TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why Tesla Will Fail

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by neroden, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Off Shore

Off Shore Off Topic

TL;DR

• Love x 1
  2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

@Brando
    Or at least use QUOTE or SPOILER tags...

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

A link would have sufficed, and apparently you didn't read the original post of this thread which was about a specific reason why the poster thought Tesla would fail.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Well, it was quoted and the forum software does a great job of condensing huge posts when they are quoted so I'm not sure what the complaint is other than not directing the feedback straight at the offender.

5. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant to agreeing with/ supporting your post and directing toward brando. Apparently, I forgot to click like at the time.

6. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I forced Tesla to start complying with the licenses for its open source software; had to track down some copyright holders and give them enough evidence to threaten to sue, though. Shouldn't have required that.

I do still think the communications failures are the thing which is going to kill Tesla if they don't fix it, and *soon*. They've now created massive ill-will among long-time Model 3 reservation holders due to the delivery cluster****, as you can see over in the Model 3 delivery forum. (I think 7 cancelled-on-short-notice deliveries is the record.) They may slowly be realizing their problem...

...or maybe not. The massive breakage of the Model S software in the version 9 release is garnering non-stop anger from long-time customers including myself; but because of Tesla's totally broken communications, my next move is attempting to publish an open letter in the highest-readership locations I can find. Move after that is to sue them. All would be unnecessary if the company had the communications skills at the level of, say, an amateur theater group. They don't.

• Informative x 1
  7. SO16

SO16 Member

Well you did sound like a bear.

• Funny x 1
  8. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

When I saw how long it was I just moved on to the next comment :) I had to scroll for a minute and a half!

9. ThereAre4Cars

ThereAre4Cars Member

10. neroden

There is something interesting there, actually. They classified things into four tiers based on "automatability" and Musk told them to automate everything in tiers one through *three*. (NOT tier four.)

I would have said the same thing. Sounds to me like they misclassified. The stuff which failed should have been classified into tier four. That's not micromanagement at all...

• Like x 1
  11. Kichwas

Kichwas Member

#271 Kichwas, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    I had a dodge neon in the 1990s where half the paint came off, but the company survived.

There is a car on the market now that has a fragmentation grenade for a front driver airbag - if it goes off it will blast metal fragments into the driver and basically kill them...

There was a Toyota popular at the same time that would randomly kill it’s passengers by accelerating into things uncontrollably.

There used to be a Pinto that would explode into a fireball of death on any fender bender that hit low in the back...

Tesla’s service issues might be real. They probably are notable. But they are nothing compared to how bad the competition has mangled things...

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  12. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Dodge did not survive. It went bankrupt and the left over parts where sold by the creditors to Fiat. I'm pretty sure it was because of your experience with the neon.

• Funny x 3
  13. neroden

Sadly, I agree 110%.

I still have 1/3 of my personal wealth invested in Tesla (well, probably higher today -- TSLA's up and everything else is down!) because the would-be competition is so appallingly terrible.

As the joke goes, you don't have to run faster than the bear. Tesla doesn't have to be up to the standards customers want, they just have to be better than the other guys, who are terrible.
    http://wiki.c2.com/?IdontHaveToBeTheFastestJustFasterThanYou

I just wish they *would* live up to the standards customers want. :sigh: It leaves a *long-term* risk.

• Like x 3
  14. neroden

To remind people of the opening here... not this year, not next year, probably not the next five years... only when someone else gets off their duff and starts mass-producing EVs.

I really hope they get the communications straightened out before the Chinese EV manufacturers start exporting to the US.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

They're not going to get Tesla this far and lose it to lack of servicing.

• Like x 2
  16. neroden

I'm hoping so. Musk's tweet about adding service centers everywhere, not just in big cities, makes me optimistic.

I've seen companies fail over stupider things!

17. PaulJohn

PaulJohn Member

What kind of ridiculous thread is that? Mods, you there?

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  18. SPadival

SPadival Member

Thre
    Thread is fine. Maybe the title is a little extreme to get the attention it needs.

Neroden was pretty spot on about the internal communication/software apps used by Tesla. There have been at least one documented case (Model 3 Owners club youtube podcast) where delivery was held up because the system "lost" the most recent update made by the customer and reverted to earlier data. And only Tesla HQ in California could update the system while the dealership wrung their hands.

• Like x 2
  19. electracity

electracity Active Member

North American model 3 orders looks to be a bit smaller than ideal. I suspect Musk was service center post was dealing with why a great many interested people have not "pulled the trigger".

They seem to be doing well now with most buyers being very happy. If the drama of the last year subsides I expect many interested people will place an order.

• Like x 1