Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Roadster not have supercar look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi has an exotic EV that will challenge Tesla Roadster. It does look more like a super car. But the article said it will be slower than the Tesla Roadster. And I have no idea if it will match the 600 mile range.

So is supercar looking not really necessary for an EV?

It does look cool, but Audi & EV don't really go together like Tesla & EV. It's nice other car companies are trying to get on the EV trend since that is what Elon Musk wanted. And seriously, I think an EV supercar would be much easier to maintain than a ICE based supercar.

Audi PB18 600 HP Electric Supercar Reportedly Greenlit To Challenge Tesla Roadster

Audi_PB_18_e-tron_Main.jpg

Audi_PB_18_e-tron_rear.jpg

But that is where they plan to step in with the Space-X package.
You don't need a speed robbing wing for downforce when you can use compressed air thrusters to give downforce on demand only when needed...
Also, having air jets pointed sideways could further help with cornering forces...

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-use-rockets-to-make-the-ultimate-handling-car-5936476

:)Would love to see that happen in my lifetime - without adding cornering-speed-robbing weight.

Assuming that tongue-in-cheek article is being taken seriously, I would really see that as taking away from the skill and fun of managing cornering yourself.

Last edited:
Audi has an exotic EV that will challenge Tesla Roadster. It does look more like a super car. But the article said it will be slower than the Tesla Roadster. And I have no idea if it will match the 600 mile range.

So is supercar looking not really necessary for an EV?

It does look cool, but Audi & EV don't really go together like Tesla & EV. It's nice other car companies are trying to get on the EV trend since that is what Elon Musk wanted. And seriously, I think an EV supercar would be much easier to maintain than a ICE based supercar.

Audi PB18 600 HP Electric Supercar Reportedly Greenlit To Challenge Tesla Roadster

Audi_PB_18_e-tron_Main.jpg

Audi_PB_18_e-tron_rear.jpg

I can't say I like that. Looks way too contrived. EVs don't need to look like this with all the massive air intakes. This is all done primarily for cosmetic effect rather than genuine function, which has never been my thing.

One of the things I really admire about Tesla is that they are not slaves to stereotypical design trends (in this case what you expect a supercar to look like) and simply concentrate on efficiency and function. It really frees them up and gives them a competitive edge.

A good example is how the Jaguar i-Pace aerodynamics were somewhat compromised simply by trying to make it look like a more conventional ICE SUV. The end result was a relatively poor Cd figure compared to the more controversial Model X styling.

Last edited:

That Audi was touted in a lot of press headlines as a Roadster rival, but if you look closer they aren't nearly that similar. The Audi will have much smaller production numbers and appears to be much more a dedicated track toy than a "real car" as Elon put it when introducing the Roadster. He made it pretty clear that the Roadster is intended to be something you can road trip or even daily drive, if you are so inclined, and perhaps the styling reflects that too.

That Audi was touted in a lot of press headlines as a Roadster rival, but if you look closer they aren't nearly that similar. The Audi will have much smaller production numbers and appears to be much more a dedicated track toy than a "real car" as Elon put it when introducing the Roadster. He made it pretty clear that the Roadster is intended to be something you can road trip or even daily drive, if you are so inclined, and perhaps the styling reflects that too.

It will also cost many times more than the Roadster.

My favorite supercar designs have always been those that are the most pure... with the least "bling". McLaren F1, Lamborghini Muira, Porsche 918 Spyder, etc. The new Roadster does this perfectly. To me, many other designs look like they are trying too hard, and that they are trying to compensate for something.

Reactions: donauker and ICUDoc
Fully agree with form follows function. Which is the case for both these designs below. What do you guys think?

Some could say say they are "trying too hard" - but they are certainly not trying to compensate for anything and represent the best of the current generation of track performance cars. Heck, the Senna isn't even a dedicated track car but will still run rings around other supercars (and very likely the roadster, too) - because of the functional aero.

I'm just trying to raise awareness that some of the bits hanging off performance cars are indeed functional for performance.

Of course no one like the fake grills that seem to be the norm even for ICE cars like BMWs and Mercs these days, to say nothing about the i-Pace...
upload_2019-2-20_17-16-52.png
upload_2019-2-20_17-16-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_17-17-49.png
    upload_2019-2-20_17-17-49.png
    385.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: TEG
Fully agree with form follows function. Which is the case for both these designs below. What do you guys think?

Some could say say they are "trying too hard" - but they are certainly not trying to compensate for anything and represent the best of the current generation of track performance cars. Heck, the Senna isn't even a dedicated track car but will still run rings around other supercars (and very likely the roadster, too) - because of the functional aero.

I'm just trying to raise awareness that some of the bits hanging off performance cars are indeed functional for performance.

Of course no one like the fake grills that seem to be the norm even for ICE cars like BMWs and Mercs these days, to say nothing about the i-Pace...
View attachment 379089View attachment 379088

Functional or not, I don’t think I would drive either one of those if you gave them to me for free, too gaudy. The roadster on the other hand looks nice.

I don't see the Roadster and ICE exotics as particularly competitive. Only way they compete for me is for a space in the garage. They do very different things. I'm not selling my GT3 when I get the Roadster nor am I selling my Radical. Each plays a different role.

For me the Roadster is a competitor to the P100D. I want a DD electric w/ highway range so the options are very, very limited! I'll get rid of my MS when I get the Roadster not one of my ICEs.

I don't see the Roadster and ICE exotics as particularly competitive. Only way they compete for me is for a space in the garage. They do very different things. I'm not selling my GT3 when I get the Roadster nor am I selling my Radical. Each plays a different role.

For me the Roadster is a competitor to the P100D. I want a DD electric w/ highway range so the options are very, very limited! I'll get rid of my MS when I get the Roadster not one of my ICEs.
I'm with you - but we seem to be the only ones in this regard. Most people on here somehow seem to miss the point. Not sure why people who've never owned, driven or appreciated feelsome, lightweight performance cars feel the need to comment on how the roadster is going to kill them all....

Honestly I like the look of the Roadster more - not to mention the price difference!!

Every day the Roadster is looking more and more like a bargain. I wonder how many Founders Reservations are down. My suspicion is they've kept it open past 1K.