Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should I get a 3 instead of a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I read that Y is the most popular trim currently probably until the $25000 hatchback Tesla came out. I got my M3 back in 2018, but if MY was available back then, I would have gotten the Y. I love my 3, but slightly bigger with hatchback is nice. My wife has the Model X and I think it is just too big.

Also there is one difference between the 3 and Y and probably not many people care about it, but I do because I have a white Model 3 and I wash my own cars. The rocker panels (bottom trim of the sides) for the Model 3 is body color (white) paint. It is so hard to keep clean. The Model Y has the black plastic trim like the Model X. That hides the dirt really well between washing.

well, that and the stupid rear doors. (a roof rack is a 'must have' for me.)

We thought the same at first, but have grown to actually really like the doors. Certainly more convenient for the grandparents -- much easier for them to enter/exit.

As for a roof rack, we use a cargo carrier on the hitch instead. That seems to work well for us.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a Tesla for my next car so now I'm trying to decide between a LR 3 or a LR Y.

As far as I can tell the pros of the 3 are better handling, better performance, longer range and lower price.

And the advantages of the Y are more space, hatchback, and higher ground clearance.

I really like hatchbacks more than sedans but I much prefer the size and price of the 3 over the Y.

Why did you buy a 3 instead of Y or vice versa?
For me it would come down to this-do you have kids and if so the Y is an overall better way to go. I have a 4 and 7 year old and the 3 is fair but the Y for space and easy of in and out would be the better way. Babies and very young kids (under 2) alway have a need for tons of "extras" along the way when out and about so again the Y. For me I wanted the performance and the Y had not been released. 6 months later the Y came out and the wife and I both agreed it would have been a much better fit.

For me it would come down to this-do you have kids and if so the Y is an overall better way to go. I have a 4 and 7 year old and the 3 is fair but the Y for space and easy of in and out would be the better way. Babies and very young kids (under 2) alway have a need for tons of "extras" along the way when out and about so again the Y. For me I wanted the performance and the Y had not been released. 6 months later the Y came out and the wife and I both agreed it would have been a much better fit.
If you need a Y for a couple kids, you’re bringing around too much crap. 😁 J/P

My kids are a little older than 4 & 7 now, but the wife and I got around fine when the kids were that age with an ‘01 Focus sedan which is smaller than a 3. Didn’t feel the need for a larger vehicle.

Why did you buy a 3 instead of Y or vice versa?
For my 95 year old house, the Model 3 is the only Tesla that will fit down the driveway between the houses. The only time I'm envious of the Model Y is when I'm trying to load my aged parents in. That would be easier in a Y or X. The rest of the time, I love the handling, the acceleration, the one pedal driving and the incremental updates to the software. M3 LR AWD.

yep. but hard to put a canoe on a cargo rack :) I know - special use case, but for me it is very real.
1,000%! And for that, I'm glad. Anything else and the world would be exceedingly boring!

(
How do you charge 2 Tesla with two drivers living in the same home? Assuming if you do charge at a home garage & live together?

Is it possible to share one Level 2 charger? Or you have two?

We have two Wall Connectors at home, each on their own circuit. We could’ve implemented “power sharing” and put them on the same circuit, but had enough headroom in our panel and service for both.

If you need a Y for a couple kids, you’re bringing around too much crap. 😁 J/P

My kids are a little older than 4 & 7 now, but the wife and I got around fine when the kids were that age with an ‘01 Focus sedan which is smaller than a 3. Didn’t feel the need for a larger vehicle.
Ugh, we strugle with one dog and a 4 year old...

The y would have been the practical right choice for me. I didn't like the handling, interior noise, or driving position.

In case anyone is wondering I ended up getting a Y. It was a really hard choice but the hatchback won me over in the end. So far I feel like I made the right choice. I got the acceleration boost for my Y and it's faster than I would ever need. The Y is a little bit bigger than I would really like in an ideal world but it's not too huge.

How do you charge 2 Tesla with two drivers living in the same home? Assuming if you do charge at a home garage & live together?

Great question. It hasn't been an issue so far since I've been WFH, and my wife only travels to work a few days a week. I bought the Gen 1 mobile charger to leave plugged in and it works great. I get 35mph and her Y gets 37mph.

We have my p3 and a bolt... we just charge when the other is done. Usually she charges one day and I on the other, or right after each other. I'm usually home before her and charge, when she gets home she just plugs in.

Reactions: JohnnyEV