Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Roadster not have supercar look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just wondering why the Tesla Roadster, while still impressive looking, can't have the same body style as a Lamborghini / Ferrari / Bugatti? You know, like a typical exotic car look with a wide body, long, and super low look. I think it's missing that super wide body that most exotics have. It would have been nice if it could have that super car body similar to a Huracan or 458 Italia since you're dropping $200k. If anything, it could have tried looking like the BMW i8 because that car is part electric and it still has a super car look while being under $200k.

But then, it's going to be the fastest car ever, even faster than any Bugatti. And it's going to be sold at $200k, like the same price as a entry level Ferrari / Lamborghini, yet it's going to be faster than a $2.5 million Bugatti. So are exotic car bodies just for looks or do they serve a purpose since maybe they have to carry a gigantic engine. While the Tesla Roadster, most of its functioning components are low to the ground and very minimal compared to an gas exotic engine. So I'm not sure if it's current design serves its purpose to be the fastest car?

I'm sure whatever Tesla decided was for this car to be as fast as possible, and looking like a baller was not priority. I just hope people won't mistake this Tesla roadster for a Mazda Miata.

But assuming everything goes to plan and this Tesla Roadster truly gets title of world's fastest car, what are exotic car owners going to brag about?

Well, there are broadly two types of supercars/owners.

The first and likely most common are those who mostly like them for the garage collection, the attention they get and the occasional straight line blast on the open road. So far the 2020 roadster panders to this category (as a reservation holder - guilty)

The second type are those who actually drive them to their capabilities on the track. That's where the look you are asking about comes from. In to minimize weight and improve handling - having a low mounted engine with most of the weight just ahead of the rear wheels and a low, wide stance.

I'll enjoy the roadster most likely as a replacement daily for my MS, but don't expect it to replace my lightweight, track-biased ICE performance cars.

2020-Tesla-Roadster-white-on-Grand-Basel-show-floor.jpg

white-lamborghini-aventador-hd.jpg

Some of the external differences are down to the EV drivetrain. Look at all the massive aggressive looking cooling ducts in the Lambo, which are simply not required in an EV. Then there's the huge 200 kWh battery sat in the floorpan of the Tesla, which effectively sets the minimum cabin height. The Roadster is also a 2+2 with reasonable rear seats, while most exotics are strictly 2 seater, although the i8 you mentioned does have small rear seats too, but almost certainly less practical than those in the Roadster.

I expect the Roadster is actually wider than it looks and probably not much different to most other exotics in that respect. Maybe someone has specs for the track width to compare?

Finally we know that the Tesla chief designer (Franz von Holzhausen) strongly favours minimalist functional design and so there is a lot of his influence there too and personally I love it!

Super ICE cars usually have either very wide 12 cyl engines or multiple turbos/superchargers which make for a pretty wide engine compartment. Combined with large wheels/tires/brakes and exotic suspensions and lots of cooling raidators and vents, they end up with very wide and low configurations.

Tesla is very different, and properly will look different.

Driving wide bodies work OK on the track, but are a pain in the butt for Urban transportation.

Reactions: Roys3
Super ICE cars usually have either very wide 12 cyl engines or multiple turbos/superchargers which make for a pretty wide engine compartment. Combined with large wheels/tires/brakes and exotic suspensions and lots of cooling raidators and vents, they end up with very wide and low configurations.

Tesla is very different, and properly will look different.

Driving wide bodies work OK on the track, but are a pain in the butt for Urban transportation.

I reckon the Roadster will be around 2m wide too like many other modern hypercars. I don't think the width is really dictated by the engine layout, it's more an overall design trend toward wider track as the cars have simply got bigger and heavier over time. The original McLaren F1 supercar was only 1.8 m wide with a 6L V12 and a kerb weight of just over 1000 kg. Tiny by today's hypercar standards! The Roadster is just a little taller than typical ICE hypercars because of the battery stack in the floorpan, but the CofG will be ultra-low. It's only handicap will be the weight of that 200 kWh battery, which has been discussed to death elsewhere on this forum!

I think Tesla is tagging the Roadster's looks to the current Model 3 for a Model 3 image boost. At some angles, the 2020 Roadster looks like a scaled down Model 3, but with a better looking front end. I don't like the front end on the Model 3 and I don't like the lack of an instrument cluster in front of the driver. In fact, I may take my $50,000 deposit back if the Roadster has a Model 3 look inside with no instrument cluster for the driver.

I think Tesla is tagging the Roadster's looks to the current Model 3 for a Model 3 image boost. At some angles, the 2020 Roadster looks like a scaled down Model 3, but with a better looking front end. I don't like the front end on the Model 3 and I don't like the lack of an instrument cluster in front of the driver. In fact, I may take my $50,000 deposit back if the Roadster has a Model 3 look inside with no instrument cluster for the driver.

In that case I think you are going to be disappointed as there was no sign of an "instrument cluster" on the show car. Obviously could change before production, but it looks like Tesla are moving away from traditional instrumentation so I wouldn't bet on it.

My understanding was that taking away the dashboard and moving everything to the center console unit was a cost savings for the model 3. Looking away from front and center on a fast moving vehicle is outright dangerous. The only reason the prius gets away with its tiny center dash is because its not capable of spirited driving. Being a long time model S owner I have lived through several revisions of the dashboard, and the configurability remains one of its strong points. The only way the roadster will remain a serious performance vehicle without a dashboard is if there is a serious HUD, but even that has limitations depending on the light reflections and so forth.

Reactions: Cowby and SDRick
My understanding was that taking away the dashboard and moving everything to the center console unit was a cost savings for the model 3. Looking away from front and center on a fast moving vehicle is outright dangerous. The only reason the prius gets away with its tiny center dash is because its not capable of spirited driving. Being a long time model S owner I have lived through several revisions of the dashboard, and the configurability remains one of its strong points. The only way the roadster will remain a serious performance vehicle without a dashboard is if there is a serious HUD, but even that has limitations depending on the light reflections and so forth.

What exactly are you going to be looking at on the dash during "spirited" driving? It's not like you have a rev counter to watch or anything. Speed will be illegal anyway if you are pushing on at all, so largely irrelevant!

Personally I think Tesla's decision to remove the dash display in the M3 was more an experiment in functional minimalism and lateral thinking than simple cost saving, the latter being a small bonus. I believe the rumoured S/X interior update also has a much smaller dash display than the current version. Don't get me wrong, I like the current S/X dash display, but it is bigger than it really needs to be and losing it altogether wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Roys3 and Joerg
I think Tesla is tagging the Roadster's looks to the current Model 3 for a Model 3 image boost. At some angles, the 2020 Roadster looks like a scaled down Model 3, but with a better looking front end.

Incidentally, there's not many photos online that show off the rear of the Roadster to good effect, but I spotted one video recently that provided a good look at it, and it looks fantastic to me. Let me see if I can find…

Hmm, I don't think this is the same video that I saw before, but it might illustrate what I mean → Watch and listen to the 2020 Tesla Roadster move, more photos

Tesla tries to do "more with less". Less tacky add-on wings, spoilers, scoops, and such. It helps it have clean aerodynamics which gives more range for the energy stored, and more performance even though they may have less HP than some "competitors".
I appreciate that it looks elegant where many "supercars" look like they are trying to start a fight.

Tesla tries to do "more with less". Less tacky add-on wings, spoilers, scoops, and such. It helps it have clean aerodynamics which gives more range for the energy stored, and more performance even though they may have less HP than some "competitors".
I appreciate that it looks elegant where many "supercars" look like they are trying to start a fight.

I think the Lamborghini Aventador is a supercar that looks like it wants to start a fight. I came by a Lamborghini Aventador along my Model 3 and I tried to race it. It was my first test to how the Model 3 would compete against an exotic, and it actually kept up with the Lamborghini, but I had to hold back a little because I was reaching like 87 mph and didn't want to be at 100 mph.

He actually pulled over in my neighborhood and I said hi to him, and he was curious if I was trying to race him. He was a friendly guy, seems to be a true car guy. He showed off his flames too.

Indeed the Tesla roadster looks great. Interesting that it has a somewhat classic front-engined look, while it could have easily been designed to be more cab forward. The minimalist look is great, but as I’ve posted elsewhere, I worry there isn’t enough aero for top end track driving. But I guess I won’t need that for my planned use for it as a daily.

Reactions: wenkan
  • Funny
Reactions: wenkan