Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why satellite radio should have been an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
people still pay for XM? (serious question). I always thought paying $100/year for radio was a ripoff when there were dozens of other free options.

My wife still hasn't gotten on board with this. She still likes her XM, it's my one hope to be able to keep our Model 3 to myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But she'll probably just switch to audio books full-time in the Model 3.

Last edited:
people still pay for XM? (serious question). I always thought paying $100/year for radio was a ripoff when there were dozens of other free options.

Tether your phone if it has better reception. Verizon has basically LTE anywhere.
Ya. That’s my question too. People still actually pay for Sirius XM? I thought the died. Although my sisters bolt still had a three month trial.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Ya. That’s my question too. People still actually pay for Sirius XM? I thought the died. Although my sisters bolt still had a three month trial.
In my Volt I got the usual 3 month trial, plus bunch of mailing, plus 1 phone call. The phone call ended things as my reply was never.
The real annoyance is that I can't deselect it on my stereo from the available sources, so it's another source to cycle through after the dumb thing disables the Bluetooth option, failing to take connection time and drops into account, causing the stereo to switch to FM.

Tether your phone if it has better reception. Verizon has basically LTE anywhere.

They offer more than music. Some people enjoy the news and financial stations or the live talk radio. They are doing very well with subscriptions.

Depends on what you listen to. XM has quite a few exclusive channels and programs you can’t get elsewhere. I love their POTUS channel because I am that sort of nerd and XM is the only place I can listen to those shows. Also their sports casting selection is great and often blacked out on Tune-in or other streaming options. My local radio doesn’t broadcast the teams I am listening to since they are across the country.

But for just music, yeah, XM sucks.

SiriusXM gets fairly expensive unless you call all the time and threaten to cancel. It took me 15 minutes to cancel the service in one of my cars when I got my Model 3. They kept trying to sell me service for my model 3. The cancellation process left such a bad taste in my mouth that I am cancelling my other in the next week. I finally got my wife on board to terminate the service.

I have a lifetime Premium subscription - but that's not the only reason I want XM in my car.

As an example, the only streaming services that carry baseball games are SiriusXM and MLB's own "AtBat" app.

And Verizon? Thanks, but I can do with out there not-really-unlimited data plans that cost a LOT more than what I'm getting from T-Mobile (which doesn't count the services I *do* stream towards the data throttling threshold)