Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the obsession with deleting chrome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never been a chrome guy on sports cars, but in some cars, it simply looks better. But on our Teslas, only the white color possibly looks better with black trim IMO, so I don't mind it. But in all other colors, chrome looks better IMO, even though I'm not a fan in general. It just looks more classy IMO. And it obviously was a cost cutting measure, but it should have been left on all other colors, since Tesla is charging extra for them.

Why do I generally dislike chrome?

1. Not a performance feature. It's purely cosmetic.
2. Adds weight without benefit.
3. It's an embellishment for something which may not need embellishment. It's like a gold watch or a shiny bauble. Again, purely cosmetic. I think of it as a type of 'bedazzling' from yesteryear.
4. It gets hot. Not the best for door handles.

While it doesn't look terrible in many cases, I don't see it as functionally beautiful though in some situations it looks nice if used sparingly. I think Tesla did a decent job with their use of it. I think the black handles look silly on the refreshed non-black Model 3s, so chrome wins there but I prefer body color-matched handles over either of those.

Because chrome is for old people who drive Cadillacs and Lincolns.
...first of all, LOL

But.....Guilty as charged. However, chrome lovers are classy, bold, and have style. We glow like chrome. If we were music, we'd be the brass section of Chicago, or the Tower of Power

Millennials and Gen X like Chrome delete. They like stealth, satin finishes, and darkened devious tones for wheels, trim, and just an overall evil appearance. I guess that means that you are dull, smarmy, un-refined. You absorb light, and if you were music, you'd be a monotonous electronic baseline.

;):rolleyes:

Mostly because my other car has enough chrome for both. :)

WCwxOeh

Certainly not a millennial here and I love the chrome delete on the new 2021 M3.
Particularly around the windows which I always tint to 35%. I have had the chrome
deleted on my previous two cars and this is the first time that I won't have to do it.

As others have mentioned, we too picked the BMW models with the black trim specifically because we hated the chrome that came otherwise.

On the Tesla I've seen a few people comment it holds up better but that is not my experience. On my MS, within a week, the door handles had fine scratches on it. It was so annoying. Why put something so fragile on the door handle, something you have to touch everytime you enter the car??? So needless to say, I immediately did chrome delete after I saw that (I was already annoyed that I couldn't get it as an option)