Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla Is a Great Brand: Like Apple, It Changed Perception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...rmind_jumps_ship_from_microsoft_to_tesla.html

It's arguable, in many ways, that Tesla's vision mirrors that of Apple's. The Silicon Valley-based designer and manufacturer of highway-capable electric automobiles prides itself on energy efficiency, environmental responsibility and striking industrial designs. It's hoping to shake things up in the automotive industry in a manner similar to the way Apple altered the landscape for modern computing.

I also think that the "Stores", which are under total control by Tesla, are an excellent idea because it allows Tesla to extensively monitor it's expansion.

It also allows them to control how the stores look and feel so they have some sort of familiarity (in look, feel, etc.) no matter what store you visit.

I also think that the "Stores", which are under total control by Tesla, are an excellent idea because it allows Tesla to extensively monitor it's expansion.

It also allows them to control how the stores look and feel so they have some sort of familiarity (in look, feel, etc.) no matter what store you visit.

And to expand on this, Tesla owned stores eliminate the traditional dealer as a middleman which should allow a better margin for the company and at the same time remain competitive in pricing until economy of scale begins to work in their favor.

I'm not sure about the article's premise. Has Tesla really changed the public's perception of EVs? Is Tesla now the "smoking hot brand" in electric cars?

Among some segment of the population, yes. Among readers of AutoblogGreen, for sure. A fair number of gearheads have got the message, and a fair number of well-read people interested in green transportation issues have got the message, and I daresay even many people in the automotive industry (including bigwigs at GM and Toyota) have got the message.

Among the general public, though. . . . . The goofy-looking, 100% gasoline-powered, half-assed "hybrid" Prius is still all they know. That and golf carts.

If you ask most people about an electric car, the first company that comes to mind is going to be Toyota, and the second will be Honda -- the latter being particularly ironic, since Honda has pooh-poohed the whole idea of EVs and struggled to even come up with a quasi-hybrid car competitive against the Prius.

Among the general public, though. . . . . The goofy-looking, 100% gasoline-powered, half-assed "hybrid" Prius is still all they know. That and golf carts.

I've got the first Tesla to roam the streets of my town. Quite a lot of people have come up to me to ask about the car.

Roughly 30% already know exactly what it is, and maybe another 10% say "Tesla? No way!!!" when I tell them what it is. Not bad for a car no one here has actually seen!

Surprisingly, only two people thought it was a Lotus. Apparently most car enthusiasts have heard of Tesla.

Of the remaining 60%, half are utterly astonished when I tell them it's electric. Some will ask if it just "looks fast", and almost everyone asks how far it can go. They're usually pretty surprised when I tell them what it can do.

Sure, there's some ways to go until everyone understands that electric cars really are practical vehicles, but I'd say that Tesla has made huge strides in changing the public's perceptions.

You should offer those inquisitive folks a ride around the block and demonstrate what a constant torque curve feels like...

Who knows...it could sell another Roadster!

That's the key. I had an unexpected, lucky ride in a Roadster once, and within 2 months I reserved a Model S (P691). Take them for a ride, and all but the hardest-nosed nay-sayers will drool.

You should offer those inquisitive folks a ride around the block and demonstrate what a constant torque curve feels like...

Who knows...it could sell another Roadster!

I do. I've had the Roadster two weeks now, and I've already taken well over two dozen people for spins - friends, neighbors, coworkers, and acquaintances. Responses to the torque curve include "wow" (50%), "holy s***" (25%), etc. The most reserved person so far said "oh dear", and that was strong language for her. :tongue:

A couple of them have made noises about the Model S. We'll see.

I agree with others.
While very few of the public has had a chance to ride in one, more and more do each week.
I already have a list of people that want rides and don't yet have ours.
But there are a lot more people that have heard/read/watched stories about the Tesla. And with every new sale 10,20 or more people get first hand experience.
And many many more get second hand information.
I am not sure where the critical level is, but every new Roadster owner help chip away at the general populace's misconceptions.

Thank you all!