Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why red rear signal lights on US version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue with the red for both brake and turn is that if one taillight isn't working and the driver is "tapping" the brakes... it looks like a turn signal is on.

I agree that the color of the lens doesn't have to be amber, but if the light emitted could be that would disambiguate. It would be nice to know anything red, brakes are on.

Reactions: Dana1
I'd like to see a bright amber little arrow or line that moves across the tail light to indicate which way you are turning AND a bright blinking red stop signal. I've seen this on other vehicles. With LED and digital technology there is no reason we can't have more meaningful signals at barely any increased cost. The amber strip could be integrated into the rear cover. Of course, none of this will help all the idiots that are texting these days. You have to look out the window to see any kind of signal.

Red is the norm is the US. There isn't a rule that Teslas have to be as weird as possible.
Not really since we have both which is probably even worse. While most are red now there is still a LARGE percentage that are amber. Oddly it looks like amber was used even more in the past than today in the US. In part because so many are using brake lights as double duty and flashing them for a signal light. Even larger trucks are no exception and can have either. So amber is not weird in any way and there is regulations that require exported Tesla's to have amber. Also EVERY single car facing you has amber turn signals and no one says that is weird.

Reactions: jas and WilliamG

Yes, and though I can't tell easily, that looks like Tesla re-purposed a small part of the brake light LEDs as the amber turn signal. That means it will not be a simple swap of tail lights to achieve this. This will probably require a new wiring harness AND re-coding to implement, which, in my experience doing this on my VW, simply isn't possible on the Tesla since there's nothing like OBD11 or VAGCOM coding tools.

OR, even if it's an extra set of LEDs on the side of the brake light LEDS, it would still require coding. If you just plugged them in to a US vehicle, what would likely happen is the amber portion wouldn't work, and the brake lights would flash as normal on turn signal activation.

But that remains to be seen. I'm sure someone will get the parts and try and make it work here. I'd be down for a set if it were simple plug and play.

Reactions: jas and VQTRVA
The two colors help differentiate the difference between braking and signalling. At least the new Audi's dynamic lighting with red turn signals are distinct enough and really cool looking.

They're cool looking, but ultimately I'd still much, much, (much) rather have that turn signal be amber.

It's funny, actually. I moved to the USA 17 years ago from England, and absolutely refused to buy a car without amber turn signals. I had a 2003 WRX with amber turn signals (factory delivered this way), a 2008 and a 2010 STI with amber turn signals (also factory delivered this way), a 2016 Golf R where I replaced the damn tail lights with the European ones and spent hours re-wiring and re-coding to have amber turn signals.

And yet, here I am, with a Model 3, with red turn signals.

I... shouldn't think about it... *shudder*