Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla put a 2 spoke steering wheel in the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dad had a 1981 Mazda 323 with 2 spoke steering wheel, then my ex-gf's Mini Cooper had one, then those silly Smart cars also had this design. Not sure why it never looks appealing compare to 3 spoke steering wheels. I am sure the models mentioned above changed to 3 spoke steering wheels in later model.

The model S and X steering wheels definitely looks sick, which match perfectly with the Tesla logo in the center. I wish Elon Musk's team should reconsider putting the 3 spoke steering wheel in the product model.

IMG_1190-300x200.jpg

The steering wheel shown in the Model 3 is not the production version. That will be revealed in "part 2" and "look like a spaceship" per Elon's tweets. [My bold.]

GSP
I’m all for trying to become a space faring species (even though I wonder if humans actually do have the intellectual capacity necessary to pull that off…)

Anyways…

Elon seemingly brainwashed himself thoroughly while growing up into developing a Serious fetish for all things that can escape Earth's gravity (read: Spaceships).

Is this a good thing?

When it comes to aesthetics for a car – IMO – it’s starting to look like Elon’s space fetish isn’t helping.

A car is a car.

A car is not a spaceship.

I want a good looking car.

I do not want something that doesn’t look like a good looking car.

And IMO, the two-spoke steering wheel in the Model 3 concept is unfortunately not a good looking steering wheel.

Full disclosure: I have a Model 3 reservation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big-T and AMPd
I hope this part 2 reveal occurs soon before we lose our minds.
I’m all for trying to become a space faring species (even though I wonder if humans actually do have the intellectual capacity necessary to pull that off…)

Anyways…

Elon seemingly brainwashed himself thoroughly while growing up into developing a Serious fetish for all things that can escape Earths gravity (read: Spaceships).

Is this a good thing?

When it comes to aesthetics for a car – IMO – it’s starting to look like Elon’s space fetish isn’t helping.

A car is a car.

And IMO, the two-spoke steering wheel in the Model 3 concept is unfortunately not a good looking steering wheel.

Me too and I agree about this is a car not a spaceship, but I hope the part 2 reveal occurs soon before we lose our minds.

Reactions: Big-T

Anyways…

Elon seemingly brainwashed himself thoroughly while growing up into developing a Serious fetish for all things that can escape Earth's gravity (read: Spaceships).

Is this a good thing?

A car is a car.

+1

I just want a normal looking steering wheel.. I guess we won't find out what we get until part 2 of the reveal.

Reactions: Big-T
Possibly Tesla didn't want to reveal the the steering wheel from the Model X prototype is slated for production. Could place the speed in one of the screens.
View attachment 173820

Cool concept but I think I would prefer buttons over touch activated.. Arent buttons more reliable than touch screens?
other than it being an electric car and center console, i want as many parts of the car as close to traditional cars. I want the car to be reliable unless the feature/options offer convenience