Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla dont want us to purchase their cars? What we are doing wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will not ship a used vehicle to a delivery center, just to let a prospective buyer take a look.

They need to have a firm order, with deposit, prior to shipping.

In some states, where Tesla does not have right to sell, you need to pay for your new or used car fully prior to shipment.

Alternative is to learn where your car is located, and travel there to take a look. Even then, they will want you to make a firm comittment prior to preping the car for delivery.
There is a problem with not being able to see cars before deciding.

I am not a tyre / tire kicker. I resent in having 12k tied up just to be able to get to see photos of 3 cars I might want to buy.

Combine that with being unable to talk to anyone who knows the product, and you are really swimming against the current just to look at what's on offer.

Sure, take a $100 (or $1000 if it makes any difference) as a kind of indication of serious intention to buy, but make it easier to actually see the cars. Yes, having some central locations where you can travel to is far better than nothing.

I think there's a really big difference between:
I'm really not sure if I really want one of these and I'm kicking the tires and will take lots of somebody's time before deciding
And
I want to buy a 75/85D. I have the money but I really want to at least see a real picture before putting down a $2k deposit. I sure as hell want to see it in person before spending $40k - $50k on a used vehicle. Maybe some details like, was it smoked in? Is it full of dog hair and french fries? Was any maintenance done to it? Any recalls?

You get none of that information from them. You don't have to buy the car if you don't like it or something's wrong, but you don't always get to transfer the deposit to another car.
Agree totally!

Understand the frustration, however at this time the world wide demand for their cars is far greater than the available supply.

They set up their used inventory to be viewed on the internet. People wanting to buy used are encouraged to place their orders there.

They also have used sales staff that will assist a buyer in finding a specific configuration, but they are not equipped to physically l show interested parties around lots of cars.

If you simply must lay hands on a car, sit in it and perhaps take it for a test drive, you will need to deal with private parties or wholesalers like Carmax/Carvana.

Tesla's main goal is to sell new production in the most efficient way possible. They are not set up to do touchy feely used cars very well.

On the other hand, well priced used Tesla on their site usually sell quickly.

Another guy, wanting to look around at a Tesla storage lot, was asked to leave. They do not allow people to poke around the used, or inventory new cars.

Yes.
That's exactly what I said, that I was kicked off a lot trying to poke around.
Great reading skills.

Best of luck Vegas.
They are amazing cars. I hope you find a great deal and it's all worth it in the end!

but they are not equipped to physically l show interested parties around lots of cars.

They surely aren't, and neither are most dealerships, but to make it so difficult to even get pictures! Come on.

And then once you have pictures, have an option to pay to see the car or travel to the car at your own cost. That will certainly sift out any tire kickers.

I noticed that too. Before you had to be emailed the pictures (they also told you where the cars were located). Then they sort of phased that out and the pictures were part of the listing. Now many are stock photos. We are buying something used and yet we cannot even see the actual car till we go to pick up and then if it is not acceptable have to cancel the order and start over?

If you can find a used car on EV-CPO, you can click on the link for "Color" which will take you to the page of photos --most have actual photos posted.

upload_2019-11-8_17-59-35.png

Worst experience ever. I signed up for this forum, just to complain about this experience. I previously bought a new M3 for my wife and the process was seamless. Rep drove a car out to my house on he weekend to let my wife try it out and everything. If you're getting a new car, no problems. Now.....I'm trying to get a used S for myself..... terrible. The car I picked out said clean history, Carfax says 2 accidents (one was a tow). Used care associate emails me standard BS emails, but won't respond to mine. Won't tell me if there are cars in my area, won't respond to my questions about the Carfax, won't return a phone call. He did turn his out of office on after I sent an email saying cancel my order. Terrible, terrible service. I got in contact with a local (Rockville, MD) rep who allegedly sent a blast email to the entire used car department... no response. I'm not putting up with this crap. If you don't want my $50k fine. I like the cars and want to help with not polluting the planet, but I'm not a fanboy and I've already done my part to save the earth with one of these things. It really shouldn't be that hard.

Worst experience ever. I signed up for this forum, just to complain about this experience. I previously bought a new M3 for my wife and the process was seamless. Rep drove a car out to my house on he weekend to let my wife try it out and everything. If you're getting a new car, no problems. Now.....I'm trying to get a used S for myself..... terrible. The car I picked out said clean history, Carfax says 2 accidents (one was a tow). Used care associate emails me standard BS emails, but won't respond to mine. Won't tell me if there are cars in my area, won't respond to my questions about the Carfax, won't return a phone call. He did turn his out of office on after I sent an email saying cancel my order. Terrible, terrible service. I got in contact with a local (Rockville, MD) rep who allegedly sent a blast email to the entire used car department... no response. I'm not putting up with this crap. If you don't want my $50k fine. I like the cars and want to help with not polluting the planet, but I'm not a fanboy and I've already done my part to save the earth with one of these things. It really shouldn't be that hard.

Well this is something new.

So description says car is "clean" and Carfax says 2 accidents?
Wow. Is this even legal?
I mean selling their car as clean knowing it was previously in accident?

I do not know why people put so much trust in Carfax, they do not know much about your car other than what was reported and if they don't have info they just make it up. My AAA insurance on one of my Mercedes SUV was increased by 800.00 last year and when I called and asked, they told us that we drove more miles than we told them. AAA told us that according to Carfax we have over 65K miles on our car even though we actually have less than 34K miles on our car, we put less than 5K a year since we rotated around 3 cars. I had to take a photo of my dash showing mileage as well as service record from the Mercedes dealer to show that Carfax is wrong and I am right.

I received many pictures, its just the communication. I purposely did not contact my delivery advisor for 2 weeks just to see what would happen. There response was, "During inspection it was found the vehicle needed new brake pads, and a couple smaller items that were not explained to me yet!"

So the car was shipped to my local SC and that all that has happened for 2 weeks at the SC I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the car at this point