Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Toyota and Daimler Looked At And Passed On Tesla - GLG News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Why Toyota and Daimler Looked At And Passed On Tesla - GLG News

It is far cheaper for Global 1000 manufacturers to pay technology developers for a look-see at their wares than to try and develop tens of thousands of even good ideas in-house.

Toyota and Daimler follow this rule of limiting their costs on reserach and development.

For this reason, primarily, they both paid some money or, in the case of Toyota, gave a discount to Tesla for a look at its battery use technology.

Neither one seems to have been impressed.

The pump and dump press has ignored this.

This guy thinks because Toyota developed their own hybrid battery, that they can develope an EV battery better than TMs? (I have news for you Jack...owned three Lexus hybrids since 2005...a nice hybrid system for its day, but no where near the engineering in those batteries as TM's...sure Toyota could do it...eventually, if they wanted to invest the time & money...)

Lifton doesn't seem to understand that when you license out your technology, it becomes a revenue stream for YOUR (TM) company.

He clearly doesn't like Elon ("I felt sorry for the ego-driven Tesla genius"), doesn't like TM's small battery architecture ("At the time of the so-called Toyota investment in Tesla's "technology"") and harbours a pre-conceived notion (nee desire) that TM will fail ("When Tesla fails as a mass market car maker...").

He is right about one thing (on being a "lowly Detroiter") which I'm sure explains some of his anti-TM stance.

The good thing for Mr. Lifton is judging from his picture, in his current state of advanced age (old fart), he will not have to endure decades of "I told you so's" when TM succeeds with the Model S. :wink::biggrin:

That writer is a moron. Until another manufacturer produces a superior EV to Teslas range and performance for a similar price you cannot say they have better engineering/technology.

My guess is it's going to be a long wait to see anything close to Tesla's offering.

This is the same guy who loves spewing at seeking alpha against lithium batteries. Jack Lifton - Seeking Alpha And he doesn't back up any of this article with any kind of evidence, its all speculation and opinion (same with the guy he quoted). I thought the article revealed something new about the Tesla and Toyota/Daimler deals that showed they "passed" on Tesla, but it actually was the same stuff that was shown to the public.

Of course he failed to mention Daimler is actually increasing their order with Tesla and working with Tesla on the A-Class, and Toyota still has a huge order for the RAV4-EV. I don't see how that signifies them "passing" on Tesla.

It's pretty obvious why he is against Li-ion batteries his speciality is in RE-metals. The very same that Tesla is hardly using any of. The laptop batteries doesn't use any, neither does their motor, so that leaves only the PEM, which within it's circuits probably has a little bit of RE-metals. No wonder he hates Tesla so much, they are trying to make him less relevant.

Cobos

even the battery is a development of ac-propulsion. see the specs for the e-mini, made by ac-propulsion for BMW. Tesla improved the batterie-management-system and cooling the battery-back by AC. Tesla has also better chemistry from Panasonic with higher
energy-density.