Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being someone who has an array of buffers, polish, wax, sealants and is always known as the guy who's car is always spotless and clean... I don't get the whole PPF thing. I mean, ok I get the protection part, but the cost? A partial seems ridiculous as you'd have the PPF edge running across a surface. The whole car seems insane at ~$5k or so.

Sure, the front of the Tesla MY is more susceptible to chips due to the no grill, but in a worst case scenario one could have the front repainted at a good body shop for less than the cost of PPF.

Then there's the topping with ceramic coat, wax, etc. Products that were meant to adhere/bond to PAINT, not a polymer film.

I don't get it. Tell me what I'm missing.

Have you never gotten a paint chip before? Depending on where you live these can be plentiful or non existent. No layer of wax/ceramic will prevent against front end paint chips.
The Tesla paint, while getting better, is water based due to construction in Cali and (allegedly) applied thinner than most, making the possibilities of chips higher.

Reactions: FlyF4
Being someone who has an array of buffers, polish, wax, sealants and is always known as the guy who's car is always spotless and clean... I don't get the whole PPF thing. I mean, ok I get the protection part, but the cost? A partial seems ridiculous as you'd have the PPF edge running across a surface. The whole car seems insane at ~$5k or so.

Sure, the front of the Tesla MY is more susceptible to chips due to the no grill, but in a worst case scenario one could have the front repainted at a good body shop for less than the cost of PPF.

Then there's the topping with ceramic coat, wax, etc. Products that were meant to adhere/bond to PAINT, not a polymer film.

Been wondering the same thing. I bought my Model 3 used and it came with PPF on it, but the second day of ownership, a small rock hit my hood while driving and left a ding in the hood. Now, I'm looking to trade it in for a Model Y later this year and am wondering about getting PPF or just saving the $3k or whatever and just re-painting it down the road if it the paint dings too much for me to take, which could be cheaper. so I'm with you -- I'm not totally sure if PPF is necessary and would love to hear from others.

Have you never gotten a paint chip before? Depending on where you live these can be plentiful or non existent. No layer of wax/ceramic will prevent against front end paint chips.
The Tesla paint, while getting better, is water based due to construction in Cali and (allegedly) applied thinner than most, making the possibilities of chips higher.

I live north of Philadelphia, which means I've had fragments of potholes hit my car along with the sandblasting that comes from driving in winter. I've had paint chips, window cracks, and even a side mirror housing shattered by a piece of something.

It just seems like paying for PPF is the same as paying for the Best Buy electronics protection plan. Sure, if something happens I'll be glad I have it. But if something happens, the cost to repair it probably less than the cost to protect it.

My cynical take is that I suspect a lot of PPF shops and manufacturers infiltrate social media and forums like this spreading a lot of FUD on driving your car without PPF.

BTW I've now guaranteed a stone chip in my first 100 miles after saying all of this.

Been wondering the same thing. I bought my Model 3 used and it came with PPF on it, but the second day of ownership, a small rock hit my hood while driving and left a ding in the hood. Now, I'm looking to trade it in for a Model Y later this year and am wondering about getting PPF or just saving the $3k or whatever and just re-painting it down the road if it the paint dings too much for me to take, which could be cheaper. so I'm with you -- I'm not totally sure if PPF is necessary and would love to hear from others.
I'd rather take that $3k and improve the suspension on the Model Y!

I don't want to constantly be buffing and polishing the car. I don't want to eat away at the clear coat and I don't want to spend the time every other month or every couple months with that. I had paint correction done at my detailer the day I got the car delivered, PPF locks that in for me.

Partial is basically invisible. If your detailer is running directly across the hood, find a new guy. Any good shop will wrap around the edges so you don't even see it. On my Model 3 I couldn't tell the front end was covered in PPF at all.

It only takes a couple rocks chips to personally bug me... hell, one good one that you can notice when walking up to the car would bug me. Might never get a rock chip with the car... or maybe it happens in the first few months. Maybe it happens on average once a year. Do you deal with the hassle of repainting the bumper every year? Even if the cost still balanced out, I wouldn't want to be without the car that much, or hell, deal with driving to a shop once a year.

Most PPF makers claim that it's fine to put ceramic on top of the PPF, some are even starting to make their own ceramic coatings. Maybe it doesn't bond as well to the PPF and only lasts for a year or two. Usually if you're getting full PPF the ceramic add on is minimal in price... often even included. It adds some gloss and shine and makes it even easier to wash. I look at it as 100% a cosmetic booster when applied to PPF.

I hate swirls so I opted to have the whole car paint corrected and then covered entirely in PPF. Where I live you'll often get a very fine coating of sand blown onto the car in the summer. It almost looks like a light layer of dust on the car, but it actually is grains of sand and 100% will swirl and scratch the paint. Even a good two bucket method seems to result in some very slight swirls when I do it. Maybe I need more microfiber towels and be swapping them out as well as using two bucket. Either way, it's easier and faster to wash the car when covered in PPF (for me) and allows it to be an enjoyable hour rather than half a day event with a lot of setup/clean up and a BUNCH of products and towels. I'm a couple buckets, foam cannon, and a handful of microfiber and done. Maybe if I'm feeling crazy I'll top it up with a retail ceramic spray that literally takes 20 minutes for the whole car and adds some gloss but only lasts a month or two but that's it.

For me PPF is ease of ownership while keeping the car looking dang near perfect. Maybe white would be more forgiving, but even on the blue swirls would show up at night under lights and in direct sun. I parked next to a nice expensive Range Rover at work yesterday and thought it looked great in black until I got close and it was COVERED in swirls. Like seriously looked like a kid had screwed up the whole car... but it was the telltale swirl marks from washing/drying, not a kid playing with a hot wheel running it over the paint or something...

IMO, doing the entire body is overkill, but the nose, hood and mirrors are worth it to protect from clear coat etching from bug guts, chips from rocks, etc. You can polish it out, even repaint, but that all takes time and effort where PPF is one and done.

eb1be242-f534-4049-9715-b8ce8bfbe99d-jpeg.27396

n7zxoxeeztz21.jpg

D6ExjrzW4AEPJwB.jpg

EDIT: Local XPEL shop near me has prices of $2800 for hood, front bumper and mirrors. $7250 for entire car. 10-15% the cost of the entire car. I damn near laughed over the phone.

I don't want to constantly be buffing and polishing the car. I don't want to eat away at the clear coat and I don't want to spend the time every other month or every couple months with that. I had paint correction done at my detailer the day I got the car delivered, PPF locks that in for me.

Partial is basically invisible. If your detailer is running directly across the hood, find a new guy. Any good shop will wrap around the edges so you don't even see it. On my Model 3 I couldn't tell the front end was covered in PPF at all.

It only takes a couple rocks chips to personally bug me... hell, one good one that you can notice when walking up to the car would bug me. Might never get a rock chip with the car... or maybe it happens in the first few months. Maybe it happens on average once a year. Do you deal with the hassle of repainting the bumper every year? Even if the cost still balanced out, I wouldn't want to be without the car that much, or hell, deal with driving to a shop once a year.

Most PPF makers claim that it's fine to put ceramic on top of the PPF, some are even starting to make their own ceramic coatings. Maybe it doesn't bond as well to the PPF and only lasts for a year or two. Usually if you're getting full PPF the ceramic add on is minimal in price... often even included. It adds some gloss and shine and makes it even easier to wash. I look at it as 100% a cosmetic booster when applied to PPF.

I hate swirls so I opted to have the whole car paint corrected and then covered entirely in PPF. Where I live you'll often get a very fine coating of sand blown onto the car in the summer. It almost looks like a light layer of dust on the car, but it actually is grains of sand and 100% will swirl and scratch the paint. Even a good two bucket method seems to result in some very slight swirls when I do it. Maybe I need more microfiber towels and be swapping them out as well as using two bucket. Either way, it's easier and faster to wash the car when covered in PPF (for me) and allows it to be an enjoyable hour rather than half a day event with a lot of setup/clean up and a BUNCH of products and towels. I'm a couple buckets, foam cannon, and a handful of microfiber and done. Maybe if I'm feeling crazy I'll top it up with a retail ceramic spray that literally takes 20 minutes for the whole car and adds some gloss but only lasts a month or two but that's it.

For me PPF is ease of ownership while keeping the car looking dang near perfect. Maybe white would be more forgiving, but even on the blue swirls would show up at night under lights and in direct sun. I parked next to a nice expensive Range Rover at work yesterday and thought it looked great in black until I got close and it was COVERED in swirls. Like seriously looked like a kid had screwed up the whole car... but it was the telltale swirl marks from washing/drying, not a kid playing with a hot wheel running it over the paint or something...
Nicely stated. PPF definitely not for everyone but is a great option for those who really take care of their cars.

I sort of regret not choosing black or MSM for the exterior color and getting a full body Xpel Stealth install. Love the frozen/matte look on those colors.

Reactions: Halldawg

People have 5-10k extra to drop....and since we cant mod our engines PPF is like stickers...+100hp LOL

I went for the partial, high impact areas. Mostly because of the paint issues AND another car that we did years ago, had to remove its PPF as my wife tagged something with the nose of the car. Long story short, in less than a year, the front is really beat up with rock chips. Your area may be better. You may not tailgate trucks as my wife does.

The final straw for me is when I saw a MY LR that was red. Obviously it couldn't be too old. Unfortunately the front of the car had so many rock chips and the white undercoat showed through like a teenage girl's face with an acne breakout. Having lived through high school and dated a fair amount, I never want the front of our car to look like that. Yes, I could get the front end painted. Then there is the whole issue of if someone asks you, or a dealer does, "was your car in an accident or did you have any paintwork done?"

So at the end of the day I dropped 2k to get the entire front done and added tint while in the shop. I can rest easier now when the wife takes the MY somewhere. I found someone to do the ceramic coating at a reasonable price. Considering all the crazy bugs we have hear, and tree droppings, it will save me a lot of time and didn't cost a fortune. Had it done on another car, and it probably saved me thousands of dollars from tree droppings and a crazy yard maintenance person who weed whacked all the grass and somehow shot it onto my car. I was gone for over a week on a business trip and if the last car hadn't been coated, I might have had to get it repainted as the Florida sun backed all that mess nicely onto the car. Bug and tar remover didn't even budge it.

I had never had a car ceramic coated before that last one but I am a believer now.

PPF doesn’t have to be complete, or even the entire frontal area. I only did just the front bumper and it costs $500.00. Reason I did that was because the car has no grill like ICE cars do, so it has a very large painted surface that collects chips easily. The hood and front quarter panels don’t get nicks and chips nearly as much.

IMO, getting PPF is a personal preference. I feel that the decision on whether to get PPF (or anything done to your car) should be based on some simple ideas like....

- what type of roads do you drive on?
- how many miles do you drive a year?
- what are the weather conditions like in your area?
- how much do you like your car?
- do rock chips or wear & tear from driving bother you?
- how much are you willing to spend on your car?
- does resale value matter to you?

Think about your answers, and that'll give you a good idea if you think PPF is right for you.

Reactions: nomis_nehc