Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so few SW updates for my 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2016 MS 5 years ago and still love driving it. I used to read a lot of TMC forum posts to keep up to date on things, but haven't been here for over a year now. So I'm wondering if the lack of software updates is due to the age of my car and Tesla isn't updating older cars very often. My current version is v10.2 (2020.48.37.8). I have no desire to update to a new Tesla, my car has only 20,000 miles, I've paid $0 over 5 years for charging since I have free lifetime use of Superchargers, and my car has had no maintenance done to it since I purchases it in Dec. 2016.

It’s every Model S/X produced before 2018. Something like 135,000 cars.
Right, minus those that chose to do the MCU2 upgrade.

What kind of changes are you expecting? There's only so much you can do with software until you hit hardware limitations. So what exactly is it you think you're going to get with a software update?

That’s true and to me MCU1 on my AP1 car should probably have stopped getting new updates and features much earlier. They slowed it down so much.
It was still working, so canot complain that it was unusable (except the browser indeed).
And it is entirely my fault to keep on accepting the update.

Cold weather improvements
Yes, running joke indeed, but more seriously, the MCU2 upgrade brought improved feature that are quite useful
- working voice commands
- way points in nav
- Netflix and YouTube are occasionally nice

And a quick interface, which is nice.

But it ain’t for free.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
I have a mid-2016 MS90D, so AP1 and as of today still on MCU1. What I am seeing now is that software updates for AP1 MCU legacy systems appear to be coming roughly once a quarter. For those that want the specifics, dates I've installed last 4 update are: Feb 18, 2021; May 12, 2021; Jul 24, 2021; Oct 15, 2021.

For the most part these have tended to be mostly bug fixes, but have been a few "feature" changes per the release notes, such as improvements around schedule departure functionality, supercharger info display, vehicle information display info, ability to stay connected to wifi. Some would say those are nothing significant, and clearly not some of the features being delivered for MCU2 cars such as the most recent abilities to better control charging via the app, ability to add waypoint to navigation, etc. While I'd like to get some of those, I also understand the realities of all companies needing to make decisions around product obsolescence timing and when they start to scale back/limit updates for older generation products.

Personally, I've come to accept that this is the situation for MCU1 with roughly a quarterly software update cycle being reasonable and understandable in my opinion. Whether this will continue to be the cadence over the next year, none of us really know, but I know about 2 weeks from now it won't matter to me personally as I've finally decided to pull out my wallet and have an appointment scheduled for the MCU2 upgrade for my car.

Upvote 0
I have a mid-2016 MS90D, so AP1 and as of today still on MCU1. What I am seeing now is that software updates for AP1 MCU legacy systems appear to be coming roughly once a quarter. For those that want the specifics, dates I've installed last 4 update are: Feb 18, 2021; May 12, 2021; Jul 24, 2021; Oct 15, 2021.

For the most part these have tended to be mostly bug fixes, but have been a few "feature" changes per the release notes, such as improvements around schedule departure functionality, supercharger info display, vehicle information display info, ability to stay connected to wifi. Some would say those are nothing significant, and clearly not some of the features being delivered for MCU2 cars such as the most recent abilities to better control charging via the app, ability to add waypoint to navigation, etc. While I'd like to get some of those, I also understand the realities of all companies needing to make decisions around product obsolescence timing and when they start to scale back/limit updates for older generation products.

Personally, I've come to accept that this is the situation for MCU1 with roughly a quarterly software update cycle being reasonable and understandable in my opinion. Whether this will continue to be the cadence over the next year, none of us really know, but I know about 2 weeks from now it won't matter to me personally as I've finally decided to pull out my wallet and have an appointment scheduled for the MCU2 upgrade for my car.
My early 2016 S90D has had 88 updates since I bought it new. About 1 a month lately.

88. November 23, 2021
Updated to 10.2 (2021.40.6 eed31525bfea)

It does have MCU2.

Upvote 0
My early 2016 S90D has had 88 updates since I bought it new. About 1 a month lately.

88. November 23, 2021
Updated to 10.2 (2021.40.6 eed31525bfea)

It does have MCU2.
None of your updates that are a 2021.xx build would have happened for an MCU1 car. MCU1 updates this year have all continued to be based upon 2020.xx software, with what I believe the most recent of which is still 2020.48.37.8 which is what I received mid-Oct.

Upvote 0
Follow up question--I heard months ago that Tesla is required to replace a chip in a mandatory recall. I believe it has something to do with the center console screen. I haven't been contacted by Tesla and haven't heard any further news about it. Is there anything I need to do or is it just being patient until Tesla contacts me? Thanks!
This might be related to a flash part that wears out and then bricks the car. I think given the chip shortages they're gonna do this fix one-by-one on the older, higher risk cars rather than try to replace all of them at once.

Upvote 0
Can the MCU upgrade on the older S be done at home with the mobile techs? or is this a visit to the shop?
The app allowed me to select appointment when I scheduled my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade about a week ago. However, after a day or so I had message from my service center informing me they were converting my request to an appointment at the service center. This may depend upon the location, but what I was told is a big part of the time involves needing to load new firmware. I'm guessing since a lot of that is 'down time' for the tech as software loads this allows them to have the tech be working on other vehicles and not just sitting waiting.
It's possible this might vary based upon location, but that's what I was told within past 10 days.

Upvote 0
Have an AP1/MCU1 car and upgraded to MCU2…. Best thing I ever did. Snappier interface and watching YouTubeTV in the car has been great with free Premium Connectivity along with YouTube, Netflix, etc.

My son also likes playing Skyforce through long drive thru waits at Chick-fil-A and In-N-Out.

Best of all the internet browser works and I can even use it while driving.

Upvote 0
I can't help but still hold out hope that John Carmack is secretly rewriting the code for MCU1 and Tesla will release it to us. Back in August, Carmack tweeted :
I did kind of volunteer to help them fix what I consider very poor user interface performance on the older model S (that I drive). Their engineers have been sharing data with me.
Maybe newer features are being held back till Carmack can sort out the back end? I can dream, can't I?

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Follow up question--I heard months ago that Tesla is required to replace a chip in a mandatory recall. I believe it has something to do with the center console screen. I haven't been contacted by Tesla and haven't heard any further news about it. Is there anything I need to do or is it just being patient until Tesla contacts me? Thanks!
I had my chip replaced. No real changes. I asked about my slow start-up time and SC stated the new chip would fix it. It did NOT. I love my 2016 75D and have just lived with cold feet in Winter. Floor heat SUCKS! I turn up the fan and open a window. :) Selling is on my mind off/on.

Upvote 0

Except that I was promised when I bought my 2016 MS that the car had “everything needed” for FSD. And I was pressured into upgrading my old 2014 MS or I would have to start paying for charging. Tesla needs to make this right. It should be illegal to promise a car that can fully self drive then a few months later add the real hardware needed to do it. They need to upgrade the MCU and cameras for free if needed. But because we are such a small percentage of the company’s total sales, they have ignored us. Not a way to treat the people who got this company through the tough economic times by investing and taking a chance on developing technology.

Upvote 1