Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wasn't Tesla part of the 100 Tech Companies Signing against the Travel Ban?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why wasn't Tesla part of the 100 Tech Companies Signing against the travel Ban?

Is Elon Musk a closet supporter of Donald Trump? If he is, I'm disgusted and removing all of my support for the company.
He's clearly spoken out against the ban. So you're safe, you don't need to be disgusted anymore. :)

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.30.38 AM.png

Is Elon Musk a closet supporter of Donald Trump? If he is, I'm disgusted and removing all of my support for the company.

Your support will surely be missed.

I despise Donald Trump, but people need to stop concerning themselves with every single thing Elon does in this regard. He's stated his opinion of the administration's policies, and we certainly know his views concerning climate science.

Let it go.

Most companies that are vocal about the ban are those that worry about H1B (and other work visas) restrictions and they care little about refugees.

Last edited:
Why and how do these 7 countries really matter for the tech industry? We are not going to lose anything if folks cannot travel from these countries and even if Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are extended to that list. There will be some collateral damage and some deserving folks might be impacted, but that is true for any decision at this scale.

You need to pick and choose your fights. These countries are not worth our time. They are extremist US hating hell holes. Honestly I wish they fall of the maps.

Musk should just focus on one thing and one thing only: issues that impact transformation to green energy and electrification of transportation. Everything else is a distraction.

He should leverage his unique status on being in the Trump's advisory council to advance that agenda. Let Syrians and other Muslims fight it out and set their house straight. We don't need their centuries old ethnic/religious conflicts in our shores.

Your support will surely be missed.

I despise Donald Trump, but people need to stop concerning themselves with every single thing Elon does in this regard. He's stated his opinion of the administration's policies, and we certainly know his views concerning climate science.

Let it go.

Donald Trump's views may change. People change, so please be hopeful.

Musk should just focus on one thing and one thing only: issues that impact transformation to green energy and electrification of transportation. Everything else is a distraction.

He should leverage his unique status on being in the Trump's advisory council to advance that agenda. Let Syrians and other Muslims fight it out and set their house straight. We don't need their centuries old ethnic/religious conflicts in our shores.

Kumar, the problem is with the discrimination that he's causing. From your name, you sound Indian. I'll bet you, as an Indian you'll be getting more racial hate once Trump's hate is legitimized. Remember, don't wait for the Gestapo to come knocking at your door before you start resisting them.

Well considering the founders of: Apple, Ebay, and several of these giants were from these 7 countries, I would disagree with the notion that this doesn't matter.

I may have to challenge that. I can't seem to find the connection between Jobs or Wozniak to Syria or Yemen. And Ebay's founder was a French citizen, son of Iranian immigrants. Iran is unfortunately caught up on that list, because of its location and Nuclear weapons program. But the rest - Libya, Sudan, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Yemen? Lets not lose sleep over these,

I may have to challenge that. I can't seem to find the connection between Jobs or Wozniak to Syria or Yemen. And Ebay's founder was a French citizen, son of Iranian immigrants. Iran is unfortunately caught up on that list, because of its location and Nuclear weapons program. But the rest - Libya, Sudan, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Yemen? Lets not lose sleep over these,
Well, that's easy: Steve Jobs' father was a Syrian migrant to the U.S.

But more importantly, you appear to have a very skewed perspective of these countries. It's a mistake to lump all the people of any given national origin like that. That's seriously messed up. These are people like people from anywhere else and you'll find all sorts of individuals in this group. If you're so inclined, you can read about all sorts of doctors, scientists, well, heck... create a list of professions that you have some respect for and yes, you'll find that they come from these countries that you've learned to despise. With the current upheaval from Trump's immigration ban, I've certainly been seeing more personal stories about such individuals lately. I guess it depends on where you get your news from though.

Thanks for the graph, @disagree.

Not all Tesla components are domestic.

Tesla still has quite a few components that are imported so a border-adjusted tax would increase the price of those imported components which in turn would increase the price of a whole car as well.

Iran is unfortunately caught up on that list, because of its location and Nuclear weapons program.

Don't fool yourself. Iran is on this list because it met the following criteria:

1. Muslim country; and
2. Trump has no business connections to it.

But the rest - Libya, Sudan, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Yemen? Lets not lose sleep over these,

It's not about losing sleep. It's about sound political decisions made on the basis of increasing the security of the US in a way that does not breach the Constitution.

But if losing sleep is your concern, try sleeping in a war zone. Children "sleeping" in war zones, without any ray of hope, is a good way to foster terrorism. Providing some relief, even if they don't all get out, but some do, to that bastion of freedom, the US (or Canada, Australia, NZ, etc.) is a way to prevent terror, at least in my view. The travel ban was a gift to ISIS for a very good reason -- it plays right into their recruiting efforts at a time when they were losing ground.

Last edited: