TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why Tesla's right about no dealers (anecdote)

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by jgs, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jgs

jgs Active Member

Today a Bolt pulled up and parked at the public charger next to me. Two guys got out -- mid fifties to sixty maybe, nicely dressed, might've been twins, but I digress. One of them said hi and asked if he could look at my J1772 adapter. Huh, sure. So I showed it to him, he took a look, I put it back. Walks over to his charge port and stares at it with his brother. Asked me where I got my adapter, told him it came with the car.

It turns out they were trying to figure out how they were supposed to plug their Bolt, which had the CCS option, into a Tesla Supercharger. They figured the dealer had failed to sell or provide them the necessary adapter and that they should go back and get one. I gently informed them that no, they would never be plugging into a Supercharger, they needed to find a CCS fast charger. Skepticism ensued, can we look at your adapter again? It has two circles just like this CCS port. Sure, I'm not in a hurry. Careful comparison. Grudging acceptance or at least reduced skepticism.

The owner of the car had just bought it two days ago. The brother, though, had (or had had? probably that) a Volt, an ELR, and a Bolt. (A GM employee, I'd guess.) But neither of them knew about fast charging standards nor the fact their $750 option wouldn't give them access to the charging network they expected. Good job with the customer education, dealer.

In parting I asked if they knew about PlugShare. "Oh we have ChargePoint." I explained the difference, they went away somewhat more educated than they started.

I wonder if they'll be pissed at their dealer for not educating them or for selling them the option under false pretenses, or if maybe they'll be pissed at Tesla for being such meanies and not sharing (it's all too common). Will they tell their friends how much of a pain it is to figure out this complicated charging stuff?

I didn't need convincing that Tesla's stores-not-dealers approach was right, but if I had, that would have done it. (It also shows the industry in general needs to do better on de-complicating charging, but that's another story.)

Oh yeah, I'm in Michigan, a state that excludes Tesla stores and service centers. :-(

• Like x 1
  2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

3. Struja

Struja Member

I lurked on this website for a while prior to my purchase. My son asked me just yesterday..."why do you always read that Tesla Motors Club website"... I told him it was a great source of information about my Tesla, but also about electric car ownership in general.

The reality is, I've probably learned much more about my car and the EV ownership experience from this website than I did from the fine folks at Tesla.

• Like x 2
  4. jgs

jgs Active Member

I agree with that! But I also know from first contact with a sales advisor all the way through delivery, Tesla was continually and consistently trying to educate me about charging.

5. jgs

jgs Active Member

Oh, I remember that. Yeah, something like that would help, though not fix, the situation. The actual proposal in the GCR article appears not to have had a lot of development since they use color codes to differentiate. Presumably a final proposal would address colorblind people's needs.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

• Like x 1