Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why stores offer free EV charging? Not free gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the concept for shopping centers to have free EV charging? In theory it's just for customers, but no one is watching it or enforcing that it's customers only where it requires a validation. I think the only thing they can enforce is the hours the EV charger will work, like some shopping centers may shut them off at night so no one is gonna try get free electricity while the shopping center is closed at 2am.

Maybe someone lives very close to the shopping center and tries to charge for free every single night, but probably won't be practical to do it every single day. But there was an opportunity for me to get free charging nearly the entire trip while I was in AZ. I stayed at my friend's apartment in Glendale which is very close to the State Farm Arena. His apartment though had no EV charging and I really preferred charging overnight instead of waiting an hour each time at a supercharger. There were Voltas nearby, but that shopping center puts up barricades and has security enforcing for no car to be there after closing hours. But there was a free Chargepoint near the Carls Jr with no barricades and there was never a car there at night. So I was lucky and I got free 100% charging every single night we went back to his apartment. Pretty much got to commute everyday for free while in the Phoenix area with no stopping at superchargers because most our commutes were do-able with 100% round trip.

And how I got back to his apartment each night? I had my E-scooter in the trunk so I just use that to commute 1 mile from the apartment to the free chargepoint. So it was super self sufficient, no need to use his gas car or an uber to try get back to his apartment.

I also plan to do this while in Las Vegas, there are alot of free charging options there and I have gotten by getting a free charge the entire trip.

I did go to the Oakley outlet store once though so I guess having that free charging got me to spend some money. Plus I bought food at that Carls Jr. So even though I didn't intend to spend money at the mall, I still did spend money anyways.

I never saw another EV car there charging overnight, so it seems no one is really that interested in taking advantage of free charging at night. But if a gas station has free gas or insanely cheap prices by mistake (which has happened), hoards of people will start showing up until the gas station realizes their mistake. I never seen a shopping center give away free gas or have discounted gas stations to draw in customers. Maybe Costco does though, they give a slight discount on gas and they always got super long lines during prime driving hours.

However, level 2 charging is slow and doesn't really do much if its going to be 0-2 hours. I don't think anyone will force themselves to stay 6+ hours just to charge for free. But if there is free charging near a Dave and Busters, I can be there for 6+ hours because I'm an advantage player so I can actually get a decent charge. The only Dave and Busters I know that have free EV charging are San Diego, Northridge, Long Beach, and Las Vegas. So I get to profit from Dave and Busters and get a free charge. My other AP friend can't do that, he drives a Honda Civic and I'm always the one that ends up driving so he will win me tickets on my card at a profit. Or help me sell some my big prizes (by paying me and sell it later).

Really? I know someone who used to use another company's Chargepoint stalls. They found a way to block his car.
No, they didn't block his car, they blocked his account*. That's because those EVSEs require an account that's been approved by the owner of the EVSEs. This is not the case with public EVSEs, which are open to all accounts.

*If he knows anyone who works at that company or steals their account credentials, he'd be able to charge. The authentication is to the account, not the car. Cars have absolutely no way of sending any identifying information to the EVSE. The J1772 protocol does not allow it.

I would rather charging stations implemented an increasing price curve. Say 20 cents/kWh for the first 2 hours, 30 for the next 2, 40 for the next 2, etc. This way, after several hours these stations become more expensive than DCFC. If someone really needs to charge, they can pay the high prices. If they don't, there are cheaper alternatives.
Why not unplug and replug after waiting a few minutes?

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Cars do not uniquely authenticate to the EVSE, so people will just create multiple accounts and use them consecutively. Just charge the market rate for energy and charge for idle time. You can't game that system.

I agree nominal/market rate for energy is the way to go. and putting the stations far away from the store. (less likely to get ICE'd/ dinged etc) and I like the exercise

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Charge the market rate (or with a small markup) for charging with a time limit and implement idle fees for not moving when over time limit.

If an establishment wants to discount or waive the charging fee then they can do that if they want to use free charging as a perk to attract patrons. Like how people can get their parking validated.

Would need some type of pay system where retailers/restaurants can issue validation cards or can remotely access the charging station to waive the fee though.

Reactions: RTPEV
I agree nominal/market rate for energy is the way to go. and putting the stations far away from the store. (less likely to get ICE'd/ dinged etc) and I like the exercise
Man there’s a Tesla charging station in north ridge California. Worst location ever. It sits a small and busy parking lot. And it’s in the middle of three anchor stores. It always shows many available spots on the Tesla map but 2/3 are iced. Just useless location. What were they thinking.

Man there’s a Tesla charging station in north ridge California. Worst location ever. It sits a small and busy parking lot. And it’s in the middle of three anchor stores. It always shows many available spots on the Tesla map but 2/3 are iced. Just useless location. What were they thinking.
People in EVs should just box them in. Although it's probably better to box in the really nice cars. The drivers of the old, beat up ones will probably just push other cars out of the way. Still, getting boxed in because you decided to be a jerk and take up a charging stall is a pretty good motivation to not do it in the future.

Mmmm, vigilante justice. That'll end well ...

But on topic, businesses offering L2 or even DCFC could have the user's account credited based on a sale in the business during the vehicle charging time.

For example, a grocery store could charge $0.45/kwh but if you buy $100 worth of groceries and use the same credit card or your "membership card" they knock it down to $0.10/kwh, or even free.

It is advantageous to offer free ev charging as generally the driver will then be onsite for 30mins to 4 hours so will no doubt spend money. A petrol driver could take the free gas and then 2 minutes later take their business down the road.

We have a gas station that offer free ev charging for that reason. They make the $ inside