TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why summon feature not available of AP2 cars?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bakchod87, Feb 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bakchod87

bakchod87 Member

I picked up mine (AP2.0) this weekend. While I like the TACC, not having the ability to auto steer over 35MPH is a bummer. It appears that Tesla is starting over with the EAP. I'll wait whenever it is enabled for higher speeds.

Now does anyone know WHY is the summon feature not available on AP2 cars yet? I called service and they said it's in the works ...

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

They probably have lots of projects and limited resources. They have to prioritize, and getting AP to work is probably higher on the list than Summon, For me, Summon is cool for impressing other people, but not real useful. It might be good for a perpendicular parking situation where there wasn't enough room to open the door to the car, but I just don't park my car where that might be necessary.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I used to use summon twice a day (to/from tight home garage). I miss it more any other feature of AP1. YMMV.

• Like x 2
  4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

One of my garages is too unlevel to use going in, but I do occasionally use it coming out. No way to coordinate with Homeink to close the garage door, since the car only gets halfway out before stopping.

My other house has a carport with a dirt floor. I do use Summon occasionally when I have just vacuumed and don't want to track dirt into the car.

But still only a couple of times month. It WOULD be cool to be able to have it all set up to open the door and go in and out of the garage. Too much work and expense to level the driveway.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My AP1 car worked perfectly with auto open/close of the garage door. Again, YMMV.

Yah, Mercury did this flawlessly. I miss it daily.

• Like x 1
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I'm not sure I'd have the guts to try it. So how many times did you run through it before you trusted it, standing by the garage door to stop it if it came down too soon?

7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Doesn't your garage door closer have the safety laser beam where it won't let the door close if the beam is interrupted?

I have mine set up about 12" off the ground so if any part of the car is in the way, the garage door will not close.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I tend to watch most of the time (OCD) but the main value for me is entry/exit of the vehicle to/from the garage without the doors having to open. "Human clearance for doors" is something my garage could use more of at the moment.

• Like x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Height above 6" won't pass an inspection. Do what you want -- I usually try to avoid anything that can be a safety issue.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I really wish they would allow multiple beams. But the protocol the sensor uses doesn't allow it.

11. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

I don't get random inspections at my house. :p

6" seems a bit excessive. But then again we don't have any kids to worry about.

• Like x 1
  12. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

I use Summon while driving across the city.
    I stand outside my car on the shoulder of the freeway and walk with it on the freeway!
    LOL!

• Funny x 1
  13. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I was referring to a professional Buyer's Home Inspection when selling. Yes, I wouldn't worry about it either, but some people should.

14. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

What a great idea! Get behind it and act like you are pushing it.

• Funny x 1
  15. Hdog

Hdog New Member

I Have a six week old P100d for which I paid top dollar and ticked every box for extras. None of the following are working AP over 50 mph,(and that's only on motorways) Summon, rain sensitive wipers, auto high / low beam headlights and the garage tell me I have to wait for a software download which will come "soon" (they have been saying that for six weeks!)
    Is everyone suffering this? I feel as though I dont have what I paid for! All the best toys are missing.

16. croman

croman Active Member

Yes it sucks. There are many threads where we wish for the features I was told would be present at end of 2016. Read those threads, you can't miss them.

17. hill

hill Member

only waiting 6weeks? Well, I'll see your 6 weeks, & raise you an additional 1½ months. Thats right - waiting 3 months. But i can still cry ya a river, if you cry one for us. No one said life is fair.

• Disagree x 1
  18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Not a good way to welcome a new TMC member.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Welcome! (I see you have 1 post.)

AP2 will take some time. Hopefully our patience will be rewarded before 2018. :)

20. Tangible

Tangible Member

I'm currently in flight on a JetBlue plane where I paid for and have gotten extra legroom. I'm trying to imagine them telling me that they had hoped to provide the extra legroom, but were busy with other projects, and then had a fight with the company that makes the seats, so they decided to keep my extra fare and roll out the improved seats in the future when they feel comfortable doing so.

If that sounds crazy, why hasn't Tesla refunded our payments for EAP?