Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the fans with Max Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To heat and cool the battery as necessary to keep it as close as possible to the optimal temperature for maximum performance :)

Sounds like some young students explaining the gearing in a robot they built.

"We used a small gear driving a big gear so we got more torque, then we needed more speed so we made the big gear drive a small one to get speed and torque at the same time."

I thought the fans running (on some cars at least) was related to battery gate / charge gate updates so as soon as the battery coolant reached a certain temp and during charging the fans just keep running. I wonder if the 'certain temp' just happens to be below the L+ mode pre-heat? Is this only at high battery SOC? I saw some owners saying the fans just keep running until the SOC drops sufficiently. As though it is to stop you leaving the battery at near 100% SOC for any length of time. I thought that might be only on older pre-100 cars though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chaserr and UkrHog
I asked this before and had no logical response. Mine comes on when the battery is at any temp (10C or 30C) and warms it to 45-50C for full perf (looking in scan my tesla app). The fan stays on and keeps on after I leave the + mode for a bit too until the battery has cooled. Doesn't make sense to come on at 10C.

Reactions: byeLT4 and thegruf
If they were ducted fans aimed through venturis at the rear of the car that would be one thing.

I get the case that the battery has to be heated evenly without hot spots, but instantly coming on when the battery is at 10C and running for 45 mins just seems nuts ... unless it is Tesla's way of making L+ so inaccessible that nobody ever uses it

(even the "starfield easter egg can now only be enabled when the car is in Park now it has been moved to the "Toybox"
so you have to faff around in the menus and remember to select suspension to low if you want to try a launch)

... or am I just being cynical?

really though I would love an answer to this

Reactions: byeLT4
I figure it’s heating the battery and cooling the motors. Someone with a CAN scanner would be able to see for sure.

That sounds too reasonable to be a possibility!

Not a big deal if coolant flow allows the fans to cool motors without effecting heating the battery, that sounds like a reason to run the fans, but more often the need seems to be to heat the battery to get regen working and I assumed they used the battery heater and motors to do this as they were in the same coolant circuit. I suppose a multi-way valve could easily achieve that.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: thegruf
I don’t have an answer to that. I have asked the Tesla service technicians more than a few times about the fans on my car and if they were functioning correctly as they seem to have a mind of their own. They have always explained that they are doing what ever they need to do to keep the battery operating appropriately. I imagine the same fans are used to help the A/C operate and that could cause some interesting opposing operations when the battery needs to be warmed and the cabin needs to be cooled or vice versa.

It seems answers are in short supply. I highly recommend SMT or other software and a dongle and CAN bus reader, like OBDLink MX.

Then, you can ask the SeC questions like, why is the powertrain pumps running at 50%, the cooling pumps at 23%, when the Cell temp is 85 deg F and I already have 365Kw available?

The SeC may not be able to answer, but someone here might...

. I wonder if the 'certain temp' just happens to be below the L+ mode pre-heat?
I don't think it's batterygate. Batterygate has the constant-fans temperature set point extremely low. It's essentially always-on fans at any SOC above ~69% (the faked 69%, so really it's more like 55-60%)

They aren't just trying to stop the battery from getting too warm normally as you drive, they are trying to stop the battery from warming itself up even when it's parked and sleeping - that's when the cooling system used to be inactive, but batterygate batteries will continually heat up from tiny internal short circuits constantly heating up one cell until it reaches the critical point and sets off a chain reaction.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I don't think it's batterygate. Batterygate has the constant-fans temperature set point extremely low. It's essentially always-on fans at any SOC above ~69% (the faked 69%, so really it's more like 55-60%)

They aren't just trying to stop the battery from getting too warm normally as you drive, they are trying to stop the battery from warming itself up even when it's parked and sleeping - that's when the cooling system used to be inactive, but batterygate batteries will continually heat up from tiny internal short circuits constantly heating up one cell until it reaches the critical point and sets off a chain reaction.

Since the OP relates to a 100 I doubt it is battery gate too. But not so hard to imagine something crazy going on faced with L+ trying to heat and cool simultaneously. As with all things Tesla being left to speculate is bound to get imaginations going.

Reactions: Chaserr