleman City as my go to fuel station traveling to and from LA/LV. I enjoyed the lunch there while it gave me a full charge, usually enough for the rest of the day travel. I used to arrive there at 14% in summer and 9% in winter. With my new DWS06+ and further battery degradation, it looks like I can’t make it anymore.

I now have 12k miles on the 19" Michelin PilotSport A/S4 tires, tread down to 8/32" (I believe they started at 12/32"?)

6k miles have been road trips, driving 75-85mph, so it's not surprising that my consumption is around 319wh/mi. It isn't fair to compare this to the 289wh/mi I averaged in 30k miles on the OEM ContiProContacts, because I no longer conserve energy while road tripping. Supercharger spacing on the highways I travel have eliminated any "range anxiety" and I drive faster than I did in the previous 30k miles.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I now have 12k miles on the 19" Michelin PilotSport A/S4 tires, tread down to 8/32" (I believe they started at 12/32"?)

6k miles have been road trips, driving 75-85mph, so it's not surprising that my consumption is around 319wh/mi. It isn't fair to compare this to the 289wh/mi I averaged in 30k miles on the OEM ContiProContacts, because I no longer conserve energy while road tripping. Supercharger spacing on the highways I travel have eliminated any "range anxiety" and I drive faster than I did in the previous 30k miles.
According to TireRack the 245/55/19 Pilot Sport AS4 starts at 10/32" so 12K miles in 2/32" isn't too bad. In addition, your 10% efficiency penalty while not trying to conserve is also pretty good and impressive to me.

When I replaced my tires a month ago I asked the tire shop about alternatives (more specifically, about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus), but they recommended me to purchase the OEM tires which I did. I don’t believe they had any bias there.
I’ll dig into this again in 2-3 years, hopefully by then there will be more concrete evidence towards aftermarket tires.

According to TireRack the 245/55/19 Pilot Sport AS4 starts at 10/32" so 12K miles in 2/32" isn't too bad. In addition, your 10% efficiency penalty while not trying to conserve is also pretty good and impressive to me.
You're correct, Pilot Sport AS4s started at 10/32".
Efficiency update:

First 30k miles, on OEM ContiProContact 19", 287 wh/mi.
From 30k to 42k miles, Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s, 19", (lots of highway cruising at 75-80mph) 328 wh/mi.

Now at 42k, lifetime says 290wh/mi. Of the 42k miles I've driven, about 18k have been highway road trips, 75-80mph.
Hope this makes sense.

I went with another brand (Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack) mainly because no tire stores would repair the Continentals because of the foam inside.
I had a nail in one of mine when I had a model three… And I simply used to repair kit to fix the tire and had no problems at all.

The mobile technician from Tesla told me that they do make replacement foam for the inside of the tires in case you actually damage the fom for any reason… But that was never a problem.

Reactions: CaseyL
I’m putting new 19” wheels on my M3P and need 19” tires to go with. It sounds like the Pilot Sport AS4 are a fine choice. Anyone think I should like at an alternative?

(I also have brand new 20” überturbine’s I need to sell)

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+ currently at 300wh/mi after 2k miles, vs 283wh/mi I got on stock ProContact tires (20k miles before popped), with a more conservative driving style on the new tires. Note my first 10k miles had a poor 290+ efficiency due to an aftermarket part, after its removal my efficiency was steady at around 270, therefore the range hit with new tires is about 11%. I also drive a bit slower (max 80 vs max 85) and more gentle on the acceleration since they seem to affect efficiency more than before.

I’m surprised on the range hit in high speed highway drives. I thought the major range hit would be air resistance in such cases which remained the same, however I see about the same percentage hit in both high and low speed drives.

Using FSD beta also resulted more efficiency loss due to jerkier speed control. This is also evident in manual driving. Being extremely careful with pedal and not caring at all now make huge difference. On the stock tires, using FSD beta and manual driving gave me little difference on efficiency, thanks to low rolling resistance technology I guess.

But I do not regret a bit. I was so much more confident in my recent skiing trips, that’s what really matters.

Michelin PilotSport AS4 — I was surprised by the efficiency hit (20% vs. my almost-bald OEM tires) but hopefully they will break in.
I have about 14K on my AS4's now, efficiency hit around 10% initially but now back down to 272 (same as OEM Goodyears) again at 29K. Had to correct this from first post!

Last edited:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+ currently at 300wh/mi after 2k miles, vs 283wh/mi I got on stock ProContact tires (20k miles before popped), with a more conservative driving style on the new tires. Note my first 10k miles had a poor 290+ efficiency due to an aftermarket part, after its removal my efficiency was steady at around 270, therefore the range hit with new tires is about 11%. I also drive a bit slower (max 80 vs max 85) and more gentle on the acceleration since they seem to affect efficiency more than before.

I’m surprised on the range hit in high speed highway drives. I thought the major range hit would be air resistance in such cases which remained the same, however I see about the same percentage hit in both high and low speed drives.

Using FSD beta also resulted more efficiency loss due to jerkier speed control. This is also evident in manual driving. Being extremely careful with pedal and not caring at all now make huge difference. On the stock tires, using FSD beta and manual driving gave me little difference on efficiency, thanks to low rolling resistance technology I guess.

But I do not regret a bit. I was so much more confident in my recent skiing trips, that’s what really matters.
This is my go to tire now, have a 18' model 3 RWD with the 19" sport wheels, after a few thousand miles I wanted a better tire, looked all around and almost got the pilot sport A/S but the weight hit was a lot because I wanted to change to a 255 from a 235, the Conti was about 3 lbs. lighter, to me this is the size that should have came stock on the car, handling, braking are so much better, after 18k on the original tires and then another 18k on the new size I was showing a 7% range hit, not too bad.
Just got a MYAWD yesterday and first thing I did was replace the 255/40/20 goodyears with the 275/40/20 DWS06 plus, got the take offs on the classifieds here, like this size better than stock on the Y also.

IMG_0063.jpeg

The first thing I noticed with the EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 5 (M+S) - SIZE: 255/40R20 was that they do not stop as quickly as the AS4s.

That being said, you definitely get 10% better mileage out of an MYP. The good years are far from the greatest tire out there, but if I’m not planning on going crazy, I don’t need to have the 21s on the car; at this point the 21s are basically my winter tires.