TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why was Titanium given a death sentence?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by KBurbridge14, Oct 15, 2016.

1. KBurbridge14

KBurbridge14 Member

I'm still wondering why the Titanium color was removed as an exterior color selection. I've been kicking around different potential reasons since the announcement, but am still unconvinced. I ordered and received Titanium at the end of September and really like the color. I don't know if I should be insulted, flattered or disappointed about Tesla's decision. What do you think was the reason? Is it as simple as "it just wasn't popular enough?"

• Like x 1
  2. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

While I don't think it was very popular (it may have been the least popular potentially based on my very unscientific estimate) and therefore might have been dropped like green and brown before it, sometimes popular colors also get replaced. The original dark blue was popular as was the gray and they dropped/replaced them. Could be that a new color is pending to replace it.

• Informative x 1
  3. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I personally liked the Titanium. When I mentioned that to the folks at the local Tesla store they said it was by far the least popular color. This was a few weeks ago, before it was dropped.

BTW I got the fastest color.

4. David99

David99 Active Member

The original brow was discontinued due to lack of popularity. I think Titanium was an attempt to bring it back in a reduced form. Titamium looked like a lighter version of the old brown. I see quite a few Titanium Teslas so I don't think lack of popularity was the case this time.

5. EternalChampion

I saw a titanium P100 Model X last weekend with the 22" black wheels.

It looked atrocious. I'm guessing that's why?

6. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

You can't say that, color is subjective. I don't like dark wheels on any car but I understand somebody else loving them.
    If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world.

• Like x 6
  7. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I always thought it was a little too dark.

8. Ormond

Ormond Member

Originally I was going to order it for a Model S. It's subdued and neutral. My Store had two Models S in titanium. I had one overnight, and received compliments on the color.

• Like x 1
  9. gabeincal

gabeincal Member

We purchased a Titanium S60 in July and love it! The new front without license plate with this color looks awesome in my opinion. Since that, I had a loaner in red and another in pearl white for 2 weeks each and I was really looking forward to have my modest, elegant titanium back. Oh well, this decision makes some of our cars more special like the chocolate S's out there..

IMG_8960.JPG

• Like x 2
  10. Ormond

Ormond Member

It's elegant and understated. Very beautiful! Drive it in good health!

• Like x 2
  11. TheJMan

TheJMan Member

I loved the titanium

12. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Color is completely subjective for an individual. It is completely objective for a manufacture. If it sells a lot the manufacture wants it if does not sell a lot they do not want it.

• Like x 4
  13. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Hmmm... maybe colours where dropped in anticipation for tomorrow's announcement. Perhaps the paint shop will have custom colours instead? Why drop colours with the new fancy-dancy high volume paint shop? To get more volume? :rolleyes:

14. lloyds

lloyds Member

I too was interested in it for the new X and thought it was interesting they discontinued it

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#15 FlatSix911, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    I liked Titanium , however the free market speaks ... it was not a popular color :cool:

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

My wife and I loved the Titanium color. But apparently it was not popular, so now its gone.

17. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

He/she can say it. It just does not make it factual. I mean, you might say the same thing about my wife but I think she's hot as a firecracker. ;)

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

My guess is that there is some supplier issue with that color (and white).

19. EternalChampion

Exactly. Color is subjective. Which is why I can say that I thought it looked atrocious. Thanks.

20. Mjølner

Mjølner Member

I have an old S in Titanium, and ordered my upcoming X with this beautiful colour to.
    I love it(also because it's rare), and for me, it was the only choice.
    But now I got a call from Tesla, that I have to change it due to wished delivery in April/May. Last one's are made in November.
    I've had PearlWhite, MidnightSilver and Titanium on earlier MS, and none off the other colour's are interesting. I have to decide soon. Does anyone know, or heard of new color's coming? Find it really od that just 5 color's are offered......