Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why production Model X may be months away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article: http://mibiz.com/item/23011-tesla-adds-much-needed-tooling-capacity-with-riviera-tool-acquisition
Currently, Riviera is in the process of completing its outstanding orders before moving to dedicated production for Tesla.

I disagree. While Riviera may be completing outstanding orders, they, like techmaven says, are not ignoring Tesla. Riviera is continuing on and I believe this means a stronger production ramp for the X and certainly for the Model 3

I don't see any relationship - presumably when Tesla bought Riviera in March they would have insisted that any outstanding work carried on - also since these people make tools and stamps it would not be a supplier issue - it appears that Tesla are actually able to stamp out body parts, which seems to indicate they have the tools they need - my understanding is that any holdups are due to seats and windshields, neither of which are related to this business at all.

From what I've been reading (sometimes between the lines) Tesla never planned on producing more than ~100 cars by end of this year. It was investors that speculated upwards of 2k deliveries by end of 2015. I don't think there's any delay as far as tool making is concerned and I've certainly heard of window and seat rumor. I treat the article as another data-point to support that mass production of X is planned to (as has always been) start beginning of next year.

From what I've been reading (sometimes between the lines) Tesla never planned on producing more than ~100 cars by end of this year. It was investors that speculated upwards of 2k deliveries by end of 2015. I don't think there's any delay as far as tool making is concerned and I've certainly heard of window and seat rumor. I treat the article as another data-point to support that mass production of X is planned to (as has always been) start beginning of next year.

I think at some point early on they did. They (Tesla) didn't revise their total yearly car production estimate lower until the Q2 report.

How strange to claim 'nice facility with a modern layout' only to finish by saying 'hodgepodge of equipment and buildings'. :confused:

I believe they are talking about how most other tool and die shops started, not the one Tesla bought.

From article:
"Riviera fit perfectly for their needs,” said Matt Zwack, a partner at Birmingham-based Angle Advisors LLC, who advised Riviera on the deal. “Riviera had extra capabilities and the engineering talent that (Tesla) wanted to have and they had a nice facility that was more of a modern layout than what you see in tool and die shops. A lot of these tool and die guys started with a small shop then expanded onto it – so it’s a hodgepodge of equipment and buildings.”

I believe they are talking about how most other tool and die shops started, not the one Tesla bought.

From article:
"Riviera fit perfectly for their needs,” said Matt Zwack, a partner at Birmingham-based Angle Advisors LLC, who advised Riviera on the deal. “Riviera had extra capabilities and the engineering talent that (Tesla) wanted to have and they had a nice facility that was more of a modern layout than what you see in tool and die shops. A lot of these tool and die guys started with a small shop then expanded onto it – so it’s a hodgepodge of equipment and buildings.”

Okay, after rereading that quote again I can see that perhaps 'these tool and die guys' might be referring to non-Riviera tool and die guys.

That being said, I believe that Elon and Tesla realize they cannot screw around where it comes to Model 3. We'll see in a few years...

Yup. Remember folks, we should have a prototype unveiling and preorders opening up for the Model 3 in only four more months, and 18ish months until they start rolling off the assembly line!

Sorry, couldn't help myself :cool:

Since Bonnie's thread just closed, I will post an appropriate comment here:

With today being the 46th month since the first buyer deposits were made for Model X, my suggestion is that we remind those who order Model III next year.

Model III buyers should be ready for extended delays and have adequate transportation during the wait.

With today being the 46th month since the first buyer deposits were made for Model X, my suggestion is that we remind those who order Model III next year.

Model III buyers should be ready for extended delays and have adequate transportation during the wait.

Unsure why it got locked, but totally agree. If you have a lease you plan on rolling into the Model 3, make sure it extends for at least a year past the time you think you'll get your Model 3. You can always pay it off or do a lease transfer, but having to scramble for a car while waiting for your new unicorn can be stressful.

I can't believe that anyone would be foolish enough to put a deposit down on a Model III. Your choices are a long wait for a way overpriced model about three years after the promised delivery date, or to get your car whenever, certainly after people who order after the actual launch but willing to pay for a top of the line model. I cannot imagine why anyone would give Tesla a 3-5 year interest free loan just to get screwed on delivery.
If I had put my $5k in stock instead of a deposit, I would have made enough money to pay for the premium to just walk into a showroom in January, buy a P90D and I'd still have it before the 70D that the I have the money for right now.

I can't believe that anyone would be foolish enough to put a deposit down on a Model III. Your choices are a long wait for a way overpriced model about three years after the promised delivery date, or to get your car whenever, certainly after people who order after the actual launch but willing to pay for a top of the line model. I cannot imagine why anyone would give Tesla a 3-5 year interest free loan just to get screwed on delivery.
If I had put my $5k in stock instead of a deposit, I would have made enough money to pay for the premium to just walk into a showroom in January, buy a P90D and I'd still have it before the 70D that the I have the money for right now.
That presumes people have been following the woes of previous people who put in deposits or that they even care about how people in a higher configuration can "cut in line" (which is how Tesla had done things the whole time).

And I imagine not everyone is comfortable investing in stocks nor can anyone reliably pick a stock that will have 6x the value in 3 years (even bulls will not comfortably say that for TSLA today; that's a share price of $1300+). The best 3 year CD will get you about 1.6% APY, which earns you $243 on that $5000 deposit, which will do nothing in terms of bumping you up in line. The deposit for the Model 3 might even be lower. Putting a deposit in early is the best way to ensure you get the car you want as soon as possible.

Last edited:
That presumes people have been following the woes of previous people who put in deposits or that they even care about how people in a higher configuration can "cut in line" (which is how Tesla had done things the whole time).

The Model X ramp is looking very similar to the Model S. We even had a price change. The 60s (and 40s) where not produced until later. If that is what you wanted, you had to 'defer' you reservation. Hell, you couldn't even get red paint or coil suspension. until after Q1 of 2013.

One thing that is different with the Model X ramp is that there are a lot more reservation holders at launch than there was with the S, the production capacity of the line is dramatically larger, and the number of markets involved with the associated shipping/delivery logistics is larger.

Something that I expect to be better with the X, is the initial quality/reliability of the vehicle. Over the years the warantee service costs for S is definitely a line item that I expect Telsa would want to reduce for the X. (at least on a per vehicle basis) There are no competitors for the Model X. If you want a Model X, relax, they will get it to you as soon as they can, while keeping their business intact. If that is not acceptable, go with something that isn't the Model X. In terms of volume, Tesla is still a niche manufacturer. It will take them time to grow their business, and they have been growing like gangbusters for the last 5 years.

The waiting process will be far easier since my expectations have been set so low.

I can't believe that anyone would be foolish enough to put a deposit down on a Model III...

dirkhh: Believe buddy, believe! Consider me the First Fool :tongue:

I will be putting down a deposit on the Model 3 the first minute that I have the opportunity to. Doesn't matter what the $$$ amount is. Doesn't matter what the "insufferable wait" is. Doesn't matter how many posts I have to read in the "Good God why isn't the Model 3 here after XXX months of DELAYS" thread. It just doesn't matter, period.

I am going to be getting a top of the line Tesla Model 3 vehicle for ~$50,000. For those of us in the "I can't really afford a $100,000 car, but I can almost afford a ~$50,000 car" (and there are A LOT of us in that club), all this gnashing of teeth and endless falling sky chatter in the Model X forums is simply hilarious. Personally, I find it immensely entertaining. A nice way to pass the time until I get my reservation in and can then relax and enjoy the 7,652 posts in the first "Model 3 Production" thread.

Ever thankful for our first world problems...

RT

Last edited by a moderator: