Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla's fleet learning is a big deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is my car "always" giving feedback when it experiences a situation it can't handle (on autopilot)? Or do i have to bug report each time it panics and kicks off?
I'm hoping I am contributing to the data collection.

There was discussion during the investor presentation that suggested that Tesla was receiving/reviewing some data from every AP disengagement on AP2+ cars. I'm not certain how much the car categorizes it or whether all the events have similar levels of data provided.

Not always. Tesla can classify uploads based on a multitude of categories/options which override/deactivation instance data they want. They can "query" the fleet for specific problem situations they want to work on/optimize.

As in "upload only overrides when overtaking trucks". Or "only auto lane changes with control pressure applied, deviating from computer-only controlled ALC".

Like, the other night I was driving home, had a wonderfully empty german highway and made a bunch of auto lane changes going 150 kph. During a number of those, I guided the steering to have a smoother lane change and to make sure it wouldn't abort. All while being gentle enough to not let it override autosteer.
After that 1hr/100km drive my car uploaded 450MB of data to the mothership. It was in the same WiFi before the drive, so I can claim the data was uploaded from that specific drive.

After that 1hr/100km drive my car uploaded 450MB of data to the mothership. It was in the same WiFi before the drive, so I can claim the data was uploaded from that specific drive.
That implies two thing, uploads aren't real time via LTE and all that data, be it disengagements or what-not are cached until a wifi link is next made. That would also imply those that don't have solid wifi access never upload anything. How do you know the car uploaded or downloaded anything across that wifi? I, pretty much, exclusively use Linux and while there is a system resource monitor it doesn't say, for instance, where the network traffic is coming from. So I am open to learning new things.

That implies two thing, uploads aren't real time via LTE and all that data, be it disengagements or what-not are cached until a wifi link is next made. That would also imply those that don't have solid wifi access never upload anything. How do you know the car uploaded or downloaded anything across that wifi? I, pretty much, exclusively use Linux and while there is a system resource monitor it doesn't say, for instance, where the network traffic is coming from. So I am open to learning new things.

You're making the assumption that all disengagements have the same priority.

Tesla could easily tell the cars "keep data on all of these types of disengagements and report them over Wi-Fi when you get a chance, but tell us immediately over cellular if you get one of this other type."

I'm running a dedicated OoenWRT-based router in my garage. It doesn't reach into the house and the car is the only device connected to that router. Looking at the traffic stats per interface I can see the volume and direction.

• Informative
Reactions: wcorey