Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should I get a 3 instead of a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I decided that the Model 3 is the right car for us at the moment. We love sedans and find the Model 3 a svelte car that turns heads all the time, especially with the younger than 16 crowd. Kids ABSOLUTELY love it! In terms of practical reasons, the 3 is more efficient to drive, and we don't normally need a big trunk to move large packages. We are expecting a child later this year and the 3 will be enough for our growing family at least for the coming 5 years.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
This could be just my heavy foot but I think the MY is a thirsty beast. Keep that in mind. Most of the below drive was interstate sure but, an M3 at similar speeds was nowhere near these numbers. 2020 April build 20in with comp 4S

Sunday drive.PNG

After test driving both, I ended up buying a LR M3. I enjoyed the higher seating position in the Y, but for me the deal breaker was the flabby handling. No regrets here - love the M3. My advise would be to test drive both over the same roads, then make your decision. Good luck!

Reactions: Jeremy3292
When they first came out, the Y seemed like a better 3. But now that I've gotten used to seeing Model Ys and telling them apart at a glance, to concur with some of the previous comments, the Y is bloated, the 3 is svelte. The default white color makes the Y look even fatter. I feel better sitting in the 3, lower center of gravity, and a tighter canopy. I prefer smaller and svelte all around, no day to day need for extra cargo space.

Now, there have been improvements with the Y, fewer parts, and that could spell fewer issues down the road. But those manufacturing improvements have probably migrated to the newest 3s by now, so the 2 cars are probably very similar now. Just the look, efficiency, lower cost and better handling for the 3, and the extra space on the Y. Depends entirely on personal needs and taste. If I got a white Y I'd have to spend time every day hauling 2x4s and stuff, to try to feel better about it.

When they first came out, the Y seemed like a better 3. But now that I've gotten used to seeing Model Ys and telling them apart at a glance, to concur with some of the previous comments, the Y is bloated, the 3 is svelte. The default white color makes the Y look even fatter. I feel better sitting in the 3, lower center of gravity, and a tighter canopy. I prefer smaller and svelte all around, no day to day need for extra cargo space.

Now, there have been improvements with the Y, fewer parts, and that could spell fewer issues down the road. But those manufacturing improvements have probably migrated to the newest 3s by now, so the 2 cars are probably very similar now. Just the look, efficiency, lower cost and better handling for the 3, and the extra space on the Y. Depends entirely on personal needs and taste. If I got a white Y I'd have to spend time every day hauling 2x4s and stuff, to try to feel better about it.

I think the megacasting on the Y's rear chassis is pretty cool. But I'm pretty sure 99.99999% of buyers won't be able to notice or care.

The main reasons to choose the MY over the M3 (in my eyes):
  1. Higher seating position
  2. Rear seat headroom
  3. Cargo room/practicality
Cons:
  1. Uglier bubblier design
  2. Higher price point (especially since no SR)
  3. Worse handling
Personally, if they still offered the SR MY in May when I placed my order, I would've gotten one. I love my M3, but I have driven Trucks and SUVs for the last 10 years, going back to a sedan was a shocker, the seating position and the higher viewpoint would be worth it to me. But I wasn't willing to pay $13k more for a (now) base MY at $53k, especially since I have a Bronco on order to come in next year. However, if I didn't, and the Tesla would've been my only vehicle, I would've gotten a MY LR. My biggest complaints about my SR M3 is the range and handling in the rain. But since I'll have a 4WD ICE vehicle in the future, I just needed an every day commuter vehicle and the M3 SR+ fit that nicely.

Reactions: Darmie
The last car I'd truly loved was a Datsun 280ZX.

It was stolen by a cretin who didn't notice the
expired tags. After they had raced him all over
local freeways and he crashed into a divider,
leaving his forehead print in the windshield, and
his prison paperwork on the front seat, he ran
across the primeval and climbed a tree. By the
time a CHP chopper was on the case, and
they asked what he was doing there, he said,
and this is a championship original, "I live here".
The car was what you'd call "totally totaled".

As I started to develop a bond with the Tesla,
by Jove, it's dawned on me that there is oddly
some type of kissin' cousin resonance between
a Model 3 and a late Z-car. Pretty hard to show in
photos, but it's there. E.g. the svelte fighter vibe,
although a Model 3 is already subtly on its way
to waddely Y middle age bloat, kinda like its owner.
I'd prefer to waddle no further. I vote Model 3.

20210614_174523xM.jpg

280zxBlack.png

Reactions: KenC
One other reason that I went with the M3 instead of the Y was the view out back from the rear view mirror. The configuration of the Y causes looking out of the rear window to be very restrictive, almost tunnel-like. The same view with the M3 is more normal. Just my personal preference.

Since you are looking at the long range you really can't go wrong with either. One advantage of the Y is the hatch style trunk so better to lead larger items. The Y also rides higher being a SUV if you like that. The 3 will give you a bit quicker performance and better handling. The 3 will also save you some cash. Really depends on your priorities. Both are great so get the one that fits your needs.

Reactions: TexasTezla