TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

why satellite radio should have been an option

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by crackers8199, Aug 26, 2018.

1. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

now that tesla has released the parts catalog for model 3, i wonder if this helps...

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47382

there's an antenna amplifier somewhere. i'm wondering if that's where we can tap into (it appears there is a normal antenna connector on the end, from looking at the drawing)...no idea where this is in the car, though.

2. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

curious, where'd you put the xm antenna?

3. silentsnow31802

#63 silentsnow31802, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Did you have any issues with the FM frequency not working correctly?

I have an Onyx EZ radio with the FM transmitter built in and the car does not see it at all. I set the car to 88.1 and the car radio to the same and all I get is a gospel channel. Does not work on any frequency I set. Almost like the Sirius radio is not outputting at all.

EDIT: Never mind im a ding dong.... I factory reset the Sirius radio and its working fine now. Only took me a year to think of trying that.

4. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

how well does it work with just the built in fm transmitter? i'm thinking about picking one up this afternoon and just using that until i have a chance to look for the antenna amplifier...

5. Moose408

Moose408 Member

I delayed my Tesla purchase for 6 weeks because of this issue.

I listen to XM daily and for many of my drives it is my only option as I can't get FM or cell coverage for portions of the drive.

My thought process was that I'm going to try it without XM and if it sucks I will sell the car.

• Like x 1
  6. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

i can tell you that it does in fact suck, especially when you drive through areas with no cell coverage.

7. silentsnow31802

Well just using the preview channel in my garage it works fine. I used a frequency that was getting a clear signal and the Sirius radio over rode it without issue. Have not taken it out into the world though. You can get the Onyx EZ radio with the FM transmitter built in for free from Sirius so there is no reason not to get one to try out.

8. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

free? i was about to pick one up at best buy this afternoon and put it back down to do some more research, is there a link to the free one?

9. silentsnow31802

Browse the Sirius website. Its pretty hard to not get one for free.

• Like x 1
  10. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

how'd you do the install? i've been brainstorming where i want to put the unit / how to run power and/or the antenna wire...any tips?

11. silentsnow31802

I haven't installed it yet. I was thinking running the antenna into the trunk and attaching it to the trunk lid just by the third brake light. Mounting areas are limited since the whole top of the car is glass.

The unit itself I have no idea. Thought about sticking it to the window in the drivers corner but I don't think I like the idea of something being there. Kinda interrupts the whole clean look the Model 3 has.

12. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

i'm thinking of trying to put either in the phone dock area itself or in a tray (something like this: Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects just haven't fully wrapped my head around the details yet. initially i had thought i would just use the actual phone dock and the cable openings there, but i've grown to actually like having my phone there for waze. if i could get my hands on the blank tray from that link, i'd probably just set the unit in there and be done with it, even if it's laying flat...

13. redim

redim Member

14. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

yeah, i saw that thread. under the armrest doesn't really do any good, too much of a pain to change the channel.

how is the reception with the fm extender? i've been back and forth on whether or not i want to give this a shot or wait for someone to figure out an antenna adapter to go direct to the fm unit...

15. redim

redim Member

You need a remote control for the radio car kit with preset channels. Then you won't need to fumble for the radio during driving. It took me a few trials to settle on a reliable FM channel in Boston suburb. I usually only listen to news or talk shows on Sirius so the sound quality isn't a concern.