Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the difference in charging figures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

DM250141

Using Intelligent Octopus always throws up different actual charging amounts. I have no idea why. Does yours?
This morning after overnight charge the M3 shows 19kWh. the Podpoint App shows 23.60kWh.
The Octopus App shows 21.60kWh
Total charge time 3hr 16min so that points toward the Octopus figure as being right (7kWh charger) and M3 yesterday averaged 4.33 Mile per kWh so that matches the Octopus figure.
The Smart Meter display said 22.25kWh had been used midnight to 06:00 so that matches the Octopus app taking into account the house normaly uses 0.6ish in the same period.
So why does the M3 and the PP state 2kWh either side of the Octopus App and Smart Meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a 7kw charger the difference between what you consume and what ends up in the battery is typically thought to be about 10% though this may be an average and thus higher in winter. with a UMC it is more like 15%.
Overall the difference between what you consume and the usage based on your average wh/m times miles covered is likely to be in the order of 25-35%. due to preheat, sentry, charging losses, phantom drain etc.

Yes it is Sunny in Aqueduct today. I might see you around. White Model3LR. Reg plate says what it is, so you can't really miss me.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is Sunny in Aqueduct today. I might see you around. White Model3LR. Reg plate says what it is, so you can't really miss me.:D
I am in the Bratton/Shawbirch area so I don't think we could be much further apart and still both be in Telford!
I'll keep an eye out, though TBH these days I would probably have more luck spotting you if you had a silver Ford Fiesta 🤣