Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla Will Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neroden

Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan
Apr 25, 2011
Ithaca, NY, USA
This is why Tesla will fail -- not this year, not next year, but in a few years. It's just one story, but unfortunately it's representative.

Mid-december, the latch fails shut on my rear right door. I call up the service center I've been using to tell them that the latch is stuck shut (can't be opened from the inside or outside). They tell me that top management at Tesla (aka idiots) have told them they can't service my area any more and that I have to be directed to the "New York Mobile Service Team".

Now, there's no upstate NY service center. This is because Tesla top management (aka idiots) have *chosen* not to build one. It is legal for them to build one -- there is a limit on the number of stores, but no limit on the number of service centers. They are lying about this to their technicians, incidentally.

So, the service center I've been using refuses to make an appointment and says the NY mobile service team will call me. They refuse to give me the phone number for the NY mobile service team. They say they'll report my problem and order the part to be delivered to the NY mobile service team. I emphasize that it's the *latch*.

The NY mobile service team doesn't call me back after several weeks. I call the service center again and yell at them. This time I manage to get a phone number for the NY mobile service team. I call them. They say "our computer system says we tried to call you". They never tried to call me -- their computer system is lying. They say the parts came in a week ago (but they never bothered to call me....) I tell them *again* (since it's different people) that the problem is that the *latch* is stuck and ask them to make sure they have ordered the parts for the latch. "Omar" assures me that they have the parts for the latch. At this point, about four weeks after I first called, I am finally able to make an appointment. There is then a further delay because my schedule doesn't allow for an appointment in the next week (but would have in the earlier weeks which Tesla wasted).

Come today, the service tech shows up. He doesn't have the parts for the latch, because nobody ever wrote down that they were supposed to get the parts for the latch. Complete waste of time. I yell at the NY mobile service team guy (Omar), who lied to me, who now claims that the order regarding the stuck latch was never entered in his computer. I ask and he won't give me his manager's number. Or the number of the idiot in top management who ordered that we get all our mobile service through this idiot division. He says he'll talk to his manager -- we'll see.

This is par for the course with Tesla service. I have been dealing with this crap for five years, and it gets worse and worse every time. Meanwhile, the software team breaks basic functionality in updates (such as USB music playback).

This is going to kill the company. Not now, but as soon as there are other decent electric cars on the market -- ones where you can go to *independent service shops*.

They've had five years to fix this sort of crap and they've only made it worse. My advice to investors at this point is to hold on now, but dump the stock before 2020 if they don't fix the chronic and ever-worsening service problems.

It's not the bottom-line technicians. They're all fine. It's top management failure. There's no internal communications: information does not get passed from one person to another, and any one person who screws up the information ruins everything. The only way to get good service is to talk directly to the service tech who is going to do the work on your car. The only way to get a software bug fixed is to find the programmer who is responsible for fixing it. And Tesla does their best to *prevent* you from talking to the people you need to talk to.

Last edited:
Yep.

I was tolerant of this sort of stuff when Tesla was a new company. Five years later, it's gotten *worse*. The problem is 100% management (the bottom-end techs are all good). Elon undervalues middle management skills at his peril. If they can't fix their endemic communications problems in the service departments -- and it's gotten continuously worse over five years -- then opening up the service manuals to independent shops would ease the burden. But apparently they're also unwilling to do that for no-good-reason.

I'd buy an inferior electric car (with the minimum required range specs and thermal battery control, of course) just to avoid dealing with this *bullcrap*. Others will make that choice too.

FWIW, I have found the Ranger service in my area of Wisconsin to be outstanding. No complaints whatsoever. However, any time I have had to contact the service center in Chicago (Tesla isn't legally allowed in WI yet), I have been generally disappointed. Tesla is definitely not disrupting the industry in terms of their service quality there. But the Ranger service is the disruptor, and I have found it exceptional.

Well, I don't know much about Tesla as we don't own one, BUT, my advice would be to NEVER, NOT EVER, buy a General Motors product. Don't even get me started.

I had great service from General Motors! On my GMC2500, they replaced my entire diesel fuel system 3 times within the first year of ownership due to a leak - no questions asked!

Oh, wait...

You are describing problems that are typical of companies in monopoly positions. This is the opposite of an indication of a company about to fail. Nevertheless, if and when competition catches up, these issues shall be dealt with, each in its own due course. They just aren't priorities at the moment. It's like the US government, s*it has hit the fan, but so long as s*it is bigger than the fan, it (s*it) just flies on.

Sorry to hear that.

Let me tell you though, that service here in southern Germany works very well. Feldkirchen and Nuremberg Service centers are excellent. Communication is excellent. They tell you the truth (even if it is not what you would like to hear) and solve the issues presented to them. I have nothing but praise for them.

But I understand what you mean in the greater perspective. Tesla is growing so fast - they will get to improving their systems. If they don't, I agree, it will be the end. But I am sure they will correct it (let's say improve it) before 2020. For sure before a serious competitor even arrives. Tesla is not dumb.

*/ not as dumb as the Germans who test exhaust fumes on monkeys and people /*

This is why Tesla will fail -- not this year, not next year, but in a few years. It's just one story, but unfortunately it's representative.

Mid-december, the latch fails shut on my rear right door. I call up the service center I've been using to tell them that the latch is stuck shut (can't be opened from the inside or outside). They tell me that top management at Tesla (aka idiots) have told them they can't service my area any more and that I have to be directed to the "New York Mobile Service Team".

Now, there's no upstate NY service center. This is because Tesla top management (aka idiots) have *chosen* not to build one. It is legal for them to build one -- there is a limit on the number of stores, but no limit on the number of service centers. They are lying about this to their technicians, incidentally.

So, the service center I've been using refuses to make an appointment and says the NY mobile service team will call me. They refuse to give me the phone number for the NY mobile service team. They say they'll report my problem and order the part to be delivered to the NY mobile service team. I emphasize that it's the *latch*.

The NY mobile service team doesn't call me back after several weeks. I call the service center again and yell at them. This time I manage to get a phone number for the NY mobile service team. I call them. They say "our computer system says we tried to call you". They never tried to call me -- their computer system is lying. They say the parts came in a week ago (but they never bothered to call me....) I tell them *again* (since it's different people) that the problem is that the *latch* is stuck and ask them to make sure they have ordered the parts for the latch. "Omar" assures me that they have the parts for the latch. At this point, about four weeks after I first called, I am finally able to make an appointment. There is then a further delay because my schedule doesn't allow for an appointment in the next week (but would have in the earlier weeks which Tesla wasted).

Come today, the service tech shows up. He doesn't have the parts for the latch, because nobody ever wrote down that they were supposed to get the parts for the latch. Complete waste of time. I yell at the NY mobile service team guy (Omar), who lied to me, who now claims that the order regarding the stuck latch was never entered in his computer. I ask and he won't give me his manager's number. Or the number of the idiot in top management who ordered that we get all our mobile service through this idiot division. He says he'll talk to his manager -- we'll see.

This is par for the course with Tesla service. I have been dealing with this crap for five years, and it gets worse and worse every time. Meanwhile, the software team breaks basic functionality in updates (such as USB music playback).

This is going to kill the company. Not now, but as soon as there are other decent electric cars on the market -- ones where you can go to *independent service shops*.

They've had five years to fix this sort of crap and they've only made it worse. My advice to investors at this point is to hold on now, but dump the stock before 2020 if they don't fix the chronic and ever-worsening service problems.

It's not the bottom-line technicians. They're all fine. It's top management failure. There's no internal communications: information does not get passed from one person to another, and any one person who screws up the information ruins everything. The only way to get good service is to talk directly to the service tech who is going to do the work on your car. The only way to get a software bug fixed is to find the programmer who is responsible for fixing it. And Tesla does their best to *prevent* you from talking to the people you need to talk to.

Sorry to hear about all the hassle.

@JonMc Sounds like upstate NY needs some help.

This is why Tesla will fail -- not this year, not next year, but in a few years...

I think you need to change your tag line from "Happy Model S Owner" to something else :)

Well, I don't know much about Tesla as we don't own one, BUT, my advice would be to NEVER, NOT EVER, buy a General Motors product. Don't even get me started.

Actually, I have had very good service from GM vehicles over the years. In my experience, the brands that have caused me the most grief are Honda and Toyota.

Building out nationwide service coverage while dealing with systematic state-by-state sabotage is probably not that easy. I imagine it'll ramp real quick once the Model III starts rolling off the line at full speed. Until then....keep howling, Elon does seem to listen.

More middle management should be an absolute last resort! Perhaps more rangers would be best?

The service in my area is very good too.

The problem I can see is Tesla running a monopoly on the sales and service, which is related to this thread as well. That concerns me, because it can leave a person without choices if their local Tesla directed solution is not working out for them. There are some threads on TMC like this where people have been sent back to their poorly working Tesla location due to some policy - and there are no third-party alternatives with Tesla...

The second thing is the bureaucracy of how to get in touch with Tesla, as in this message as well. It can be tricky at times.

I do think Tesla would do well to improve in these areas pointed out by the OP, but to OP, don't despair too much - it is not universally bad.

I have found the service to be excellent, but there is a serious capacity problem with Montreal service.

I reported my driver’s door handle failure over a week ago, and not even an appointment yet. I keep having to crawl in from the passenger side. Any other door handle would have been a minor nuisance, but this is well beyond that.

How the hell will they service Model 3 if they can’t handle the current workload?

Last edited:

We've owned a couple dozen. No significant problems that were surprises. With the way I push the envelope, you'd think I'd have busted every last one. We have 6 currently being driven from 2002-2017.

Perhaps you don't beat on them hard enough and they die of boredom? Dunno. ;)

What is really odd, is that the Killer Key cars never had ignition switch issues (3, one with 200k), and none of the Silverados burst into flames. Guess they were all Wednesday cars.

Worst brand IMO? Nissan.

Reactions: X Yes?
I have found the service to be excellent, but there is a serious capacity problem with Montreal service.

I reported my driver’s door handle failure a couple of weeks ago, and no appointment yet. I keep having to crawl in from the passenger side. Any other door handle would have been a minor nuisance, but this is well beyond that.

How the hell will they service Model 3 if they can’t handle the current workload?
Door handles are filed under one of the reasons why I’ve shied away from buying a used Model S instead of waiting for my Model 3. Self presenting door handles are cool, but it’s the same reason why manual windows last longer than automatic.....

And when it comes to repairs, door handles are expensive to fix from a labor point of view, even if the parts are cheap.

I re-iterate that Tesla needs a “service portal” to log your own service tickets, and that someone in HQ monitors aging tickets, just like with a well run helpdesk. It helps you identify problem spots and resolve them.