Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the obsession with deleting chrome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had BMWs for the past 10 years, and they've all had 'shadow line' trim (basically black chrome) where the M3 has most of its chrome.

I was really annoyed with the BWM "blackened" version because it scratches just by looking at it, and you can't see some of the outlines of the car. So for the M3, I'm leaving the chrome as-is. I don't mind it and it contributes to the design language.

However I did put stickers on the door handles. I was mostly worried about them getting hot (I'm in Texas), and they attract fingerprints like cray.

Why is this a thing?

I have never liked chrome on modern sporty type cars. Chrome is normally a "luxury" tell on modern cars, while black trim is normally the "sporty" trim. I hate the fact that the chrome trim makes the windows stand out so much, but its not just on teslas I dont like it. I dont like it on any modern "sporty" car.

I disagree with the "wrap looks cheep" comment, but can understand where it is coming from. I would say "cheap wrap jobs look cheap". If its done by a professional person (or a person with professional skill level in applying the product), it is virtually indistinguishable from "coming that way" even up close and touching it.

I am looking forward to the day when tesla offers these choices themselves, because I would have paid extra to have factory black trim exterior (although I think it should have been standard on the Model 3P since its the "sporty" trim), and would have paid extra to not have a "wood" dash.

It just does not look good with white and black wheels plus the chrome handles fingerprint easily due to the way you open them on the 3. Back trim looks better with dark wheels.

I have gotten nice comments on my wheels after doing the chrome delete, but never before so I think it worked. Before the delete people asked if I just took the wheel covers off a few times...

Reactions: ICON and SaloonGoon
I'm fine with chrome.

I'll tell you what I miss though, and I can't understand why more people don't love it as much as I do. Polished aluminum wheels. Not chrome, not silver; polished aluminum. It has a unique "I'm awesome" look that all the not so awesome people are missing out on these days.

I'm totally waiting to have the rims I really want "forged 20's and polishing them!

Main reason: chrome, in my humble opinion, is for gangster types with 22" rims (preferably spinning) or 70 year old men. I have no problem with either group of people, but I decidedly do not fit in either category. I think it looks rather tacky on the Model 3, and most sporty sedans and coupes.

Secondary reason: From a point of practicality, I find the chrome on the Tesla is actually annoying to drive with in the sun, at certain angles the chrome arms the hold the side mirrors reflect sun right into my eyes. Matte black wrap solves this issue. Also chrome (and any shiny finish) shows fingerprints like crazy, especially the door handles. This is also why I wrapped my center console matte black, and it now looks 10x better IMO. I might also do the door mounted controls next.

Depending upon where it's located, chrome can blind other drivers or you for that instant you need visibility to avoid that accident. It's also a pain to have to hold your hand up to block the sun's reflection of of the stupid stuff.

YES! I have had this from the mirror supports! They are flat and horizontal and the sun at the right angle is that momentary blinding flash.

I'm fine with chrome.

I'll tell you what I miss though, and I can't understand why more people don't love it as much as I do. Polished aluminum wheels. Not chrome, not silver; polished aluminum. It has a unique "I'm awesome" look that all the not so awesome people are missing out on these days.

I'm not a fan of chrome rims, but I have hypersilver, which are about as bright as you can get silver without it being chrome. As far as chrome delete - I thnk it can look good on cars with matching dark rims, but for most colors of the car, like gray, red, blue, the chrome trim with silver rims looks very classy.

The issue I see with chrome delete later this year, is that it looks like you regret not buying a model Y.

1CuWtor.jpg

Chrome delete looks best on Black, grey and blue colors.
Classy thing would be to do the trim body colored.

Those are also the colors that look best with chrome and silver rims. Chrome looks worse on the lighter colors because it blends and doesn't add contrast like it does with dark colors.

Might also be why most of Tesla colors are on the darker shades.

Reactions: SaloonGoon
As a former and current BMW driver I prefer the chrome delete look as it is reminiscent of the shadow line trim on the MSport cars.

That being said: I’ve not yet chrome deleted our Model 3’s as on Black (MR) it’s just too much (Black on Black on Black) and looks too boy racer but on the White (P3D+) it’ll give it that stormtrooper look which I always loved on Mineral/Alpine White BMW MSport...weather conditions have been way too schizo for a proper wrap job lately though.

I'm not a fan of chrome rims, but I have hypersilver, which are about as bright as you can get silver without it being chrome. As far as chrome delete - I thnk it can look good on cars with matching dark rims, but for most colors of the car, like gray, red, blue, the chrome trim with silver rims looks very classy.

The issue I see with chrome delete later this year, is that it looks like you regret not buying a model Y.

1CuWtor.jpg
What are the wheels? They're super nice

I've had BMWs for the past 10 years, and they've all had 'shadow line' trim (basically black chrome) where the M3 has most of its chrome.

Ok, that's confusing. Is "M3" a Tesla model 3 or a BMW M3?

I was really annoyed with the BWM "blackened" version because it scratches just by looking at it, and you can't see some of the outlines of the car. So for the M3, I'm leaving the chrome as-is. I don't mind it and it contributes to the design language.

However I did put stickers on the door handles. I was mostly worried about them getting hot (I'm in Texas), and they attract fingerprints like cray.

Yeah, fortunately I use my key fob to open my X doors mostly. But the chrome does soil easily.