Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the void of SuperChargers in the south (particularly Arkansas)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems very odd to me that 2 adjacent states Arkansas and Mississippi have zero supercharger stations, especially since they are so close to one of Tesla's biggest markets, Texas.
A lot of Texas is also close to Texas and we can't get there either yet. Seriously, the number of Texans who travel to Arkansas or Mississippi is so small compared to intra-state travel, and the demographics of those states mean very few Tesla oqwners, so I can see why those states are the lowest priority.

I'm actively pursuing the purchase of an CPO MS and have in-laws in Mountain View Ark. I live 20 miles SE of St Louis (Belleville IL) w/o having to jump through HOOPS right now I can't find now way to take a Tesla on that trip. Right now in my Volt the trip takes me just at 8 hours. Once you leave Mo at Rolla it's mostly two lane rural roads and small towns. But even if I could charge up and limp into Mt View on empty DESTNATION charging for a Tesla is the next hurdle.

I'd consider paying to have a NEMA-50 installed at their property, but getting there is still out of reach right now.

Last edited:
I'm actively pursuing the purchase of an CPO MS and have in-laws in Mountain View Ark. I live 20 miles SE of St Louis (Belleville IL) w/o having to jump through HOOPS right now I can find now way to take a Tesla on that trip. Right now in my Volt the trip takes me just at 8 hours. Once you leave Mo at Rolla it's mostly two lane rural roads and small towns. But even if I could charge up and limp into Mt View on empty DESTNATION charging for a Tesla is the next hurdle.

I'd consider paying to have a NEMA-50 installed at their property, but getting there is still out of reach right now.
Welcome to my life!
I am hoping, maybe deludedly, that the fact that there is progress on I-44 West of Tulsa that there is near-time intent to complete the I-44 route. Tulsa and Rolla would be key spots for a Supercharger along that route. I can limp to St. Louis from my home in Nixa, if it's not too cold. I have family living in various locations in Arkansas and have managed to survive using NEMA 14-50s and 30A dryer outlets to charge and get home when visiting. But the trip to Arkansas is much closer for me.

The latest supercharger 'future forecast" for 2016 now shows much more "love" being given to Arkansas with Superchargers planned around Fayetteville or Ft. Smith (hard to tell on the map which), Hot Springs, Texarcana and Little Rock.

Being patient is hard...but don't forgo getting the car for these small hurdles.
superchargerarkansas.gif

Last edited:
Last week while charging at the Nashville (Brentwood) facility I was told they will soon have a supercharger for public use at the shop!

Thats what they told Chipper back in August 2014. Still waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Understood. Taking my Prius to Tulsa today. The Tesla would make it, but time is a factor and charging there is just very inconvenient.

Have driven my ICE on (3) 1000 mile trips for lack of Superchargers. Only need Nashville and Louisville to complete my route.

I havent replied to this thread I started so after reading I thought I would add something. Isnt the reason to have superchargers is for cross country driving. Not for people who live close to the supercharger. The more people see a Tesla the more potential buyers. So if we can get from Chicago to Memphis and/or Little Rock (also makes it easier for people say in Chicago to travel to New Orleans, Texas, etc. Right now driving from Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee to Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Little Rock has little infrastructure.

That is more people with Tesla's passing through. The better.

Looking at the plan for 2015 and still cant get to any of those locations conveniently.

I havent replied to this thread I started so after reading I thought I would add something. Isnt the reason to have superchargers is for cross country driving. Not for people who live close to the supercharger. The more people see a Tesla the more potential buyers. So if we can get from Chicago to Memphis and/or Little Rock (also makes it easier for people say in Chicago to travel to New Orleans, Texas, etc. Right now driving from Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee to Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Little Rock has little infrastructure.

That is more people with Tesla's passing through. The better.

Looking at the plan for 2015 and still cant get to any of those locations conveniently.
That's my thinking too, and when Tesla hires me as a strategic deployment consultant that's exactly what I'll tell them. As it is, they're looking at where the populations centers are and building from those outward (mostly).
While they'll sell relatively few Teslas in Arkansas, people do travel and someone in New Orleans may not buy if they can't get to Memphis, and vis versa. Try getting from St. Louis to Oklahoma City...there's simply no easy way to do it in a day.

Superchargers are a marketing tool, and Tesla is first putting them on routes that would generate the most interest. Middle America isn't where the bulk of near $100,000 EVs are going to be sold, present company excluded of course.

How do we explain South Dakota, Montana, or Minnesota?
Tennessee is one of the 6 six states of the Federal EV Project. So is Texas, Arizona and CA.
None of the Northern States, except on the west coast were involved.
To boot, many of the states which have SCs actively work against sales of Tesla.
Interstate 40 should have been the cross country start up because of their investment in EVs there.
So I am very confused by the slow growth of SCs in TN, Memphis specifically. (BTW, Very happy with Nashville and Knoxville).

How do we explain South Dakota, Montana, or Minnesota?
Tennessee is one of the 6 six states of the Federal EV Project. So is Texas, Arizona and CA.
None of the Northern States, except on the west coast were involved.
To boot, many of the states which have SCs actively work against sales of Tesla.
Interstate 40 should have been the cross country start up because of their investment in EVs there.
So I am very confused by the slow growth of SCs in TN, Memphis specifically. (BTW, Very happy with Nashville and Knoxville).

Elon chose the northern route for the first cross-country route because he drove that route once upon a time. Lots of details in 2012-2013 posts if you're interested. I don't see what a federal EV project has to do with supercharger routes as it had nothing to do with Tesla.

Reactions: ION eDRV
And the 2017 map at Supercharger | Tesla shows 4 new Superchargers in Arkansas. Hopefully those will be built on schedule.

Well, that was a fond hope!
It's July 2020, and there is only one SC in the whole state of Arkansas! So if I want to go from Little Rock where I live to Oklahoma City, instead of 340 miles direct to OKC via I-40, Tesla's route planner sends me down I-30 to Sulphur Springs, TX, then cross country to pick up I-35 N to OKC, a mere 490 miles. I warrant that there is no interstate in the country with the traffic of I-40 through Arkansas that has such a gap in SC coverage. On I-40, you have to drive from Memphis to OKC if you want to stay on I-40, a distance of 492 mi between superchargers! There is no Tesla alive that can go that distance at even 55 mph.
Arkansas has ONE supercharger, Mississippi has FOUR. Sure, four more have a "target opening in 2020," but they were also targeted for 2019, and 2018, and 2017. Here in Arkansas we feel like Charlie Brown with Tesla holding the football.

It's July 2020, and there is only one SC in the whole state of Arkansas! So if I want to go from Little Rock where I live to Oklahoma City, instead of 340 miles direct to OKC via I-40, Tesla's route planner sends me down I-30 to Sulphur Springs, TX, then cross country to pick up I-35 N to OKC, a mere 490 miles. I warrant that there is no interstate in the country with the traffic of I-40 through Arkansas that has such a gap in SC coverage. On I-40, you have to drive from Memphis to OKC if you want to stay on I-40, a distance of 492 mi between superchargers! There is no Tesla alive that can go that distance at even 55 mph.
Arkansas has ONE supercharger, Mississippi has FOUR. Sure, four more have a "target opening in 2020," but they were also targeted for 2019, and 2018, and 2017. Here in Arkansas we feel like Charlie Brown with Tesla holding the football.

Theres a v3 Supercharger in/near Bentonville, AR now too.

Maybe try:

Little Rock
Lowell
Catoosa (Tulsa), OK
OKC

There is a slight jog in your journey to Lowell, but it might be better (shorter distance) than Sulphur Springs routing.

Be sure to bring coins and Dollar bills for toll roads in Oklahoma.

Best of Luck!!

BTW, I have been to Bentonville at least five times, and there are lots of great places to visit and stay in the vicinity.

There's a couple of CHAdeMO stations along I-40 now that make that stretch doable direct if you have a CHAdeMO adapter.