Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Recaro?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Anyone know why Tesla switched seat suppliers when they went with next gen seats? Was it simply that the new manufacturer could do something the one (Futuris?) could not? I'm just curious how all that went down.

While at the Detroit Auto Show talking to a Tesla employee (who worked in procurement) he said though seats were not his turf, his understanding was that the existing mfg of seats they use/own was at capacity already, and it was easier/faster to upgrade by going with Recaro for the seats. I'd also imagine it was experience and cost that swayed them if I had to speculate.

While most folks recognize Recaro as aftermarket/race car seat manufacturers, they also produce seats for many automotive manufacturers. Hearing Tesla will use Recaro is not a surprise as it's what Recaro does. Recaro should be able to handle Tesla's needs.

What was the deficiency? I know that when I test drove a P85D a month ago at the factory, I could not use the electric controls on the side of the side with the door closed. There was no space for my hand. Not a problem that would hold be back from buying the new seats, but an interesting issue that I wonder if people really notice - especially once you setup the drivers and save their settings on the pull down list of the big screen.