TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why Toyota and Daimler Looked At And Passed On Tesla - GLG News

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Doug_G, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Why Toyota and Daimler Looked At And Passed On Tesla - GLG News

2. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

Doesn't look like a profound analysis to me.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It is interesting how the very same facts can be "spinned" in wildly different directions...

4. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

This guy thinks because Toyota developed their own hybrid battery, that they can develope an EV battery better than TMs? (I have news for you Jack...owned three Lexus hybrids since 2005...a nice hybrid system for its day, but no where near the engineering in those batteries as TM's...sure Toyota could do it...eventually, if they wanted to invest the time & money...)

Lifton doesn't seem to understand that when you license out your technology, it becomes a revenue stream for YOUR (TM) company.

He clearly doesn't like Elon ("I felt sorry for the ego-driven Tesla genius"), doesn't like TM's small battery architecture ("At the time of the so-called Toyota investment in Tesla's "technology"") and harbours a pre-conceived notion (nee desire) that TM will fail ("When Tesla fails as a mass market car maker...").

He is right about one thing (on being a "lowly Detroiter") which I'm sure explains some of his anti-TM stance.

The good thing for Mr. Lifton is judging from his picture, in his current state of advanced age (old fart), he will not have to endure decades of "I told you so's" when TM succeeds with the Model S. :wink::biggrin:

5. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

That writer is a moron. Until another manufacturer produces a superior EV to Teslas range and performance for a similar price you cannot say they have better engineering/technology.

My guess is it's going to be a long wait to see anything close to Tesla's offering.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

This is the same guy who loves spewing at seeking alpha against lithium batteries. Jack Lifton - Seeking Alpha And he doesn't back up any of this article with any kind of evidence, its all speculation and opinion (same with the guy he quoted). I thought the article revealed something new about the Tesla and Toyota/Daimler deals that showed they "passed" on Tesla, but it actually was the same stuff that was shown to the public.

Of course he failed to mention Daimler is actually increasing their order with Tesla and working with Tesla on the A-Class, and Toyota still has a huge order for the RAV4-EV. I don't see how that signifies them "passing" on Tesla.

7. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

It's pretty obvious why he is against Li-ion batteries his speciality is in RE-metals. The very same that Tesla is hardly using any of. The laptop batteries doesn't use any, neither does their motor, so that leaves only the PEM, which within it's circuits probably has a little bit of RE-metals. No wonder he hates Tesla so much, they are trying to make him less relevant.

Cobos

8. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

even the battery is a development of ac-propulsion. see the specs for the e-mini, made by ac-propulsion for BMW. Tesla improved the batterie-management-system and cooling the battery-back by AC. Tesla has also better chemistry from Panasonic with higher
    energy-density.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Here we go again...another attack to the progress and success of Telsa Motors. Why would Toyota and Mercedes put so much money into a failing venture? That guy seems to be supporting the I.C.E sector.

10. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

No - its not an attack. Daimler needs Tesla battery-pack because its much more inexpensive and powerful, offering higher capacities as Daimler could achieve with their own joint-venture company Li-tec.

11. trevorlsciact

trevorlsciact Member

He was referring to the article I think.

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Yes, that's true. Tesla Motors does have the lead in EV battery tech.

13. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I was referring to the article but "Eberhard" raised a good point.