Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should I get a 3 instead of a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always thought it looked worse than the 3 but when I saw it directly from the rear of the car for the first time I really thought it looked worse. As one of my friends told me once, "why can't they just make electric cars look like normal (ICE) cars?"
Well, there are other manufactures that make normal looking cars. E-tron, I-pace ect. Kia and the ID. It's just Tesla looks like, well, a tesla. Some people love the look, others hate it.

I personally find it helpful to hear other viewpoints as I'm sure I have not considered all angles and thoughts on x topic. Other people's experiences can be helpful IMO.

Yeah, you're in the category of consumer that tends to be more data-based than emotion-based. As you can tell some people in this forum don't see things the way you do hah.

Anyway, a few other thoughts about that whole "why don't they make EVs look like ICE" thing. The whole 2 box (SUVs) and 3 box (Sedan) car shapes are basically throwbacks to days gone by where cars were built on ladder frames and had to be modular to form around a seated occupant. The reason you don't really want EVs to look like ICE cars is that they don't really have to.

Tesla actually made the concession to make their cars look ICE-ish just to be familiar to the masses. An EV could get more range and do better for max-efficiency if it simply looked more like a tear-drop. There were lots of failed EVs and weird ideas that never panned out. The tear-drop shape is simply offputting to many buyers because they want innovative, but not "weird":

The Model 3 does benefit from some things by being 100% EV though... for example the driver's sightlines are very good since the hood tapers down (no engine!) instead of blocking the view. Contrast this with a Volvo XC40 EV where you're basically just ... in a Volvo XC40. So the car ends up having all the packaging restrictions as if it had a big motor in front.

Some people like familiar, but some people like different. Which is great for everybody since there are lots of cars to choose from :)

We had a 2017 Model S 75RWD and purchased a 2018 Model X. Went to test drive a model 3 about a 3 years ago to see if the single screen was for us. I liked it and love how it drove. August we purchased the MY for business opportunity. I fell in love with it. Thought I want to get a model 3 for the fun of it. Over the weekend went to the show room to kick some tires. There were no cars except one M3. Took a seat and realized how different it felt getting down in it. Getting out felt strange too. I probably wouldn't feel that way but now having many miles on the MY, it's feeling more and more natural of a drivers car. I do think age plays a huge factor of which model you like. I'm going to say 42. Yep, I said it. If you're 42 or older, you will really enjoy what the Model Y offers. If you're younger than 42, you will love the handling and excitement that the 3 offers. How far off am I?

We had a 2017 Model S 75RWD and purchased a 2018 Model X. Went to test drive a model 3 about a 3 years ago to see if the single screen was for us. I liked it and love how it drove. August we purchased the MY for business opportunity. I fell in love with it. Thought I want to get a model 3 for the fun of it. Over the weekend went to the show room to kick some tires. There were no cars except one M3. Took a seat and realized how different it felt getting down in it. Getting out felt strange too. I probably wouldn't feel that way but now having many miles on the MY, it's feeling more and more natural of a drivers car. I do think age plays a huge factor of which model you like. I'm going to say 42. Yep, I said it. If you're 42 or older, you will really enjoy what the Model Y offers. If you're younger than 42, you will love the handling and excitement that the 3 offers. How far off am I?
42 might be the answer to Life The Universe and Everything but it's not the answer to whether you should get a 3 or a Y. I'm 66 and I would never pick the Y over the 3. The advantage of the Y is that it has more cargo space aside from that the 3 is the better car. The 3 has more range, better rear visibility and better handling and it also looks much better. I don't need more cargo space, if it's too big to fit in the truck of the 3 I'll have it shipped. I have no desire to schlep large objects, I'd much rather somebody else do that for me so I'd ship rather than carry even if I had the room.

Yeah, you're in the category of consumer that tends to be more data-based than emotion-based. As you can tell some people in this forum don't see things the way you do hah.

Correct, I need facts, data points, and real world user experiences. I can then merge that with my own "feelings" as to what I like and don't like and come to a conclusion. I'm a CPA who now works in corp finance btw so it's on brand lol.

Yikes, the Y must be terrible then because I reckon the 3 has bad visibility. The massive A pillar seems to always be in the way on windy roads.

Mind you I'm comparing with a very old car which has negligible 'safety' to speak of so... The price you pay.
There is very little rear visibility in a model y. It's ridiculously bad. Luckily, you can hit the camera icon and see what's behind if needed.

People that have a M3 or MY, what detail do you wish you had the other equivilant model provided that yours does not?
I have a Y. I prefer the smaller size, smaller wheels, longer range, lower price, better visibility and better performance of the 3.

However, I really like the utility of hatchbacks and that was the main reason I went with the Y. Also the roads where I live are pretty bad in places and even the Model Y is a bit low for my tastes.

If there was a version of the 3 with a hatchback I would have gotten that car for sure but the fact that it is a sedan was a non starter for me.

Correct, I need facts, data points, and real world user experiences. I can then merge that with my own "feelings" as to what I like and don't like and come to a conclusion. I'm a CPA who now works in corp finance btw so it's on brand lol.

Probably why you and @holeydonut see things the same way, lol

Anyway, a few other thoughts about that whole "why don't they make EVs look like ICE" thing. The whole 2 box (SUVs) and 3 box (Sedan) car shapes are basically throwbacks to days gone by where cars were built on ladder frames and had to be modular to form around a seated occupant. The reason you don't really want EVs to look like ICE cars is that they don't really have to.

Tesla actually made the concession to make their cars look ICE-ish just to be familiar to the masses. An EV could get more range and do better for max-efficiency if it simply looked more like a tear-drop. There were lots of failed EVs and weird ideas that never panned out. The tear-drop shape is simply offputting to many buyers because they want innovative, but not "weird":

The Model 3 does benefit from some things by being 100% EV though... for example the driver's sightlines are very good since the hood tapers down (no engine!) instead of blocking the view. Contrast this with a Volvo XC40 EV where you're basically just ... in a Volvo XC40. So the car ends up having all the packaging restrictions as if it had a big motor in front.

Some people like familiar, but some people like different. Which is great for everybody since there are lots of cars to choose from :)

I find this viewpoint pretty interesting. I also find that depending on how these questions are asked, they can look like information gathering, or look like someone is trying to defer to "the internet" to make a decision for them.

Consider these two statements:

==========================

1. Whats up everyone!. I have no idea of what color M3 to buy! Suggest what color I should buy, and why. Thanks!

2. Hello everyone, I have a question for the community. I really like black cars, but am concerned the tesla paint may not hold up the way I want. Can anyone give me their experiences living with tesla black paint?

I see these two things VERY differently.

The first one, I am like, internally "WTF how is someone supposed to just suggest a random car color to this person? Are they just going to buy the color that people recommend the most? No right? This is obviously just to get discussion going here, because it has no real purpose or meaning whatsoever.

The second one I am like "this person has a specific question that they want input from people who have the product / color, this makes perfect sense."

Everyone sees forums as something for different purposes. Some see them as places they can argue with others, some see them as places to get help, and some see them as a way they can get answers without doing any research on their own.

I am all for gathering information, so get that, and sort of reject (on a personal level anyway) notions that there is no value in gathering data from others. However, I (on a personal level, anyway), reject things like "what color should I buy?" "Should I cancel my order? " or stuff like that.

I find this viewpoint pretty interesting. I also find that depending on how these questions are asked, they can look like information gathering, or look like someone is trying to defer to "the internet" to make a decision for them.

Consider these two statements:

1. Whats up everyone!. I have no idea of what color M3 to buy! Suggest what color I should buy, and why. Thanks!

2. Hello everyone, I have a question for the community. I really like black cars, but am concerned the tesla paint may not hold up the way I want. Can anyone give me their experiences living with tesla black paint?

The first one, I am like, internally "WTF how is someone supposed to just suggest a random car color to this person? Are they just going to buy the color that people recommend the most? No right? This is obviously just to get discussion going here, because it has no real purpose or meaning whatsoever.

The second one I am like "this person has a specific question that they want input from people who have the product / color, this makes perfect sense."

Everyone sees forums as something for different purposes. Some see them as places they can argue with others, some see them as places to get help, and some see them as a way they can get answers without doing any research on their own.

I am all for gathering information, so get that, and sort of reject (on a personal level anyway) notions that there is no value in gathering data from others. However, I (on a personal level, anyway), reject things like "what color should I buy?" "Should I cancel my order? " or stuff like that.
Yes, I 100% agree and view those two scenarios completely differently. I am more interested in data points and user experiences then something frivolous like the color of your car or the type of rims you have because those are personal preferences IMO.

I can't speak about Jeremy's motive/intent. But since he said what his occupation was, I can at least empathize with why he posited his question the way he did. Probably a good thing to understand in general if you work in a corporate environment.

So one of the issues any person in accounting or finance will encounter is that people at the company they're working for/supporting are friggin liars. Everybody lies to some degree (thanks Dr. House). This premise makes getting useful facts from folks pretty tough. Even more difficult is to get enough understanding from people to form reasonable inferences on forecasted business expectations. If people will lie on retroactive things that can literally be proven by looking at metrics, imagine what they will say when given the greenfield of simply describing what they "would do".

If someone seeking answers leads with the question in your number 2 example, then it kind of leads people down a path of talking about black paint... or reliability... or whatever was kind of directed by the statement. It boxes the responses into a pretty tight window.

But going with the number 1 approach allows the audience to take advantage of the situation and "outsmart" the question asker. Maybe they dive into how ugly certain colors are... or how they don't like frogs. But asking the question all stupid like provides a scattershot of feedback to allow some trends to materialize. People can still make stuff up, but now they're making stuff up to impress rather than make stuff up to force-fit the original question's narrative.

The irony is that after talking to a finance person who leads with stupid questions, many people's initial thoughts will be "why did we hire this finance loser, he doesn't know what the hell is happening and is such a waste of resources." But people who have that mentality are usually the ones who spill the most beans and tip their hands rather quickly since they want to prove how great their knowledgebase is.

TLDR, asking questions in a seemingly unhelpful way actually gets more candid feedback/input than asking what seems like a useful question.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I have both.

Yes the 3 is a bit cheaper but at the end of the day it's not a big difference.
Yes the 3 goes a bit further on a charge but again it's not a big difference.

IMHO The only reason to get a 3 over a Y is is you truly love to drive and appreciate a nimble fun to drive car. The Y is very fun for an SUV, but the 3 has it beat. If you're looking for a fun go-cart feel, get the 3. If you don't care about that sort of thing absolutely get the Y as it's the superior vehicle.

I can't speak about Jeremy's motive/intent. But since he said what his occupation was, I can at least empathize with why he posited his question the way he did. Probably a good thing to understand in general if you work in a corporate environment.

So one of the issues any person in accounting or finance will encounter is that people at the company they're working for/supporting are friggin liars. Everybody lies to some degree (thanks Dr. House). This premise makes getting useful facts from folks pretty tough. Even more difficult is to get enough understanding from people to form reasonable inferences on forecasted business expectations. If people will lie on retroactive things that can literally be proven by looking at metrics, imagine what they will say when given the greenfield of simply describing what they "would do".

If someone seeking answers leads with the question in your number 2 example, then it kind of leads people down a path of talking about black paint... or reliability... or whatever was kind of directed by the statement. It boxes the responses into a pretty tight window.

But going with the number 1 approach allows the audience to take advantage of the situation and "outsmart" the question asker. Maybe they dive into how ugly certain colors are... or how they don't like frogs. But asking the question all stupid like provides a scattershot of feedback to allow some trends to materialize. People can still make stuff up, but now they're making stuff up to impress rather than make stuff up to force-fit the original question's narrative.

The irony is that after talking to a finance person who leads with stupid questions, many people's initial thoughts will be "why did we hire this finance loser, he doesn't know what the hell is happening and is such a waste of resources." But people who have that mentality are usually the ones who spill the most beans and tip their hands rather quickly since they want to prove how great their knowledgebase is.

TLDR, asking questions in a seemingly unhelpful way actually gets more candid feedback/input than asking what seems like a useful question.
I’ll speak for myself and say I’m not arrogant enough to believe that I know everything and have considered all data points as it relates to anything. Some people will spend $80,000 on a car and not think twice about it. I prefer to make sure that the decisions that I am making are the “right ones“ and that I have gathered enough data points before making the decision. This also helps prevents any buyers remorse or FOMO. As a slight off topic point, politics in America are currently the way they are because of this exact thing as each side believes they are smarter than the other and that there is nothing to gain by simply listening to someone with a differing viewpoint. I really don’t want to get into any politics discussion on any internet forum but I think that helps drive home the point I’m trying to make. If you listen more you might actually learn something versus trying to prove you’re the smartest in the room every time. You can also reject any opinion or data point that anyone presents to you, nobody said you had to accept it as the gospel.

Hi everyone,

Each day I'm more convinced to replace my ICE vehicle with a Tesla... the big question for me now is between the M3 or MY.

I just test drove the M3, I loved it...and will schedule to test drive the MY sometime next week.

Beside the price difference between the M3 LR vs. MY LR ... what's are the reasons for you to decide the M3 over the MY ??? Pros, cons., life experience... I really appreciate your comments...thx
=======================

(moderator note: this post, and posts after it, moved from a separately created thread into this one, because it addresses the same topic)

Last edited by a moderator: