Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Why Suma Convex Side Mirrors Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SumaPerformance

Global Vendor
Jul 10, 2019
Seattle
Listings
Hi folks, we are the company that first introduced convex mirrors to the Tesla community.

Blue convex mirrors are quite popular with JDM cars as you might know. But the traditional method of making these mirrors has a big issue, the coating doesn't last such that the blue hue eventually fades or peels off.

Suma mirrors solves this issue by using nanotechnology method, the same one used on our ceramic coating, to create permanent bond such that it doesn't fade or bubble up like other brands. When we realized there is this need with Tesla cars, we brought this technology to the community.

Here, we did a stress test to show you what we mean.

The
When do you expect the blue Model Y side mirrors back in stock? They've been out of stock for quite some time from what I can tell...
The non-blue are in stock. The blue ones will be in stock by late July. We apologize for the delay. Certain parts have been hard to procure during this time. Please sign up for email notification at the product page (LINK) if you haven't, thanks.

Customer's review (LINK).

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.54.43 PM.png

Hi folks, we are the company that first introduced convex mirrors to the Tesla community.

Blue convex mirrors are quite popular with JDM cars as you might know. But the traditional method of making these mirrors has a big issue, the coating doesn't last such that the blue hue eventually fades or peels off.

Suma mirrors solves this issue by using nanotechnology method, the same one used on our ceramic coating, to create permanent bond such that it doesn't fade or bubble up like other brands. When we realized there is this need with Tesla cars, we brought this technology to the community.

What's the advantage of having blue mirrors?

Question. On the side mirror page for the Model 3, you have options for defroster and turn signal. Will this really add defroster and the turn signal light and it's just plug and play? Take out old and replace with your mirrors without running wires?

Reactions: SumaPerformance
Question. On the side mirror page for the Model 3, you have options for defroster and turn signal. Will this really add defroster and the turn signal light and it's just plug and play? Take out old and replace with your mirrors without running wires?
For defroster, it's plug and play. I think all Model 3 have defroster right? But for the turn signal, you'll need to run wires to make the turn signal work.

Hi, I just ordered and received these. The installation looks a little scary, I am worried I could break something sticking a screwdriver in there like that and then I would be stuck with a very expensive repair.

Any thoughts or comments? Do you think there’s a good likelihood of breaking something if I am careful?

Hi, I just ordered and received these. The installation looks a little scary, I am worried I could break something sticking a screwdriver in there like that and then I would be stuck with a very expensive repair.

Any thoughts or comments? Do you think there’s a good likelihood of breaking something if I am careful?
The side mirrors are very easy to remove and install. I was scared like you at first, but after doing the first side it is safer than it appears. The backing behind the mirror is thick and won't bend when you pry it off as long as you are careful.

I didn't use a screwdriver to avoid prying against the mirror housing; instead, take a microfiber and hold it up against the front of the mirror then pull the top of it back with both hands. To put it back on after wiring, put the microfiber against the front and then push around in a circle to get all the clips connected.

The wiring for the blinkers on the other hand requires a TON of work. I left that project for a future rainy day.

Hi everyone.
I want to give a little feedback on these.
The blue tint works well, much less nighttime headlight glare.
However, for me at least, the wide angle mirror on the left side is literally dangerous. It's impossible to tell at freeway speeds how far a car is behind you as you look to change lanes. After several sketchy experiences, I've taken out the new mirror and put back the original. Much better. Why this has never come up before is frankly strange, but for anyone looking to buy them, make sure you can try them and return them if you don't like them.
For me, I'd like to buy one with the blue tint that doesn't have the wide angel view. I should check if they have that...

Hi. Maybe I’m used to the convex mirrors on both sides after living/driving in Japan. Convex on both sides is the standard there. I found the adjustment to be easy and quick. It’s really the same visual whether adjusting to “vehicles are closer than they appear” on the driver’s side or the other. Unsure why this appears difficult - a little practice, experience is all that’s actually needed.

Hi. Maybe I’m used to the convex mirrors on both sides after living/driving in Japan. Convex on both sides is the standard there. I found the adjustment to be easy and quick. It’s really the same visual whether adjusting to “vehicles are closer than they appear” on the driver’s side or the other. Unsure why this appears difficult - a little practice, experience is all that’s actually needed.
Well, I disagree, and wanted to have that out there for other folks to consider as a courtesy. YMMV as they say.

Just curious, I assume you adjusted to the distortion of the passenger side convex door mirror that all cars have had for over 20 years - “Vehicles are closer than they appear” . You could become used to and use that one normally, is that right? Assuming correct, simply not understanding what’s problematic for you on the driver’s side?

Reactions: XPsionic