TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why Not Use The Model S Handsfree?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bollar, Oct 20, 2014.

1. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

#1 bollar, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    I was passed by a Black 85 today and I noticed the driver was talking on the phone. Like most of you, I see this all the time, but I usually assume the car doesn't have handsfree. We know that's not the case on the Model S, so I wonder why someone would choose to hold their phone instead. He also drifted into my lane without signaling, but that also happens often here, so maybe it's not related to using the phone. :D

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

The Bluetooth phone pairing audio quality in the Model S is really very very poor. Much easier to hear on phone vs through car.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Disagree completely. I find it great and significantly better for hands free calling than any other car I've had. YMMV.

4. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Me too.

I've got two phones, I can only pair one at a time. While I don't take calls on my second phone while driving perhaps someone else would. That or maybe they didn't know they can pair their phone...

5. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Hmm... not sure I agree with that.

The call quality on bluetooth in my Model S has been excellent on both ends. It is even usable, although the remote party can tell, with windows down... no complaints here.

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

You should probably have that checked out. I agree with the other commenters that the BT implementation in the Model S is far and above better than the past four luxury cars I've had.

7. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

When I have passengers in the car I have switched to the phone and if you want to have the windows down you almost need to have the phone to your ear... At least that's how I feel. And there could be various other reasons for it as well. But this is certainly the first car that I have owned that the Bluetooth has been integrated very well with the car that I go hands free all the time with it.

8. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

#8 PeterK, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    In MA hand held phones are not illegal, and I see people holding phones while driving recent luxury and other cars (heck, I used bluetooth on Toyota Yaris rentals two years ago) all the time. I think it's a function of technical incompetence and laziness compounded by not very user-friendly setup procedures.

+1 My biggest issue is occasionally I'm talking on the phone outside the car and if I get too close I suddenly lose the call to the car...