Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the obsession with deleting chrome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mainly a matter of personal taste, but also what’s ‘in’ these days. I’m of the minority that prefers the chrome ... or just considered old fashioned.

I'm with you :) I'm a chrome kind of guy. there's no way I would do chrome delete on my car ever! I'm looking for ways to put more chrome on it. I've been thinking about getting my stock 19"wheels chromed.

Do you think there will be bunch of people putting chrome on the Model Y since it comes all blacked out?

Screenshot_20191230-185734~2.png

More chrome please! Mwahahaha

Mainly a matter of personal taste, but also what’s ‘in’ these days. I’m of the minority that prefers the chrome ... or just considered old fashioned.

Me too!! All the 90s cars I loved had chrome wheels!!!

Keeps the magpies away.

What about chickens?

I'm with you :) I'm a chrome kind of guy. there's no way I would do chrome delete on my car ever! I'm looking for ways to put more chrome on it. I've been thinking about getting my stock 19"wheels chromed.

My man!!

Do you think there will be bunch of people putting chrome on the Model Y since it comes all blacked out?

Nope

Reactions: Bobbo8
To each their own. Personally I love the combination of Red with Chrome. Not all color combos tho so I get why some chrome delete.
Indeed. I personally do not like the "chrome delete" on a blue car. The chrome, including silver wheels, looks much nicer on blue in my opinion. On red and maybe grey, on the other hand, the black trim can be sharp...

Because chrome is for old people who drive Cadillacs and Lincolns.

I'm 76. Maybe that doesn't qualify as "old", but I've never driven a Lincoln. Once I drove my Uncle's Caddy, but it was like driving a tank (and yes, I've driven a tank) and I didn't care for the lack of power (like driving a tank) or the lack of high end speed (like a tank).

Personally, I plan to get a Raven with 370+ miles of range and 155+ miles of speed. Don't even care if I never use it, but I betcha I'll have sometime when I can get close. I've only had my Model S up to 115.

Oh, right. I'm old.

I prefer the chrome. The issue is that most chrome deletes are using plasti-dip or wrap which looks really cheap.

If the actual chrome pieces were molded out of black plastic or completely painted from the factory then whatever comes on the car is fine with me.

Reactions: KJD
Model Y since it comes all blacked out?
Probably, its all about the tinkering with it, belongs to you now so you glue and stick what you want on it. I prefer to leave things just how they came, it was engineered that way and its best to leave it alone.

Once you delete your chrome, can you delete the chrome delete?
As we all know black gets blotchy after a time, causing one to think its a bit tired and time to trade in or move along. But yes, if it comes one way, they'll want to change it to another.

Reactions: G26okie
chrome i put in the same bucket as carbon-fiber and piano gloss finishes... too shiny and/or tacky.

a little bit of it is fine. goes well with the red and white. on the other colored cars it contrasts a bit too much. but im not a fan of the blacked-out look either.

Depending upon where it's located, chrome can blind other drivers or you for that instant you need visibility to avoid that accident. It's also a pain to have to hold your hand up to block the sun's reflection of of the stupid stuff.