Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the difference in Canadian vs US options wording? Suspension and rear seats.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the options are identical other than price. I was discussing the Smart Air Suspension with a Canadian owner (who doesn't have it) and describing how it would remember where you last had a setting a re-apply it based on GPS as you approached, and he said, "umm, no it doesn't". So we went to the website and we were both right. On the USA website, the wording for Smart Air Suspension is as follows:

Automatically adjusts stiffness for optimum performance and ride regardless of road surface or cargo. Location aware, the air suspension automatically re-applies manual settings each time it nears previous GPS coordinates, particularly useful for steep driveways.

On the Canadian website, it says:
Automatically levels and adjusts stiffness for optimum performance and ride regardless of road surface or cargo. Using the touchscreen, drivers can raise or lower Model S when entering a steep driveway, navigating snow, or unloading passengers and belongings.

No mention of GPS at all. But does the USA version not "level" and can it not be used for "unloading passengers and belongings" or "navigating snow"? It seems odd that they copy/paste [most] all the other options but this one is worded quite distinctly.

That had me scanning for other differences, and I only found one... the rear kid's seats. In the USA, apparently they are "hand wrapped in black microfiber" while in Canada they are not :)

I guess in BC you may not be aware of it, but in the rest of Canada we think about snow, and performance in snow a LOT. That's more important than GPS settings for the raising and lowering of the suspension.

I'm not a cloth expert, but I wouldn't call the material microfiber...
I'm just quoting what they wrote :) I'm not a cloth expert either, but I have a microfiber couch and I have a microfiber towel and they don't feel or look anything alike, so I imagine the term can be used to describe a wide variety. It probably is just a fancy term for "not natural"

I guess in BC you may not be aware of it, but in the rest of Canada we think about snow, and performance in snow a LOT. That's more important than GPS settings for the raising and lowering of the suspension.
No, I get that... but it doesn't explain why it would be worded differently. I mean it might make sense for changing the order of the talking points to emphasize snow more than GPS, but there is snow in the US (NY gets a lot more than you do most years!) and we do have GPS here, so it would seem to make sense that they would hit every point for both markets.

Anyway, it turns out it was just a web developer's gaff and I'm now told it should be fixed soon. Since I placed my deposit this morning, I got the obligatory "congrats" call from the owner advisor and we got to talking and I mentioned it... he confirmed the feature is the same and the wording on the Canadian site is how it used to be worded on the USA site and the change must have just been missed by whoever is in charge of that sort of thing.

I'm just quoting what they wrote :) I'm not a cloth expert either, but I have a microfiber couch and I have a microfiber towel and they don't feel or look anything alike, so I imagine the term can be used to describe a wide variety. It probably is just a fancy term for "not natural"

No, I get that... but it doesn't explain why it would be worded differently. I mean it might make sense for changing the order of the talking points to emphasize snow more than GPS, but there is snow in the US (NY gets a lot more than you do most years!) and we do have GPS here, so it would seem to make sense that they would hit every point for both markets.

Anyway, it turns out it was just a web developer's gaff and I'm now told it should be fixed soon. Since I placed my deposit this morning, I got the obligatory "congrats" call from the owner advisor and we got to talking and I mentioned it... he confirmed the feature is the same and the wording on the Canadian site is how it used to be worded on the USA site and the change must have just been missed by whoever is in charge of that sort of thing.
I've noticed differences in wording in the UK and Australian sites as well. Maybe the local subsidiaries decide on the exact wording depending on local concerns.

Did you use Bjorn's referral link for the order? Get him to the magic 10 and save yourself $1000.

Congratulations on the order. :smile:

I've noticed differences in wording in the UK and Australian sites as well. Maybe the local subsidiaries decide on the exact wording depending on local concerns.

Did you use Bjorn's referral link for the order? Get him to the magic 10 and save yourself $1000.

Congratulations on the order. :smile:
I got more PMs for offers to use referral links than I can count :) There were even a couple of friendly bribes in there! All appreciated, as I had no idea there was such a program in place. Yes I saved $1000, but I went with the first person to PM me (I'm not even sure who it was at this point.). I suppose I could cancel and re-place if "Bjorn" wants to send me a wall charger ;)

I assure you, in Canada it is also GPS aware, despite not specifically saying so.
Thanks. Would you recommend it? I see from your sig you've had yours awhile and you have that feature. Surprisingly, the Owner Advisor sort of sounded like he was talking me out of it, like there were better ways to spend $2800. He was telling me he'd recommend the next gen leather seats instead. I chose the cloth because I'm not a fan of leather. I wish there was "next gen" cloth :) I suppose I can get covers made though lol.

I got more PMs for offers to use referral links than I can count :) There were even a couple of friendly bribes in there! All appreciated, as I had no idea there was such a program in place. Yes I saved $1000, but I went with the first person to PM me (I'm not even sure who it was at this point.). I suppose I could cancel and re-place if "Bjorn" wants to send me a wall charger ;)

Thanks. Would you recommend it? I see from your sig you've had yours awhile and you have that feature. Surprisingly, the Owner Advisor sort of sounded like he was talking me out of it, like there were better ways to spend $2800. He was telling me he'd recommend the next gen leather seats instead. I chose the cloth because I'm not a fan of leather. I wish there was "next gen" cloth :) I suppose I can get covers made though lol.

Oh, I thought I was the only person in the world who doesn't like leather seats. :smile:

When I ordered, there was no option for air vs coil suspension. It was air for $1500 (yes much cheaper back then) or wait many months for coil. However there was also the fact that the 3% luxury tax was about to be implemented, so i got the order in before the tax which more than made up for it. But having never had air suspension before, I was kind of miffed that I had to pay for it since i really didn't want it. Looking back, the air suspension is kind of nice, and I am glad I have it. There are a few driveways around that it definitely saves some front spoiler &/or main battery pack scrapes on. High speed lowering and cornering is definitely more fun as well. If I had to order again? Well, I would probably would not get air suspension, and direct the money to the sunroof. That is something I wish I had gotten. Also back then, leather was standard, and that is another thing I am glad I have, having never had leather seats before either. That is something I would go for. But they are hard to keep clean in the summer - sunscreen really puts some tough to clean white streaks on it. Well, at least for black leather.

I had leather seats on my '03 Cadilac STS. I hated that car, but most of all I hated those seats. That car's a/c blower was more powerful than my smart's engine, but it still was horrible in the summer. I couldn't stand that hot/sticky feeling. And that was when I was living closer to you. Now that I'm in Kelowna - where it really does get hot - I imagine it would be even worse. But even when it wasn't hot, I never liked the feel of it. Or the smell of it. I actually think I'm allergic to cow hide. Any time I go by a store in a mall that sells leather jackets or bags, it feels like I've walked into a dusty workshop and breathing gets a bit tight. It isn't nearly as bad in a car (where the leather is presumably not as "fresh" and probably treated) but I still don't enjoy the smell.

So I very much would rather have the cloth, if they are remotely comfortable. Which I won't know until I get a chance to sit in one. Hopefully before mine is committed.

Morris - thanks for the suspension input. For the money, I guess I'll probably pass. Unless... hmm... there are those stupid wide "speed humps" in my neighbourhood that I have to drive over daily. Is that the kind of thing where it matters? In my car now I don't even slow down for them.

My car has Air suspension and we love it, as our driveway is very steep. It also makes cleaning rims/wheels much easier.
I have it auto-set to lower to low at highway speed, which provides perhaps a 5% range boost.

Options I couldn't do without:

Largest battery size available at time of purchase (85kWh in my case)
Panoramic roof (opens up the cabin, and better for head room in the rear seats)
High Fidelity Sound (need the sub baby!)
Electric truck lid open/close with remote (good for short people such as kids/wife)

Options I would purchase new, but could live without if money was tight:

Air suspension
Auto Pilot
Leather

Options I'd love to have but wouldn't order unless approved by management (you know who)

Performance (as you can see, approval for this wasn't given based on my signature below :)

Misc:

Go with 19" rims if you are ok with the look, they handle well, and wont rash/crack as easily.

I'm a bit different, but also some similarities. Of course I can't speak from experience like you can, so I very much appreciate your input.

On my "must have" list is Auto Pilot, Panoramic roof, dual motors (that's my #1) and 85kWh. As I read more about it though, I'm afraid Auto Pilot isn't going to amaze me and that alone has me questioning the entire decision as it was a big factor in me looking hard at the car.

The only things on my "trying to decide" list are Air suspension and paint... I think I like the Multi-Coat White based on the website graphics, but $1700 is a lot to pay for white :) Actually none of the paint really does it for me and I really wish they had better options.

On my "no thanks" list is the interior and lighting package because it is WAY too steeply priced, in my opinion, for what you get. Individually some of the items might be nice but not for anywhere near what they are asking.

I think the wheels are crazy. $5100 for 21" wheels? You can get better aftermarket for a fraction of that. I feel the same for the premium sound... for that kind of coin, a shop can hook you up! The winter package sounded like a "must" for me at first, but once I realized the front seats were heated as standard I didn't see the point. Heated wipers/fluid can be added for $200 and you'd never tell the difference.

I wouldn't pay anything for the "P". At this point I don't think I'd take it even if it were offered free, other than to sell the car to get the non-P at a discount or something like that. Both my cars added together don't have the horsepower of the Model S's sunroof motor I'm sure. Anything's a huge improvement :)