TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why the Model 3 will replace my daughters Ford Fusion Hybrid with 45K miles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Xenoilphobe, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Ted Britt Ford .jpg

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 4
    • Love x 2
  2. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Many Leather bound books.

I’m a fan of BG’s products. But damn. They are pushing it like it’s pure magic for everything, entirely unnecessary.

pricing for a 4 wheel alignment would make my old boss a very wealthy man if he charged that. I’m assuming this was at a dealership?

That car has a 4cyl right? Freaking $355 to swap out spark plugs on a inline 4 is hilarious unless I’m missing something.

• Like x 1
  3. Xenoilphobe

Yeah its Ted Britt in Chantilly VA. BG does make good stuff, but damn is right. They never wash the car, we go once a year to get the state inspection/emission/full synthetic oil change ($124). These are the same guys who tried to sell me a battery last year, when it had a brand new 12V battery installed the week prior.

• Like x 1
  4. Xenoilphobe

Must use the new exotic unobtainium plugs only made for a Ford Fusion @ $50 per plug, good thing its not a V12.

• Funny x 2
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

For me, there was never any value in a Hybrid for this very reason. But then I don't drive thousands of miles to make the gas savings worthwhile.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

That just looks like a dealership Service Advisor that is trying to make as much money as possible... I bet 3/4 of those "flushes" are not even needed, but it looks like you guys declined them all so good for you.

• Informative x 1
  7. Xenoilphobe

#7 Xenoilphobe, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    The only value that a Gas/Electric Hybrid had in NOVA, was the use of HOV lanes, which has now been forfeited due the expiration of that privilege. I won't be buying another one. However Teslas do quality for HOV plates.

Clean Special Fuel Plates & Vehicle Occupancy Requirements
    Effective September 30, 2019, gas/electric hybrid vehicles displaying clean special fuel plates will no longer qualify for the HOV lane use exemption unless the required number of occupants are in the vehicles or the vehicles are qualifying plug-in electric vehicles.

Qualifying plug-in electric hybrids are determined based on federal law. For your vehicle to qualify, it must be included on this list. All other clean special fuel vehicles will continue to be eligible for the HOV lane use exemption until September 30, 2025.

Source: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

8. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

That bill brought back memories

Every 3-5 years I would DIY most of that maintenance on my Toyota Prius hybrid(s)

Plugs cost $32 for 100k miles
    Throttle body cleaning was about 10 cents worth of carb cleaner
    Tyre rotation was free
    Coolant for two circuits was $32
    Motor oil change was $20 per 10k miles
    Transmission fluid swap: $30

I don't miss the work (although I did not really mind it, either) but I would not blame the car for the LOL dealership prices.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. boriszima

boriszima Member

Some of those items will need to be done on Tesla such as brake fluid flush/check at 2 years and tire rotation every 5-10K and wheel alignment as needed. Rest - be gone!!!

• Like x 2
  10. Xenoilphobe

I used to do it too, until I realized my labor was about 3X what the dealer is charging and with 7 cars to maintain, 2 kids and lots of other stuff to do on the weekends, MEH... Its easier just to get rid of the car and pay a fixed cost for a lower maintenance vehicle like the 3, with better safety features, re-instating HOV privileges (traffic here sucks), etc.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

I have an unused brake fluid test strip I bought for my Prius that I can test the Tesla brake fluid one of these years. Maybe in 2025 since I live in a dry climate and use the friction brakes so rarely. Or maybe never. As far as I am concerned the only maintenance on my Tesla are the brake caliper/pins and the coolant.

12. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

• Informative x 1
  13. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

The dealerships rely on maintenance to make the bulk of their profits. You know Tesla is different when they put how to videos on their website to discourage you from coming in to the service center to request any service.

• Like x 1
  14. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. KenC

KenC Active Member

$2000+!!! for a 45k service?!? Have to live up to the Stealer rep.

• Like x 1
  16. boriszima

boriszima Member

nice. I assume like all other cars at certain mileage say 100-150K suspension needs to be looked at. Will need to find logs from teslaloop guys to see what they did.

• Helpful x 1
  17. pl8dlikafiddle

LOL. Items 1-3 and 7-9 are upsell items that you don’t need at 45k miles.

This isn’t unique to hybrids - more indicative of someone trying to screw you. The “fuel injection” service is probably a $9 bottle of Chevron Techron.

• Funny x 1
  18. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

Flush? No, it's not only not magic, it's useless! What is going to get into a brake line that would need flushing???

This would have been what, $2,100??? What a load of pure crap. The only things that might be useful are the plugs and balance/rotate which are dramatically overpriced.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush REJECT Fascism

#19 SageBrush, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    I keep detailed records of car costs so I looked up our Prius that we bought new in 2004 and sold in 2014 after 175k miles.
    Excluding tyres I spent $1100 for DIY repairs and maintenance. The ~ $100 of repairs included a windshield wiper nozzle and a gear selector. The total was inflated by my performing extensive maintenance and buying a new 12v for the car before sale. I wanted the new owner to have an almost maintenance free car for its next 5 years.

~ 0.63 pennies a mile.

20. ralph142

ralph142 Member

What in the world is “mist service”?