Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so many 21" Ubertines for sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only performance benefit with the fancy red MYP brakes is the better cooling on track days. It’s crazy that more people don’t know this.. The information is all there when comparing the specs on Tesla’s site.
Actually its not cooling but the opposite, its heatsoak. The Brembos and slightly thicker rotor can hold more heat before fading. There's no improved cooling anywhere on a MYP. For tracking, ideally some brake ducting would be best but better fluid/pads to increase boiling point and handle higher heat is the biggest improvement. Brembos alone don't achieve anything, you don't need more clamping force.

Reactions: pookguy
Yes, there's a lot of people selling Uberturbines right now. It's been like that for the past 6 months. What's funny is people still think they're worth a lot more than what people are willing to pay for them.

I sold my Uberturbines with only 23 miles on them for $2000 because I wanted to sell them fast and I was content with receiving that amount for them. I see people trying to sell their Uberturbines with 500+ miles on the tires and asking almost $3000 for it. Why? Dunno, but it's a free market and if they are willing to sit on them and wait for the right sucker buyer to come along, then more power to them.

Funny enough, I'm one of the few people out there who sold their 21" Uberturbines, just to put another set of 21" wheels on 😁. But at least my new wheels are much lighter than the Uberturbines, and I'm running a square setup.

I see people trying to sell their Uberturbines with 500+ miles on the tires and asking almost $3000 for it. Why? Dunno, but it's a free market and if they are willing to sit on them and wait for the right sucker buyer to come along, then more power to them.

Funny enough, I'm one of the few people out there who sold their 21" Uberturbines, just to put another set of 21" wheels on 😁. But at least my new wheels are much lighter than the Uberturbines, and I'm running a square setup.
I'm not sure I understand why people would pay more money (or even the same money) for Uberturbines as opposed to aftermarket wheels. IMO buying anything in 21" is not smart but there are so many better aftermarket options anyway that weigh 10+ lbs less each.

I'm not sure I understand why people would pay more money (or even the same money) for Uberturbines as opposed to aftermarket wheels. IMO buying anything in 21" is not smart but there are so many better aftermarket options anyway that weigh 10+ lbs less each.
The Überturbine may be a heavy wheel relative to aftermarket offerings but, it's a good looking wheel and it's OEM. The weight savings is undisputed but the aftermarket wheel options for Model Y are awful. There are very few, if any, I would buy.

Reactions: zpaul
The weight of the 21” Ubers is definitely unfortunate however the comparatively firm (jarring?) ride can be partially mitigated by upsizing the tires. Benefits of this approach are 1) less cost to replace tires only 2) greatly improved wheel gap 3) improved wheel protection using wider/taller tires 4) improved stance/appearance [no OEM stretched look] and 5) seemingly more tire options. Our other car is a Model Y LR with 19” Geminis and I can honestly report that the ride is very similar between them now that the tire spec of the MYP has been improved. Yes, the weight is still an issue, but the style of the Ubers works for me (us) and the new Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires are worlds better than came on the car so I’m calling it a WIN. YMMV.

Does anyone manufacturer a lightweight forged 18" reasonably aero looking wheel that will fit well on a Y?

I've done the whole low profile tire thing on other vehicles and it's all downside. It adds significant weight, sucks power on the dyno(which lowers mpg as well), makes your brakes less effective, handles & rides worse.

Yes, there's a lot of people selling Uberturbines right now. It's been like that for the past 6 months. What's funny is people still think they're worth a lot more than what people are willing to pay for them.

I sold my Uberturbines with only 23 miles on them for $2000 because I wanted to sell them fast and I was content with receiving that amount for them. I see people trying to sell their Uberturbines with 500+ miles on the tires and asking almost $3000 for it. Why? Dunno, but it's a free market and if they are willing to sit on them and wait for the right sucker buyer to come along, then more power to them.

What set up are you running if you don’t mind me asking. I have a LR and have been looking for a square set up on 21’s. I know there’s a MY on stance’s website who is running a square set up as well.

The weight of the 21” Ubers is definitely unfortunate however the comparatively firm (jarring?) ride can be partially mitigated by upsizing the tires. Benefits of this approach are 1) less cost to replace tires only 2) greatly improved wheel gap 3) improved wheel protection using wider/taller tires 4) improved stance/appearance [no OEM stretched look] and 5) seemingly more tire options. Our other car is a Model Y LR with 19” Geminis and I can honestly report that the ride is very similar between them now that the tire spec of the MYP has been improved. Yes, the weight is still an issue, but the style of the Ubers works for me (us) and the new Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires are worlds better than came on the car so I’m calling it a WIN. YMMV.
What did you upsize to?