TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why wait for model S. Selling my pre-delivered model S 60D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PratikChicago, Sep 5, 2016.

1. PratikChicago

PratikChicago Member

image.png I've decided that I need to get an SUV and am moving to a model S. So since I have a 60D MS waiting delivery I thought I would see if anyone would like to buy it and avoid the 2-3 month wait. I have a referral discount already applied so you're saving $1,000 off the bat. See attached specs.

Selling at list price minus my 1k discount So please no crazy low ball offers. Must pick up in Chicago.

Thank you

2. Jlwine

Jlwine Member

Are you going to deduct the $7,500 tax credit you will receive from the selling price?

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

You also have pre price increase autopilot that saves another $500.

4. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

My MS was delivered in 39 days from Order placement (not confirmation) to delivery.

5. zambono

zambono Member

You don't have to sell it just cancel your order and eat the $2500.

• Like x 4
  6. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

There is like hundred of new Model S (not CPO, new) that we can get in less than a month.

Like zambono said, cancel it.

7. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Huh? I may be a little extra slow this morning, but did you mean you're moving to a Model X?

8. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

You may still be extra slow but I think he meant X :)

• Funny x 1
  9. Clomer

Clomer Member

Given that the buyer wouldn't be able to claim the $7500 tax credit (and you wouldn't be able to, either, if you immediately sell like that), your best bet if you really don't want it is to cancel your order. You'll lose your deposit, but that's less than the $7500 minimum (and probably more) you'll have to cut off the list price to get a buyer.

You'll take less of a financial hit by just canceling your order rather than trying to sell it on the open market. Tesla will probably still make the car, but they'll just use it as a loaner for a while and then sell it as an inventory car. The person that ultimately buys it will get the inventory car discount and still be able to claim the tax credit.

• Informative x 1
  10. P85DBeast

P85DBeast 3 Model S!! 85D,P85D,P100D

I Agree!

11. PratikChicago

PratikChicago Member

Sorry meant an X you're right. Poor editing on my part when posting from my phone. I'd prefer not to eat the 2500.

12. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Wouldn't you eat the sales tax if you sold it this way though?

13. Hota

Hota Member

If you take delivery, you're going to pay at least an additional $6400 in sales tax. Plus you need to insure it until the title is transferred to the new owner.

In Illinois you're only going to be able to sell that vehicle for $68700 brand new because the new owner can't take the $7500 federal credit and the $4000 Illinois tax credit. This is money you'll eventually get back but pnot right away.

14. Footer

Footer Member

What he said. Nobody will buy it from you. Your only hope of not losing your deposit is to find another buyer and have them buy it directly from Tesla. I think the chances are pretty slim so be prepared to eat the $2500.

15. number12

number12 Member

Cancel is best option.

If for some reason you don't why not trade in day one. Get two tax credits and pay difference in taxes instead of full bill by selling to someone else? At least that is how it is in GA

16. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

Now why wouldn't Tesla just move the deposit to an X? Perhaps they aren't doing that anymore...

17. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

That's the deal. As soon as the car enters in production if you don't want it anymore you lost your deposit. For exemple mine won't enter in production before late december/early january, until then I can change whatever I want.

18. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

You guys are being unreasonable. I bet a new buyer could show up, title the car in their name, get the tax credit, etc etc. Tesla sells cars, which would they care? Now, once the OP wrote took delivery, it is over.

19. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Maybe, but tesla probably wants to discourage people from making reservations for new models as speculative investments, then reselling the reservation. So it wouldn't surprise me if they discouraged the practice of letting somebody else take delivery. Still, I don't know for sure.

20. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Does the Happiness Agreement still exist? If so is Lease and then immediately chop it in for an MX instead an option?