Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s not the point, I like having a nicely painted no paint chip ride when I go out and when I sell it it will still look as new as day as one. If you don’t care about how your ride looks, at the end of the day then that’s your choice. But an extra 2300.00 for PPF is nothing for piece of mind.

Fred
Completely agree. There is nothing better than hand cleaning your vehicle and having it look perfect! I always hated cleaning my last vehicle and finding some new rock chip or blemish. Having the pain encased and looking perfect is the way to go for OCD cleaners. We chose matte PPF just to look a little different running down the road.

Reactions: ucsdsig and lchen6
I got a paint chip within the first 6 miles. It SUCKS. I'm taking it into service tomorrow going to try to warranty this. The paint is so soft it's disturbing. A stone you can't hear in a near-silent car causing a deep chip is unacceptable.

...so that's why you get PPF.

That being said, the cost of getting PPF (XPEL) is a joke. It barely seems worth the expense on a $50k car. If the average cost for a partial front is $1,400 and that may or may not cover your entire hood, plus leave you without a car for a few days, it hardly seems worth the inconvenience when this is a factory issue.

For those of us with pearl white paint we're extra screwed because it will never look right touching it up since it's a 3 layer paint process. I want a full respray and some kind of PPF provided by Tesla. After owning over 30 cars in the last 25 years this is the most dangerous paint I've ever come across. Anything can scratch it straight down to the black base. It's vile.

I got a paint chip within the first 6 miles. It SUCKS. I'm taking it into service tomorrow going to try to warranty this. The paint is so soft it's disturbing. A stone you can't hear in a near-silent car causing a deep chip is unacceptable.

...so that's why you get PPF.

That being said, the cost of getting PPF (XPEL) is a joke. It barely seems worth the expense on a $50k car. If the average cost for a partial front is $1,400 and that may or may not cover your entire hood, plus leave you without a car for a few days, it hardly seems worth the inconvenience when this is a factory issue.

For those of us with pearl white paint we're extra screwed because it will never look right touching it up since it's a 3 layer paint process. I want a full respray and some kind of PPF provided by Tesla. After owning over 30 cars in the last 25 years this is the most dangerous paint I've ever come across. Anything can scratch it straight down to the black base. It's vile.

I keep hearing how "Tesla paint is soft" but nobody ever has any evidence to demonstrate why. I think this is one of those things that just gets said enough that people assume it to be true. I also think some of the PPF vendors continue such dialog, for obvious reasons. That aside, I drove my wife's BMW X5 off the lot a few years ago and before I got home a rock kicked up, cracked the windshield and chipped the paint. It absolutely sucked. I was pissed. Not even 2 miles in and I had a cracked windshield AND needed paint repair.

My point is, s*** happens. I think the stone chips on the front of a Tesla are more a product of the grill-less design than a paint defect. I feel your pain with the paint chip, but I'd be stunned if Tesla did anything beyond offer a free touch up paint bottle. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Reactions: El joe and suprax
Just an FYI, you can. Buy a full painted bumper skin direct from Tesla for 1200. It was for a model 3 but I can't imagine a Y being that much more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-182317_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-182317_Messages.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 96
I'm doing PPF because I want the matte look but don't want to do a matte vinyl wrap that will only last a few years with little to no paint protection. I am also doing a window tint because I live where it blazes 100 degrees easy in the summer and I want the cabin to stay cool. I also got the windshield and moonroof protection because our Sahara Jeep has gotten rock chips that have nailed the windshield and caused a crack. Once it was replaced, the cabin noise was never the same so I'd rather spend it on prevention than deal with something like that with the car.

I spent 80k+ on the car--I'm not expecting an ROI, I'm protecting my investment. The DynoMatt PPF is 10 year warranty.

Some people put cases on their $1k phones, some people don't, you do you.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, you can. Buy a full painted bumper skin direct from Tesla for 1200. It was for a model 3 but I can't imagine a Y being that much more
What if you have to buy 3 bumpers in like five years? That’s $3,600 plus THREE service visits.

Rock chips bug me a lot. I hate seeing them on my car. I hate seeing swirl marks or scratches or anything else. $3,600 should certainly get full front end and full window tint, or full front and full ceramic.

Reactions: ucsdsig
I keep hearing how "Tesla paint is soft" but nobody ever has any evidence to demonstrate why. I think this is one of those things that just gets said enough that people assume it to be true. I also think some of the PPF vendors continue such dialog, for obvious reasons. That aside, I drove my wife's BMW X5 off the lot a few years ago and before I got home a rock kicked up, cracked the windshield and chipped the paint. It absolutely sucked. I was pissed. Not even 2 miles in and I had a cracked windshield AND needed paint repair.

My point is, s*** happens. I think the stone chips on the front of a Tesla are more a product of the grill-less design than a paint defect. I feel your pain with the paint chip, but I'd be stunned if Tesla did anything beyond offer a free touch up paint bottle. Hopefully I'm wrong!
You might as well get over it. EVERY manufacturer is going to water based paints. EVERY car will start getting more rock chips because of the change in paint chemistry. Welcome to the new world of we care about the environment. I did PPF because we keep a vehicle for 10 years. I would rather have it look nice in 10 years and not like a sand blasted paint job. What @ruthiebby said; you do you.

I had Xpel on my E63 back in the day. Full front protection. Sold it after 7 years and there was no yellowing or noticeable wear and tear.

Didn’t do PPF on my Model S and regretted it. Front end had lots of chips after 3.5 years. As others have noted, Tesla paint isn’t the greatest.

Choosing the right shop is key. For the install and for potential warranty issues. I did my due diligence and have no doubts I’ll be taken care of if any issues arise. And I paid $2.5k for PPF and ceramic. Although I did consider full PPF but $6.5k was more than I was willing to spend.
Thats the price I'm getting as well. $950 for PPF front end essential areas. $1450 complete polish and 5 year ceramic coating for rest of vehicle. 10 year warranty on PPF film.

For the experienced folks, is that a decent price?

Thats the price I'm getting as well. $950 for PPF front end essential areas. $1450 complete polish and 5 year ceramic coating for rest of vehicle. 10 year warranty on PPF film.

For the experienced folks, is that a decent price?
$950 is a good price for front. Most do front end, front fenders, mirror caps and a strip along the bottom of the doors. Personally I did Avalon king as I found the $1500 for ceramic to expensive. I was already spending $5300 to do the Stealth PPF to the entire vehicle. Had to cut back somewhere

$950 is a good price for front. Most do front end, front fenders, mirror caps and a strip along the bottom of the doors. Personally I did Avalon king as I found the $1500 for ceramic to expensive. I was already spending $5300 to do the Stealth PPF to the entire vehicle. Had to cut back somewhere
I have no experience with this stuff.. Have to look it up what you're talking about.. Avalon King... 🤨

Frontal PPF is a no-brainer if you value minimizing the possibility of paint chips and dings. I have 70K on my car and not a single paint chip.
Most interstate driven cars, with similar mileage, look like they've been sand blasted.

I guarantee you won't get a quality repare/repaint for $500. Most places wont even start mixing color for $500.