Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so many used Model S for sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I am still thinking about taking the plunge, but one thing I have noticed recently that is making me be more cautious and think twice is the sheer amount of used model S available. On Autotrader there are currently over 300 used MS for sale? Am I missing something or is this a portent of much more depreciation and significantly lower used prices to come? Any opinions welcome.

Quick recap for me: Have M3 reservation, thinking of MS to help with priority.

I've been contemplating new/used MS, which I would then sell when I got my M3. I too have seen "a lot" of used MS on the market, although the CPOs have all but dried up. I think once the M3s hit the street, more people will be selling their MS. So I'm now leaning towards not chancing a dip in resale value in 2~ years, when there could be an even larger glut of MS on the used market. I also don't need (or want) a car as big as the S. M3 is perfect for my needs, and I can afford to get it pimped out.

Not sure why you think 300 is a lot. Not sure what current number of deliveries are for the US, but I'm sure 300 is but a small percentage. I'm sure lots of people are selling theirs to upgrade to newer model.

Humm, why is 300 a lot? If you are searching autotrader across the entire USA, then 300 is not much at all... I mean how many total BMW 7 series since model year say 2012 is for sale on autotrader? Kind of have to compare apples to apples.

Say 50k Model S's have been sold in the US, then 300 is less than 1% of the total, for sale on the market... That's not really that high.

Well, I am still thinking about taking the plunge, but one thing I have noticed recently that is making me be more cautious and think twice is the sheer amount of used model S available. On Autotrader there are currently over 300 used MS for sale? Am I missing something or is this a portent of much more depreciation and significantly lower used prices to come? Any opinions welcome.
A lot of S owners who bought in 2012 and 2013 and early 2014 have traded up to an Autopilot capable S or even an X. Hence there are some used S vehicles for sale. I don't see why that would be considered remarkable.

And yes, unsurprisingly, Teslas do depreciate, just like every other car. The car's value drops with time and mileage. Just like every other car.

as has been said... 300 nationally is NOTHING. absolutely nothing. if anything it speaks to its longevity and long-term customer satisfaction.

Regardless of the number, the quality sucks.

That is - the pricing sucks not really the quality. I've wanted a used S for my wife. The CPO thing has been frustrating - loss of inventory. So on this post, I decided to check my area.

About 10 cars. 2 private sellers and 8 dealer cars. 200 mile radius. All were IMO poorly priced. A 60k mile car for $60k. No comment on extended warranty and we all know how crappy it is anyway. The typical performance 60kwh car - ha. A motivated private seller asking $82k for a 2013 P85 with 25k miles? Excuse me a 2016 90D is better in so many ways and optioned the same is $92 after TC. So $10 k discount for 3 year old car with 25k miles. Ha

So the issue isn't number of cars for sale. Because the 10 around me are priced far enough away from reality to not be serious cars. And I live in a pretty high Tesla area - there is a X a mile from me and I see Tesla's daily. My best deal for the wife is likely a 70RWD. $63 after TC.

Deals are probably to be had. The motivated seller is moving to Japan - but go back to non next gen seats and a P with no D - would have to be $60k.....The car is a 2013 P with base 19 in wheels which I'm pretty sure wasn't an option, no red piping on seats either.

Cheapest car is $55k but that is for a 2013 "Performance" 60 - so not a seller I would deal with. And that is a high price still

David,

Buyer of preowned cars will always feel that prices are too high, while sellers feel they are too low. Issue is, if those are the prices you are seeing in your area, I assume those are close to the prices at which cars are being sold in your area...

NC is kind of known for being high on car prices (both new and preowned). Maybe shop in GA instead? I ve gotten 5 cars in the past 3 to 4 years, and other than the Tesla, which was ordered online, all others were bought in GA. NC and SC, due to having low to no car sales tax, just have much higher prices (both new and used) compared with GA (which has a crazy 7.5% tax).

Since you are in NC, you ll pay NC tax even if you buy in GA. Of course, it's kind of hard to buy pre-owned cars unless you can actually see and drive the car... and GA is pretty damn far away.

Quick recap for me: Have M3 reservation, thinking of MS to help with priority.

I've been contemplating new/used MS, which I would then sell when I got my M3. I too have seen "a lot" of used MS on the market, although the CPOs have all but dried up. I think once the M3s hit the street, more people will be selling their MS. So I'm now leaning towards not chancing a dip in resale value in 2~ years, when there could be an even larger glut of MS on the used market. I also don't need (or want) a car as big as the S. M3 is perfect for my needs, and I can afford to get it pimped out.

I'm not sure when Tesla will officially prioritize orders for existing owners, but when ever that happens, I'm not sure how retroactive ownership will work.