TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why production Model X may be months away

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Vitold, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

#21 bobbykansara, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    THIS!!! 1000000% THIS!!! This PERFECTLY encapsulates EXACTLY how I feel! Well done, RubberToe. And I plan to be Reservation holder #002 for the model 3 right behind you.

+1 to MrBoylan for making me literally LOL at work! I will get the model 3 for my (currently) 10 year old. :D

2. Reeler

Reeler 9th Year of Pure EV

I agree. I will likely buy Volt or Leaf with the 200 mile range they are expected to have next year. When Tesla gets theirs out a year or two later, I might upgrade.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

???

4. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Great idea! The best idea may be to submit a production deposit on day one for a Model III, but then relax and drive a great alternative until Tesla Motors delivers your vehicle.

For many future buyers, that might be to purchase a used Model S. A Chevrolet Volt is another excellent choice as one driver has exceeded 100,000 miles on the battery alone. Erick Belmer and Sparkie the Volt Did Their 100,00th EV mile yesterday - GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site

Enjoy an EV today, while waiting for Model III tomorrow.

5. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I think I'm going to go with the 200 mile unicorn instead, I feel like the chances of it existing "next year" are vastly superior to a 200 mile Volt or LEAF in 2016.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

In what way is the frustration of folks waiting on a car that's already 2+ years late hilarious and entertaining? Your post seems to suggest that it's because they can afford a 100k car?

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Personality type, AO. While I haven't been gnashing teeth or wailing that the sky is falling, it has been a long wait. At least some people are able to find that enjoyable. Always a silver lining!

8. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Let me go out on a limb here. I don't think you are finding it "hilarious and entertaining" that you and others have been waiting for 46 months (and counting)...

9. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

Agreed with dirkhh. I don't find it hilarious and entertaining that people have been subjected to delays without information. I, personally am in that group as a reservation holder since approx. 6(?)/2012 and I have felt the pain of the delays too. Thus, I am not amused by the frustration.

But I do think that some people need to just have a little more patience. We've already waited this long, what's a few more months? I'm on my 4th "bridge-lease" car waiting for the X, and that's frustrating. But I try to keep perspective on how little a problem this delayed launch is compared to other bigger problems that we all deal with in our lives.

And I just wanted to correct something when another poster suggested that 'you get nothing for Tesla having held your money for these years.' If you plunked down the $40K for a sig res, then you are getting ~$7000 discount for the sig compared to a comparably equiped production model. I DO wish that those of us with a production res for all these months/years would at least get a free hat, but c'est la vie!

Hang in there folks, it should only be a few more months of waiting. Don't lose hope now!

10. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

So I am also on a "bridge-lease". And when I did it I timed it for March/16 - when I posted about this two years ago people were calling me names for being such a party-pooper and negative person because we all new that I'd be getting my X long long before then :)
    Now, since I don't want a second $100k+ car and am aiming for a 70D, I'll need to figure out my second bridge-lease :)

11. EVger

EVger Member

I have only been waiting for 28 months since I put down my deposit in August 2013. I was told that would be able to see the MX in 2014. I will have to wait until 2016 to see it. Although I was finally invited to configure at the end of 2015, I will have to wait until "mid-2016" for my five-seater. I assume that most of those who find concerns about the long wait hilarious or entertaining are decades younger than I am.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

No - was talking about rubbertoe, who I quoted.

Keep up, Dirk!

13. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Outsider,
    Ok, you got me there. Hilarious was too strong a choice in wording. I typically am not LOL'ing when reading about X delays, though the occasional read comment sometimes does result in some coffee being wiped off my monitor.

Concerning the $100k car part: This gets to the "first world problem" part of my response. I'm assuming that anyone who ponied up $40,000 for a signature reservation probably isn't either: 1) being forced to ride the bus to work for an additional month for every month delay in receiving their Sig. X, or 2) checking their sofa for loose change to get their 1990 Accord fixed one last time before the new X gets delivered. Anyone falling into either of those categories is an even harder core Tesla Fanboy than myself, has my sympathy, and I would offer them a good deal on a used 2013 Prius I'm going to be selling shortly.

The guy/gal up thread who is decades older than me, and waiting for an X, hopefully gets his/hers "soon". And not Tesla Soon.

OT when I was 14 years old I wanted a mini-bike so bad I could taste it! My Mom told me that half the fun of getting something was just wanting it. Ever since then I have enjoyed 50% of quite a few things, including a Tesla Model 3. My Mom wasn't much of a batter, golf was her game, but that one was a stand up triple...

RT

14. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I can totally agree with her there, I learned that first hand as a kid with toys. I'd finally get one and be like.... Okay...? Definitely taught me to temper my enthusiasm and seek happiness in non material things more often.

And yes, it's definitely a first world problem, one that pales when you put it up against other bigger issues. It's still frustrating though.

I've seen many people write off the feelings of others because they were "rich". "What's the big deal? You can have anything you want! You don't know the REAL struggle!".

I try to keep in mind that everything's relative, and someone with 6 0's in their bank account is just as human as someone with 2, 3 or even 9.

16. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

I agree, for some people downsizing from 5 bedroom house to 2 bedroom apartment with no elevator would be as stressful as struggling to pay the rent is to others.

17. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Active Member

When I was a resident working over 100 hrs/ week for what amounted to less than minimum wage, I didn't worry about money. Now that I make more than I thought I would back then, I am constantly worrying about money, house payments, education for my kids, bills bills bills, retirement, etc. The more you make, the more you spend. I never thought I would end up with $200,000 sitting in my garage. Those two Teslas better last a while....

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Preach brother.