Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wait for model S. Selling my pre-delivered model S 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.png
I've decided that I need to get an SUV and am moving to a model S. So since I have a 60D MS waiting delivery I thought I would see if anyone would like to buy it and avoid the 2-3 month wait. I have a referral discount already applied so you're saving $1,000 off the bat. See attached specs.

Selling at list price minus my 1k discount So please no crazy low ball offers. Must pick up in Chicago.

Thank you

You don't have to sell it just cancel your order and eat the $2500.
Given that the buyer wouldn't be able to claim the $7500 tax credit (and you wouldn't be able to, either, if you immediately sell like that), your best bet if you really don't want it is to cancel your order. You'll lose your deposit, but that's less than the $7500 minimum (and probably more) you'll have to cut off the list price to get a buyer.

You'll take less of a financial hit by just canceling your order rather than trying to sell it on the open market. Tesla will probably still make the car, but they'll just use it as a loaner for a while and then sell it as an inventory car. The person that ultimately buys it will get the inventory car discount and still be able to claim the tax credit.

• Informative
Reactions: Chopr147
Sorry meant an X you're right. Poor editing on my part when posting from my phone. I'd prefer not to eat the 2500.

If you take delivery, you're going to pay at least an additional $6400 in sales tax. Plus you need to insure it until the title is transferred to the new owner.

In Illinois you're only going to be able to sell that vehicle for $68700 brand new because the new owner can't take the $7500 federal credit and the $4000 Illinois tax credit. This is money you'll eventually get back but pnot right away.

Cancel is best option.

If for some reason you don't why not trade in day one. Get two tax credits and pay difference in taxes instead of full bill by selling to someone else? At least that is how it is in GA

Maybe, but tesla probably wants to discourage people from making reservations for new models as speculative investments, then reselling the reservation. So it wouldn't surprise me if they discouraged the practice of letting somebody else take delivery. Still, I don't know for sure.