Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the Cybertruck looks the way it does

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Explaining why it looks the way it does helps you and me, but maybe it wasn't the right message for others. In the final analysis, they built it the way they did for cost reasons. But that's a pretty bad marketing message: This was the lowest cost design!

I definitely see your point. I would have expected them to spin it more like "this is how we can bring you this much range, power and functionality at such a great price," but price is indeed the key concept in what they did - they could have brought all those features a different way at a higher price point. Leading with the low price is not the best way to build excitement about a new product.

Still, I fear that was things are now, most people assume this is just a narcissistic exercise and will make fun of the appearance while ignoring the great value they can get. I guess as long as it's not actually for sale it doesn't matter too much, so we'll see how things shake out over the next couple of years...

I remember a few months back that tesla issued a patent for a new stamping machine that stamped the outer shell of the vehicle. Im the picture it showed a model Y as an example. But now im starting to believe it's for the cyber truck
Can't be. You can't stamp stainless steel. It will destroy the stamping equipment in short order and the steel will break rather than bend. They said it will be folded and cut using laser cutters.

Can't be. You can't stamp stainless steel. It will destroy the stamping equipment in short order and the steel will break rather than bend. They said it will be folded and cut using laser cutters.
How do you know this new machine wont do the scaring so it then can bend it. Elon said that current stamping machine are too weak. That they would have to build something stronger. What is this new patented machine is it?
The way i imagine it is the SS gets etched before going into the stamping machine. The panels get bent then get tack welded into one piece. Then the one piece moves on to get final/complete welding.
I highly doubt the exoskeleton will be handmade.

How do you know this new machine wont do the scaring so it then can bend it. Elon said that current stamping machine are too weak. That they would have to build something stronger. What is this new patented machine is it?
The way i imagine it is the SS gets etched before going into the stamping machine. The panels get bent then get tack welded into one piece. Then the one piece moves on to get final/complete welding.
I highly doubt the exoskeleton will be handmade.
A bending machine is not a stamping machine. The difference is that a stamping machine has dies, a bending machine doesn't. I don't doubt there will be etchings to mark the bend points, but that's still bending, not stamping.

Explaining why it looks the way it does helps you and me, but maybe it wasn't the right message for others. In the final analysis, they built it the way they did for cost reasons. But that's a pretty bad marketing message: This was the lowest cost design! Woo hoo!

Instead, their marketing message is, hey, we totally wanted this bold, innovative and functional styling!
Indeed. The looks are dictated by cost saving, and then Elon makes a virtue of the resulting functional/brutalist styling. I think it's very clever. I'm really curious to see what percentage of truck buyers will be repelled by the looks. Many of these will be the truck poseurs: those buying trucks for the badboy image, not for necessity/reality of tough work.

Not having a stamping machine is a benefit, not a weakness. That is a chokepoint in the process, the other is the paint shop. This truck eliminates both. The product timeline is greatly enhanced by not requiring the capax or plant infrastructure. I was wondering where they'd build it but this could be built anywhere with enough factory floor. A few robots to do some welding and glass, a team on wiring, a team on interior, a team to put a few power systems in place. Attach suspension elements. You'd have a truck. If you had battery capacity it could spit these out.

Reactions: Cosmacelf