Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla Will Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why Tesla will fail -- not this year, not next year, but in a few years. It's just one story, but unfortunately it's representative.

Mid-december, the latch fails shut on my rear right door. I call up the service center I've been using to tell them that the latch is stuck shut (can't be opened from the inside or outside). They tell me that top management at Tesla (aka idiots) have told them they can't service my area any more and that I have to be directed to the "New York Mobile Service Team".

Now, there's no upstate NY service center. This is because Tesla top management (aka idiots) have *chosen* not to build one. It is legal for them to build one -- there is a limit on the number of stores, but no limit on the number of service centers. They are lying about this to their technicians, incidentally.

So, the service center I've been using refuses to make an appointment and says the NY mobile service team will call me. They refuse to give me the phone number for the NY mobile service team. They say they'll report my problem and order the part to be delivered to the NY mobile service team. I emphasize that it's the *latch*.

The NY mobile service team doesn't call me back after several weeks. I call the service center again and yell at them. This time I manage to get a phone number for the NY mobile service team. I call them. They say "our computer system says we tried to call you". They never tried to call me -- their computer system is lying. They say the parts came in a week ago (but they never bothered to call me....) I tell them *again* (since it's different people) that the problem is that the *latch* is stuck and ask them to make sure they have ordered the parts for the latch. "Omar" assures me that they have the parts for the latch. At this point, about four weeks after I first called, I am finally able to make an appointment. There is then a further delay because my schedule doesn't allow for an appointment in the next week (but would have in the earlier weeks which Tesla wasted).

Come today, the service tech shows up. He doesn't have the parts for the latch, because nobody ever wrote down that they were supposed to get the parts for the latch. Complete waste of time. I yell at the NY mobile service team guy (Omar), who lied to me, who now claims that the order regarding the stuck latch was never entered in his computer. I ask and he won't give me his manager's number. Or the number of the idiot in top management who ordered that we get all our mobile service through this idiot division. He says he'll talk to his manager -- we'll see.

This is par for the course with Tesla service. I have been dealing with this crap for five years, and it gets worse and worse every time. Meanwhile, the software team breaks basic functionality in updates (such as USB music playback).

This is going to kill the company. Not now, but as soon as there are other decent electric cars on the market -- ones where you can go to *independent service shops*.

They've had five years to fix this sort of crap and they've only made it worse. My advice to investors at this point is to hold on now, but dump the stock before 2020 if they don't fix the chronic and ever-worsening service problems.

It's not the bottom-line technicians. They're all fine. It's top management failure. There's no internal communications: information does not get passed from one person to another, and any one person who screws up the information ruins everything. The only way to get good service is to talk directly to the service tech who is going to do the work on your car. The only way to get a software bug fixed is to find the programmer who is responsible for fixing it. And Tesla does their best to *prevent* you from talking to the people you need to talk to.
I haven’t had your level of problems, but for the problems I did have, I ran into what I deemed to be the tip of the iceberg of which you described. Luckily, my build didn’t have a great deal of problems, and I was able to have a mostly drama free experience with my Tesla before I sold it for financial reasons.

I have had great service from the Dallas SC for my five years/100K miles plus of ownership. There's no company that gets it 100% right all of the time, and sometimes even the best companies have bad screw-ups.

Door handles are filed under one of the reasons why I’ve shied away from buying a used Model S instead of waiting for my Model 3. Self presenting door handles are cool, but it’s the same reason why manual windows last longer than automatic.....

And when it comes to repairs, door handles are expensive to fix from a labor point of view, even if the parts are cheap.

I re-iterate that Tesla needs a “service portal” to log your own service tickets, and that someone in HQ monitors aging tickets, just like with a well run helpdesk. It helps you identify problem spots and resolve them.

DETAILS MATTER many companys' frustrate their consumers' because they overlook Details. eg Watched someone struggling with trying to remove a Model S or Model X remote from its tomb. Sure it was a handsome box containing a handsome remote -- but if you're not able to get the darn thing out without severely marring it - then the excitement of the much larger product rapidly turns into frustration and anger. Vid was posted on YouTube. Now, I don't want a damaged new remote nor be in search of a very thin strong smooth piece of 'whatever' just because the owner of a company always has 'someone' else do all of his mundane tasks and who too is frustrated because he dare not say a word as Mr. Musk has an Awful temper... Now, a REAL man closes his own door when he gets out of his car, billionaire or not, and would have tested the entire buying process (undercover) just to see what in heck is really going on....Instead? musk is more interested in THUD... Very sorry I bought his stock and loaned him my money but glad I'll Never own anything even 'remotely' connected to him again as he's still the same little spoiled boy that he was as a child. Tariff or not, a Benz is beginning to look p r e t t y nice to me. And Anyone who lives in beautiful sunny California is clueless about the planet Mars where it only gets up to 68° degrees, at the equator, in mid summer, for one stinking hour -- otherwise, it's average temp is always minus something or other. Even a 10 yo has Better reasoning than he. Yes.

DETAILS MATTER many companys' frustrate their consumers' because they overlook Details. eg Watched someone struggling with trying to remove a Model S or Model X remote from its tomb. Sure it was a handsome box containing a handsome remote -- but if you're not able to get the darn thing out without severely marring it - then the excitement of the much larger product rapidly turns into frustration and anger. Vid was posted on YouTube. Now, I don't want a damaged new remote nor be in search of a very thin strong smooth piece of 'whatever' just because the owner of a company always has 'someone' else do all of his mundane tasks and who too is frustrated because he dare not say a word as Mr. Musk has an Awful temper... Now, a REAL man closes his own door when he gets out of his car, billionaire or not, and would have tested the entire buying process (undercover) just to see what in heck is really going on....Instead? musk is more interested in THUD... Very sorry I bought his stock and loaned him my money but glad I'll Never own anything even 'remotely' connected to him again as he's still the same little spoiled boy that he was as a child. Tariff or not, a Benz is beginning to look p r e t t y nice to me. And Anyone who lives in beautiful sunny California is clueless about the planet Mars where it only gets up to 68° degrees, at the equator, in mid summer, for one stinking hour -- otherwise, it's average temp is always minus something or other. Even a 10 yo has Better reasoning than he. Yes.
Trying to remove the remote from its tomb? Oh brother.

Get your Benz. None of us care.

I see a lot of Mercedes here in NOVA, they look really tiny in my rearview mirror and they all look the same from the Mercedes Civic "C" to the GL which always reminds me of a funeral hearse.
I agree. There is NOTHING impressive to me about a Mercedes......or Lexus.........or Porsche........compared to my awesome Model S. I love it! I don't see Teslas everywhere.....I love being different but being better too. Tesla has it all, all wrapped up in one. Technology, LOOKS, Tesla has it all and NO ONE else has it all. NO ONE. Plus you don't see 1000 people with a car that looks just like yours when you have a Tesla. 'Nuff said!:D

Lord of the flies, the idiots beating up the intelligent.
What do flies have to do with thuggery?

I heard someone else realized young something I only realized recently: that smart people create value and therefore power out of creating things, whereas very stupid people often only can create power out of destroying things. (Paradoxically, understanding this sometimes requires smarts: I think it is the difference in value between something before destroyed and after destroyed that gives it power, much like the positive and negative terminal of a battery.) Your comment and thuggery both remind me of that concept.

Also, I recently realized a lot of the various wars, invasions, and mindwashing going on between the people of countries on Earth today are all a lot of animal like behaviors. That reminds me also of thuggery.

I suppose this Fly Lord may have something to do with this, but it's a weird way of speaking you have.

Lord of the Flies is a great allegory of the world today. The only reason Tesla will fail is similar to the forces of savagery and civilization that exist in Lord of the Flies. We can continue to exploit the worlds resources or we can figure out how to use what we have efficiently. The savages are the short sellers, who manipulate information for personal benefit. On my island that would be fed to the sharks.

Lord of the Flies explores the dark side of humanity, the savagery that underlies even the most civilized human beings. William Golding intended this novel as a tragic parody of children's adventure tales, illustrating humankind's intrinsic evil nature. He presents the reader with a chronology of events leading a group of young boys from hope to disaster as they attempt to survive their uncivilized, unsupervised, isolated environment until rescued.

In the midst of a nuclear war, a group of British boys find themselves stranded without adult supervision on a tropical island. The group is roughly divided into the "littluns," boys around the age of six, and the "biguns," who are between the ages of ten and twelve. Initially, the boys attempt to form a culture similar to the one they left behind. They elect a leader, Ralph, who, with the advice and support of Piggy(the intellectual of the group), strives to establish rules for housing and sanitation. Ralph also makes a signal fire the group's first priority, hoping that a passing ship will see the smoke signal and rescue them. A major challenge to Ralph's leadership is Jack, who also wants to lead. Jack commands a group of choirboys-turned-hunters who sacrifice the duty of tending the fire so that they can participate in the hunts. Jack draws the other boys slowly away from Ralph's influence because of their natural attraction to and inclination toward the adventurous hunting activities symbolizing violence and evil.

The conflict between Jack and Ralph — and the forces of savagery and civilization that they represent — is exacerbated by the boys' literal fear of a mythical beast roaming the island. One night, an aerial battle occurs above the island, and a casualty of the battle floats down with his opened parachute, ultimately coming to rest on the mountaintop. Breezes occasionally inflate the parachute, making the body appear to sit up and then sink forward again. This sight panics the boys as they mistake the dead body for the beast they fear. In a reaction to this panic, Jack forms a splinter group that is eventually joined by all but a few of the boys. The boys who join Jack are enticed by the protection Jack's ferocity seems to provide, as well as by the prospect of playing the role of savages: putting on camouflaging face paint, hunting, and performing ritualistic tribal dances. Eventually, Jack's group actually slaughters a sow and, as an offering to the beast, puts the sow's head on a stick.

Of all the boys, only the mystic Simon has the courage to discover the true identity of the beast sighted on the mountain. After witnessing the death of the sow and the gift made of her head to the beast, Simon begins to hallucinate, and the staked sow's head becomes the Lord of the Flies, imparting to Simon what he has already suspected: The beast is not an animal on the loose but is hidden in each boy's psyche. Weakened by his horrific vision, Simon loses consciousness.

Recovering later that evening, he struggles to the mountaintop and finds that the beast is only a dead pilot/soldier. Attempting to bring the news to the other boys, he stumbles into the tribal frenzy of their dance. Perceiving him as the beast, the boys beat him to death.

Soon only three of the older boys, including Piggy, are still in Ralph's camp. Jack's group steals Piggy's glasses to start its cooking fires, leaving Ralph unable to maintain his signal fire. When Ralph and his small group approach Jack's tribe to request the return of the glasses, one of Jack's hunters releases a huge boulder on Piggy, killing him. The tribe captures the other two biguns prisoners, leaving Ralph on his own.

The tribe undertakes a manhunt to track down and kill Ralph, and they start a fire to smoke him out of one of his hiding places, creating an island-wide forest fire. A passing ship sees the smoke from the fire, and a British naval officer arrives on the beach just in time to save Ralph from certain death at the hands of the schoolboys turned savages.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/l/lord-of-the-flies/lord-of-the-flies-at-a-glance

Contrarian alert: Why Tesla won't fail.
Robin

This video has been going around a lot today, but I don't feel like it's very insightful about why Tesla won't fail. It mostly just goes over ways that companies spend and raise money, but kind of shrugs and says "Tesla has good ideas and investors and banks will keep giving them money". Sure, until they don't.

I think the video is more aimed at people who are confused how a company that loses lots of money can still be in business, but it doesn't have much of substance to say about the future.

Reactions: mattjs33
This video has been going around a lot today, but I don't feel like it's very insightful about why Tesla won't fail. It mostly just goes over ways that companies spend and raise money, but kind of shrugs and says "Tesla has good ideas and investors and banks will keep giving them money". Sure, until they don't.

I think the video is more aimed at people who are confused how a company that loses lots of money can still be in business, but it doesn't have much of substance to say about the future.

Agree, good video for a broader audience, but no new insight. Still nice to see.

I agree. There is NOTHING impressive to me about a Mercedes......or Lexus.........or Porsche........compared to my awesome Model S. I love it! I don't see Teslas everywhere.....I love being different but being better too. Tesla has it all, all wrapped up in one. Technology, LOOKS, Tesla has it all and NO ONE else has it all. NO ONE. Plus you don't see 1000 people with a car that looks just like yours when you have a Tesla. 'Nuff said!:D

I agree in that the Tesla is a great car and in NY I don't see too many. I disagree in that I love the new Panamera exterior and the interior is sooooo much nicer than my S. The new Jaguar, BMW etc.............. Some really good looking 2018 cars.