Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla release wrong width with dimension?

wallaceT

Jun 13, 2017
taiwan
Hey guys,
I was seriously looking into the 3's width 82.2” (76.1” with mirrors folded), that must something wrong...
I made a compare, there's about 4 percentage less then S, It's exactly the same with 72.8" before delivery release update.
So what's going on Tesla??

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Funny
Reactions: dragonxt

gregincal

Oct 26, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey guys,
I was seriously looking into the 3's width 82.2” (76.1” with mirrors folded), that must something wrong...
I made a compare, there's about 4 percentage less then S, It's exactly the same with 72.8" before delivery release update.

You can't compare the car directly ahead of you with a car off to the side. There will be distortion. If the picture was taken standing right between the two cars it would be interesting.

dragonxt

Oct 26, 2016
Bay Area
You can't compare the car directly ahead of you with a car off to the side. There will be distortion. If the picture was taken standing right between the two cars it would be interesting.
Even when standing exactly in front of two cars, there will still be distortion. Depending on the lens / type of lens used.

Reactions: JeffK

gregincal

Oct 26, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Even when standing exactly in front of two cars, there will still be distortion. Depending on the lens / type of lens used.

Sure, but if you are taking the picture directly between the cars you would expect them to be distorted in a mirror image fashion, making it easier to compare them. This picture is useless for comparison.

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Sure, but if you are taking the picture directly between the cars you would expect them to be distorted in a mirror image fashion, making it easier to compare them. This picture is useless for comparison.
Still worthless because of how cars are shaped (cars are not flat surfaces so there is perspective distortion), and especially because they are not the same length and wheelbase (so can't even match depth there).

BtSandy

Mar 25, 2016
Tokyo
I have been struggling to understand why width of Model 3 (with mirrors folded ) is
only a inch shorter than Model S, while track of 3 is about 5" shorter. If the width is 72.8" as originally reported, it makes perfect sense.

Something must be wrong.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Still worthless because of how cars are shaped (cars are not flat surfaces so there is perspective distortion), and especially because they are not the same length and wheelbase (so can't even match depth there).
Let's not forget that they're not parked parallel to each other, which adds another small calculation error to the mix.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
Hey guys,
I have been struggling to understand why width of Model 3 (with mirrors folded ) is
only a inch shorter than Model S, while track of 3 is about 5" shorter. If the width is 72.8" as originally reported, it makes perfect sense.

Something must be wrong.
Here is what I think is going on with regards to width.

72.8" = width of 3 with NO mirrors (this is the way width is measured for most cars)
~77.5" = MS (this is my best guess by extrapolating a comparison of rear track)

76.1" = width with mirrors folded (Model 3 mirror bracket is designed differently than Model S and sticks out further)
77.3" = MS

82.2" = width with mirrors deployed
86.2" = MS

gregincal

Oct 26, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Here is what I think is going on with regards to width.

72.8" = width of 3 with NO mirrors (this is the way width is measured for most cars)
~77.5" = MS (this is my best guess by extrapolating a comparison of rear track)

76.1" = width with mirrors folded (Model 3 mirror bracket is designed differently than Model S and sticks out further)
77.3" = MS

82.2" = width with mirrors deployed
86.2" = MS

The Model 3 mirror bracket doesn't look any different from the Model S one to me.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC