Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why pay for PPF & ceramic coating when you can just repaint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF makes sense if you love in an area with bad weather and roads or drive on the freeway a ton. It prevents the majority or small Knicks and scratches to the paint from road debris. Financially, it comes out even vs just repainting later on.

Ceramic serves a different purpose. It lessens your need to wash as often and lowered the amount of effort to wash as it creates an slicker coating on top of your paint. It's purely a convenience thing if you like to keep your car looking shiny for as long as possible. It won't protect from road debris damage like PPF.

PPF makes sense if you love in an area with bad weather and roads or drive on the freeway a ton. It prevents the majority or small Knicks and scratches to the paint from road debris. Financially, it comes out even vs just repainting later on.

Ceramic serves a different purpose. It lessens your need to wash as often and lowered the amount of effort to wash as it creates an slicker coating on top of your paint. It's purely a convenience thing if you like to keep your car looking shiny for as long as possible. It won't protect from road debris damage like PPF.
My question would be if you may actually need ceramic coating on top of PPF if the installation is one of the premium PPF's like Llumar Valor, XPEL Ultimate Plus, Stek Dynoshield. I paid 9K in the Bay Area for the top installer in the area to do full PPF Stek Dynoshield and Ceramic coating, paint correction. The Stek PPF already has high gloss and infused ceramic coating with hydrophobic properties. So I think I would have been OK just with paint correction and PPF. The car looks like a million bucks. I would personally never go cheap on PPF to save a few bucks. Pick the best installer you can get with a high number of clients that can vouch for their work. The quality of installer counts and a bad PPF installation(usually kit) is something I would not wish on my worst enemy.
IMG_1771 (1).jpeg

I'm very pleased with how my PPF has held up in the last six years and 130K miles. It saved my paint from a few rocks, the front of the car doesn't look sandblasted, and I have absolutely no swirl marks due to the self-healing properties. It gleams in the sun and under the streetlights.

It was very expensive, but I'll never own another premium car without it.

Reactions: Jackka
My car is getting full body PPF added right now. Dropped it off this morning. Probably add ceramic later on. Car is only 4 months old and already have a paint chip. Gotta love Los Angeles freeways.
LOL, happened to me too. I received my car early and had to wait due to scheduling issues on the PPF install. I wound up with a bad rock chip right in the center of the hood. The installer did touch up paint work on the chip and installed PPF but the chip was even more prominent and noticeable after the PPF was installed. It was almost as if the film over the chip magnified the imperfection and made it worse. long story short, I could not tolerate seeing that chip right smack in the middle of the hood every time I walked to the car. I had the PPF on the hood removed, repainted the hood and re-installed the PPF back on the hood. a little OCD I know but...

I never felt I needed PPF, but since I drive past the 605/210 freeways (where there are various quarries) on my way to work everyday…I always end-up with nicks on my car. PPF helps with that. And makes my car washes much easier (secondary benefit for me).

LOL, happened to me too. I received my car early and had to wait due to scheduling issues on the PPF install. I wound up with a bad rock chip right in the center of the hood. The installer did touch up paint work on the chip and installed PPF but the chip was even more prominent and noticeable after the PPF was installed. It was almost as if the film over the chip magnified the imperfection and made it worse. long story short, I could not tolerate seeing that chip right smack in the middle of the hood every time I walked to the car. I had the PPF on the hood removed, repainted the hood and re-installed the PPF back on the hood. a little OCD I know but...
Yes. I think I have the same kind of OCD. If something that I use is designed ugly or has a glaring exterior flaw, it bothers me greatly every time I go to use it. In most cases, I eventually end up getting rid of the ugly/flawed possession and replace it with something that I like and am satisfied with.

I always tell people that a full body ppf is not necessary as the primary area of impact is at the front. If you have the money then sure, but for those who say 7k is too much you don’t have to spend that much.
It's different with the new Model S and that's where I believe that full PPF comes more into the picture. The rear rocker panels flare out wider and you get rock chips projectiles from the front wheels to the curved area of the rear panel just in front of the wheels. so that is definitely an area of impact just as bad as the front area. Tesla installs a small amount of PPF on the rear rocker panel but that doesn't prevent all the damage..

Same situation here. I took delivery well before my PPF appt as the shop was booked out. 1400 miles of driving put a few rock chips in the hood, bumper and fender:(

Just dropped it off yesterday and the shop said they’ll do their best to try and touch them up before installing the PPF. I’m hoping for the best but will just have to wait and see.

Same situation here. I took delivery well before my PPF appt as the shop was booked out. 1400 miles of driving put a few rock chips in the hood, bumper and fender:(

Just dropped it off yesterday and the shop said they’ll do their best to try and touch them up before installing the PPF. I’m hoping for the best but will just have to wait and see.
good luck. I feel for your situation and hope it works out. you may want the installer to do the touch up first and have him take a test patch of PPF and apply it over the touch up paint area to see if it is acceptable. That will give you some idea before he covers the whole hood.

Full PPF + ceramic in my parts (much higher cost of living than nationally) cost about $10K on average when I called around. Even a full vinyl wrap is up near there.

On a $60K car? Full stop, no thanks. I’ll live with some dings and scratches, especially on a car I won’t keep past 4-6 years.

Full PPF + ceramic in my parts (much higher cost of living than nationally) cost about $10K on average when I called around. Even a full vinyl wrap is up near there.

On a $60K car? Full stop, no thanks. I’ll live with some dings and scratches, especially on a car I won’t keep past 4-6 years.
That sounds like California.

At that point, I'd consider driving an hour or two and getting it done in a different city.

That sounds like California.

At that point, I'd consider driving an hour or two and getting it done in a different city.

yea but 60K doesn't buy you much anymore if taxes and registration are included. Model S and X Plaid is north of 170K with FSD, tax and options. I would think some of those folks want their cars to look good and be protected..

I can’t believe guys spend 7000 on full PPF and still drop even more in ceramic that’s not even necessary at all. A high quality PPF will make the car easier to clean without adding ceramic. I’m on the fence to do a full ppf May just do full front. Maybe rockers. Hard to justify 6500$ when some areas won’t need it.

yea but 60K doesn't buy you much anymore if taxes and registration are included. Model S and X Plaid is north of 170K with FSD, tax and options. I would think some of those folks want their cars to look good and be protected..

Sure, if you buy the top of the line, most expensive models and trims that Tesla sells. Lol.

This is the Model Y forum, sir.
These cars cost almost a third of what you’re referring to.

Sure, if you buy the top of the line, most expensive models and trims that Tesla sells. Lol.

This is the Model Y forum, sir.
These cars cost almost a third of what you’re referring to.
even so, point is 60K is not what it used to be. The cheapest model Y LR is now $62,990 without options. Add FSD, induction wheels, paint, white seats and now you are approaching 80K before taxes, around 90K after taxes and registration. I could see that folks would consider paying 10% of the vehicle cost(8K) for the benefits of PPF with easier maintenance, less scratches and overall showroom condition look for most of it's life if maintained properly.

Everyone is different, I don't fault anyone for wanting their car to look good as long as they can afford it.

Reactions: thesmokingman