Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla release wrong width with dimension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I was seriously looking into the 3's width 82.2” (76.1” with mirrors folded), that must something wrong...
I made a compare, there's about 4 percentage less then S, It's exactly the same with 72.8" before delivery release update.
So what's going on Tesla??

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
Hey guys,
I was seriously looking into the 3's width 82.2” (76.1” with mirrors folded), that must something wrong...
I made a compare, there's about 4 percentage less then S, It's exactly the same with 72.8" before delivery release update.

You can't compare the car directly ahead of you with a car off to the side. There will be distortion. If the picture was taken standing right between the two cars it would be interesting.

Sure, but if you are taking the picture directly between the cars you would expect them to be distorted in a mirror image fashion, making it easier to compare them. This picture is useless for comparison.
Still worthless because of how cars are shaped (cars are not flat surfaces so there is perspective distortion), and especially because they are not the same length and wheelbase (so can't even match depth there).

I have been struggling to understand why width of Model 3 (with mirrors folded ) is
only a inch shorter than Model S, while track of 3 is about 5" shorter. If the width is 72.8" as originally reported, it makes perfect sense.

Something must be wrong.

Hey guys,
I have been struggling to understand why width of Model 3 (with mirrors folded ) is
only a inch shorter than Model S, while track of 3 is about 5" shorter. If the width is 72.8" as originally reported, it makes perfect sense.

Something must be wrong.
Here is what I think is going on with regards to width.

72.8" = width of 3 with NO mirrors (this is the way width is measured for most cars)
~77.5" = MS (this is my best guess by extrapolating a comparison of rear track)

76.1" = width with mirrors folded (Model 3 mirror bracket is designed differently than Model S and sticks out further)
77.3" = MS

82.2" = width with mirrors deployed
86.2" = MS

Here is what I think is going on with regards to width.

72.8" = width of 3 with NO mirrors (this is the way width is measured for most cars)
~77.5" = MS (this is my best guess by extrapolating a comparison of rear track)

76.1" = width with mirrors folded (Model 3 mirror bracket is designed differently than Model S and sticks out further)
77.3" = MS

82.2" = width with mirrors deployed
86.2" = MS

The Model 3 mirror bracket doesn't look any different from the Model S one to me.